The Student Room Group

Should I reject oxford?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ConicalFlask
As a city, Oxford is expensive (though not that much more than other touristy places), but an actual degree at Oxford costs the same as any other Russel group university. Accommodation costs are often lower as you onyl pay for your room when you're living there, not through the holidays, many colleges have some sort of self catering facilities, and food in the dining hall is generally subsidised. In addition, there is the Oxford bursary for students on low income, as well as many other support funds that vary from college to college.

Providing that OP is not overseas and that he wouldn't mind moving out between terms (I find that really annoying).
I would be a little suspicious of knowing confidently whether you will enjoy a university and city or not. One visit is not really enough to form a strong opinion.

The biggest differences with an Oxbridge degree is that your peers will be cleverer, and some of the teaching will be more intense e.g. 1 to 1 up to 4 to 1 regularly.
Original post by lili2000
So I’m currently on a gap year and after receiving my grades I’ve been encouraged to apply to oxford. I didn’t know where to put down as my final choice so just put oxford down for the sake of it not thinking I’d get in.

Long story short, I’ve had an offer. And I feel so selfish considering there are so many people just like me and better than me who weren’t offered a place who wanted it so badly, but I just don’t think it’s for me. I recently went to visit a friend at her college at Oxford and I hated it. I really don’t like the idea of a collegiate system, I don’t like how much academic pressure there is and I don’t like the environment in oxford. I think it’s a beautiful city but I am a big city lover and I’ve had offers from places like London, Manchester and Edinburgh which I can see myself being so much happier at.

However, career prospects are really important to me. I understand that attending Oxbridge allows you to stand out from the crowd a lot in terms of employability, but will going to a different uni hinder my chances of succeeding later in life? Am I being stupid rejecting oxford if attending means that I’ll get the career that I want even if my time in uni isn’t that enjoyable? I want to do a masters anyway (potentially at oxford or a like university) so will it really make a difference having an undergraduate degree from here or not? Please can someone help me :frown:

It’s really quite simple, reject Oxford. It’s clear from your post that you’re not into the college system and that the pressure doesn’t sit well with you. It would therefore be a very bad decision to go to a university you know you’ll be unhappy at for the sake of prestige.

Most people didn’t go to Oxbridge and most of them can make successful careers, it’s a complete myth that not going to Oxford means your career will suffer in any meaningful way, it won’t. It’s far, far wiser to attend a university you know you’ll be content in.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by ConicalFlask
As a city, Oxford is expensive (though not that much more than other touristy places), but an actual degree at Oxford costs the same as any other Russel group university. Accommodation costs are often lower as you onyl pay for your room when you're living there, not through the holidays, many colleges have some sort of self catering facilities, and food in the dining hall is generally subsidised. In addition, there is the Oxford bursary for students on low income, as well as many other support funds that vary from college to college.

Don't be put off Oxford purely because of the cost because that's not going to be drastically different from any other university.

I’m guessing you are at Oxford?
What is it like going there? The uni, the town, the accommodation?
For research purposes?:wink:
Reply 24
Just piping up to say I had a great experience at Edinburgh and don’t regret going there over Oxford a single bit - it’s academically rigorous without being stifling and the city and university are great (although ostensibly this is especially true of arts and humanities subjects, whereas teaching on maths and sciences is a bit more hit or miss).
I think it depends on what your other options are - the only unis for which I think one could consider rejecting Oxbridge are LSE/Imperial/UCL. If you have an offer from one of these then I don’t think it would make such a huge difference. Still, I think you should probably visit Oxford again and give it another chance
So I’m currently on a gap year and after receiving my grades I’ve been encouraged to apply to oxford. I didn’t know where to put down as my final choice so just put oxford down for the sake of it not thinking I’d get in.

Long story short, I’ve had an offer. And I feel so selfish considering there are so many people just like me and better than me who weren’t offered a place who wanted it so badly, but I just don’t think it’s for me. I recently went to visit a friend at her college at Oxford and I hated it. I really don’t like the idea of a collegiate system, I don’t like how much academic pressure there is and I don’t like the environment in oxford. I think it’s a beautiful city but I am a big city lover and I’ve had offers from places like London, Manchester and Edinburgh which I can see myself being so much happier at.

However, career prospects are really important to me. I understand that attending Oxbridge allows you to stand out from the crowd a lot in terms of employability, but will going to a different uni hinder my chances of succeeding later in life? Am I being stupid rejecting oxford if attending means that I’ll get the career that I want even if my time in uni isn’t that enjoyable? I want to do a masters anyway (potentially at oxford or a like university) so will it really make a difference having an undergraduate degree from here or not? Please can someone help me :frown:

One thing I would say is that the environment in which your chosen university is set, rural or urban, town or country, matters a whole lot less than you might imagine in does when applying. Also, even if you are in love with the idea of the urban buzz, clubbing out every night or whatever, Oxford isn't a million miles from London - in fact, it's an hour by train - and loads of students go out in London and return late evening. It's a hell of a lot better being at a world famous college with huge potentials on all fronts for rich and rewarding experiences, fun intelligent company and shedloads of social and career opportunities in a town an hour from London than being in London at a less prestigious institution.

It might not be the absolute be all and end all in future career terms, but in the real world, for lots of exciting things you will want to do in your life, either in this country or elsewhere, having an Oxford degree will do nothing but help you to the max. The alternatives are good, but less good. (I am not going to get into a shouting match about Imperial or UCL or Warwick or wherever being as good as - they almost are, but not quite, in reality, at undergrad level.) For a Masters, the choice is much broader, but again, having an Oxford undergrad degree at that stage will only help maximise those choices for you.

I have no idea why you think a collegiate system would not be good for you. I can faithfully say that I hardly ever hear people who have been through it to be critical of it, quite the contrary. College life is in fact totally fab and people miss it hugely when they leave, which is why quite a few want to return to it as academics! :teehee:
If I was you, I'd take it.. at the end of the day you only live once and you should take the gamble and go to such an amazing uni 😊 x
Reply 28
Original post by random_matt
I hear ya, the collegiate system is garbage in my opinion, never believed in segregation.

Segregation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

As I grow, I see that life is indeed weird. There are many people, who would do anything to be in your situation. I understand that it is your choice, but you should think long and hard before making such a decision.

First of all, what you have done is to take nonsense heard about pressure as fact. Yes, you would be stretched there, but you would also be stretched in other decent universities. Besides, there are loads of support networks to help if you cant cope. You should not attend any university that does not properly stretch and challenge you. Why spend thousands of pounds for a 3 or 4 year holiday?

Second, what exactly did you hate with the collegiate system? Where you at Christ Church or Balliol or Brasenose? You want to be at a university where you are faceless and nameless rather than a place that can manage their students in smaller sizes.

In terms of career prospects, it largely depends on you. Of course, certain universities and courses may help you in some instances, but the whole journey depends on you.

My advice is to visit again and go to your Department. Walk around and try to picture yourself there. If you still don't want to go there, then it is fine. My plea is to be careful with your decision.

Don't go. It isn't selfish to apply and you haven't "taken the place from anyone". More people have offers than there are places, so probably the same number of people will recieve a place. There is a lot of academic pressure and it really is not worth it unless you are extremely committed. You certainly know the answer but I imagine you're scared of everyones reactions when you tell them you turned Oxford down. Believe me, their reactions will be worse if you have to tell them you're dropping out of Oxford or hating every minute of it. If you hated oxford whilst you were there then you'll probably get a lower grade at oxford than you would at another university. This will probably hurt your employment chances more than the Oxford name will help it.

This is 3/4 years of your life - a massive chunk. Don't throw away 3 years for no gain (no gain for you personally) to please others/relieve some of the pressure that you feel from other people. This pressure wont go away if you go to Oxford, you'll just have it for 3/4 years instead.

My advice is look at the difference in the courses at the other universities, what the city is like, the uni's attitude to work e.t.c - and then decide which one you will be the happiest at. Not only will you have a much nicer 3 years (which is significant) but you will probably get a better grade.

p.s I am at oxbridge and had similar views to you, if that means anything. Feel free to message me if u have any questionies
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Wired_1800

Second, what exactly did you hate with the collegiate system? Where you at Christ Church or Balliol or Brasenose? You want to be at a university where you are faceless and nameless rather than a place that can manage their students in smaller sizes.

Out of curiosity, can I ask why you mentioned those 3 colleges in particular?
If you don't like it, or don't think you'd enjoy it, you absolutely shouldn't feel any pressure to accept it! I also had a lot of people suggesting that I apply for Oxford, but in the end I had similar feelings to you, and opted to not apply. Personally, I think that the better experience that you'll have at a different uni outweights the slight advantage that you may have after you graduate.
Reply 33
Original post by pswpsw
why apply if you dont like it in the first place?? the offer could’ve gone to someone else who really wanted it more...

Original post by wailzy
so you applied to one of the most vigirous selection processes in the world, only to be offered a place and reject it? Why apply to begin with. This is very illogical, you either want to go to Oxford or you dont. Why are you asking people on the internet to make that decision for you?

I know of a lot of applicants who applied to Oxbridge, simply to see how far they would get in the process, with no expectation of being given an offer. I personally applied to Cambridge for the sake of it- I know I would've regretted not applying, regardless of the outcome.
Thread title: "Should I reject Oxford?"

Picture that TSR uses to illustrate the thread on "Today on TSR": Emmanuel College, Cambridge.

Hi, I am in year 13 and I decided to apply to Oxford to do history as I get good grades and there is no harm in trying- miraculously I ended up getting an offer. When I went for my interviews I felt out of place with the people there (I come from the east middlands and I feel a bit inferior because I don't think I'm clever enough and don't fit in because of my accent). However, I do love Oxford as a place and as much as it scares me I think it will train me up well to work hard in my career and build my confidence. So I very much understand your position and I'm currently in the process of deciding whether to go for it and put Oxford as my firm, or go for Warwick where I imagined myself going as I thought I wouldn't have gotten into Oxford.
Original post by Divine Masculine
Out of curiosity, can I ask why you mentioned those 3 colleges in particular?

They, and some others, have the reputation of being the most oversubscribed colleges based on popularity. Also, they are regarded as the most prestigious.
What the **** don't listen to the people here if you reject oxford you will regret it for the rest of your life.

The only reason you should consider rejecting it is if you have offers from UCL/Imperial/LSE . If not then don't, people would die to be in your position.

You are paying a lot of money to go to uni. You have more chances to make friends and enjoy the cities later on in life. Where you study matters for the rest of your life. Don't waste it because "you don't like the college system"....
If Oxford’s not right for you don’t go! I had a friend in the exact same situation, she applied to Oxford because of the pressure from our college to apply even though she didn’t love it, she ended up getting an offer but rejected it in favour of Edinburgh (a city and uni that she loved). I know a few people there who love it and have always wanted to go there and I know a few who are really miserable and wish they’d gone somewhere else. If you don’t like it I wouldn’t feel bad about rejecting it, at the end of the day you’ll probably perform better somewhere you’re happier. A first from another good uni would still give you excellent job prospects!
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Thread title: "Should I reject Oxford?"

Picture that TSR uses to illustrate the thread on "Today on TSR": Emmanuel College, Cambridge.

When everyone knows that any story about Oxford undergraduates should be illustrated by a picture of the North Quadrangle of All Souls

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending