The Student Room Group

I'm so confused in resitting GCSE maths in year 13

Guys if I were to resit GCSE maths higher tier paper to try and get a 6 what would happen if I underachieved and say I got a 4? I currently hold a 5 in foundation maths, would that mean that higher tier grade would override my current grade? Is it the same vice versa? If I succeeded and got a 6 would it simply override my foundation gcse grade?

Also I'm planning on taking a gap year so once I get the grades in August next year can I apply to unis. If so, how would I input the new maths grade as it asks for a school, do I just put the private exams centre I did my exams in?

This is soooo confusing I want to cry 😭😭😭😭
Reply 1
Original post by Clivierx
Guys if I were to resit GCSE maths higher tier paper to try and get a 6 what would happen if I underachieved and say I got a 4? I currently hold a 5 in foundation maths, would that mean that higher tier grade would override my current grade? Is it the same vice versa? If I succeeded and got a 6 would it simply override my foundation gcse grade?

Also I'm planning on taking a gap year so once I get the grades in August next year can I apply to unis. If so, how would I input the new maths grade as it asks for a school, do I just put the private exams centre I did my exams in?

This is soooo confusing I want to cry 😭😭😭😭

https://www.tes.com/magazine/analysis/secondary/gcse-resits-everything-you-need-know
i don't know if the higher grade will override the lower grade :frown: sorry

did your teacher tell you about it?
Reply 4
Original post by beautifulworld
i don't know if the higher grade will override the lower grade :frown: sorry

did your teacher tell you about it?

Hi in year 13 for context. Will GCSE exam dates clash with my A Level exam dates? I swear GCSE students go first?
Reply 5
This was super helpful

Your best grade counts :smile:
Hi in year 13 for context. Will GCSE exam dates clash with my A Level exam dates? I swear GCSE students go first?

i don't know the exam dates :frown:
did your school tell you?
Reply 7
Original post by Muttley79
Your best grade counts :smile:

Hi, I called UCAS today and the guy on the phone told me otherwise?? I asked him if I got a worse grade than what I got now universities will use my most recent grade. I'm super confused right now and this has thrown me off from retaking maths massively. :frown:
Reply 8
Original post by beautifulworld
i don't know the exam dates :frown:
did your school tell you?

Ill go and search online, if not ill go ask my teachers or exam officers. Good point!
Reply 9
Hi, I called UCAS today and the guy on the phone told me otherwise?? I asked him if I got a worse grade than what I got now universities will use my most recent grade. I'm super confused right now and this has thrown me off from retaking maths massively. :frown:

The link I posted is from the Times Educational Supplement - the paper for teachers! I doubt it would get it wrong
Reply 10
Original post by Muttley79
The link I posted is from the Times Educational Supplement - the paper for teachers! I doubt it would get it wrong

Then what should I do? I'm getting two conflicting information :frown:
Reply 11
Then what should I do? I'm getting two conflicting information :frown:

I suspect the person from UCAS is getting confused about remarks. For those, if the grade goes down, you lose the higher mark.

For resits though, everything I've read states that you keep the higher mark.
Reply 12
Original post by lalexm
I suspect the person from UCAS is getting confused about remarks. For those, if the grade goes down, you lose the higher mark.

For resits though, everything I've read states that you keep the higher mark.

Even if the subject you're retaking is two entirely different tiers. You think it's worth ringing them up again?
Reply 13
Even if the subject you're retaking is two entirely different tiers. You think it's worth ringing them up again?

Yep, I think it would be worth calling them again.
Reply 14
Original post by lalexm
Yep, I think it would be worth calling them again.

Ok, I'll let you in on what they tell me!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending