The Student Room Group

Struggling to cope with final year of uni - depression/anxiety/stress

Hi, so I'm in my final year of uni and I'm incredibly depressed and cant cope with anything. As I'm sure most of you aware, January is one of the main assessment periods at uni and I've had 5 deadlines due in within a few days of each other. As someone who usually leaves their work until the day its due and usually gets very high marks, for some reason this time its different. I knew I couldn't physically do the work. Everytime I tried I was literally vomiting and crying non-stop and having horrible panic-attacks. I've also been quite suicidal and almost took my life a few times over the break, so I knew I needed to see someone to get help. I went to my local GP and he diagnosed me with anxiety and depression. Put me on anti-depressants and gave me a sick note for 4 weeks. I applied for an extension for my assignments with the uni and they got back to me with a 3 week extension and had the intention of completing my work. Unfortunately, even with this 3 week extension which is nearly up I still haven't been able to do the work, if anything I have got worse. My medication is really starting to kick in and I have deadlines due all of next week, one starting monday. I have tried to speak to people at uni but arent really getting anywhere. I applied for an EMC to try and defer my assignments until May which is the next proper assessments but all my deadlines are due this week and the day that EMC is going to be reviewed is in 2 weeks time. I really dont know what to do because i know that I'm not mentally able to do the tasks. I'm petrified of not handing anything in so I'd automatically get a 0 and then be declined for the EMC and then i'm basically screwed. I really dont know what to do but i know i cant do the work because how ill it makes me
Reply 1
Get some help immediately. Find someone that you are able to confide in & don’t try to deal with this alone. Your university have a duty of care & it is vital that you seek some help with your current health issues. There must be someone that you can talk to.

Well done for being so brave & honest about how you are feeling. Please find someone to talk to and now if possible; especially if you are really struggling. There are lots of organisations, along with your university that can help you.

Your health is so much more important than your course work - get well and seek help; speak to your university and tell them honestly how you are feeling.

Take care and good luck 🙂
Reply 2
i would highly suggest maybe ranking the work into most necessary to least necessary (obviously all are important but even then you have to prioritise i suppose) and break the ones that weigh more marks or whatever into small chunks and try to get through a little bit each day. even if you do a page, or a line, it`s something. please don't believe you arent capable of the work, youre stronger than you think even if some days seem impossible to get through, youve survived suicidal thoughts and depression and every bad day so far. youre so strong for admitting something hurts and reaching out for help. you are more than capable of doing the work so i want you to tell yourself that an believe it. maybe not immediately in one chunk, but slowly and steadily if you do a little bit here and there until you feel more able to do more, youll surprise yourself. youve gotten to third year, which is an accomplishment on it's own, and you wouldnt be here if you werent a tough cookie. yes true youre struggling but it`s in the struggle that you become sharper, so as hopeless as life may seem sometimes, try not to lose hope for yourself. i know it's easier said than done and sometimes everything life throws at you tells otherwise but it's just the twisted way the universe teaches us i suppose. also the uni are dicks for not giving the appropriate support, try to talk to them again and explain everything, really chase them up if you can. i know it's not ideal and you shouldnt have to chase them up, but it's necessary. if you want to talk or something my dms are open, i wish you the best of luck and know that youre the s h i t

Quick Reply

Latest