The Student Room Group

Edexcel A-level Statistics and Mechanics - 14th June 2019 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chickenhoe
Guys honestly I haven't started statistics and I find it really hard.How do I study?

If you can ask your teachers they are the best and I found they could explain something to me in 5 minutes that was taking me an hour to work out by myself; for stats.
Reply 41
Thank you!
Original post by Notnek
Here are some old spec stats/mechanics questions that I recommend having a go at. I chose them because they have a focus on modelling and/or they are hard, to prepare you for the difficulty of the new spec.

You can find the mark schemes if you search online. Physics and maths tutor contains links to all of these exams and mark schemes.

OCR MEI M1 June 2016 Q6

OCR MEI M2 June 2009 Q3

OCR MEI June 2011 S1 Q7

OCR MEI June 2012 S2 Q3

OCR MEI Jan 2012 M1 Q7

OCR MEI Jan 2006 S2 Q2

S2 IAL Jan 2015 Q7

M2 IAL Jan 2016 Q3

M2 IAL Jan 2016 Q6

Reply 42
Thanks again
Original post by Notnek
Large Data Set Resources (Edexcel only)

Also make sure you attempt every question related to the LDS in your textbook. When you revise, try using some of the statistical tests against the LDS data e.g. you could find the standard deviation of part of it and think about its limitations.

Finally make sure you try every question involving the LDS in all the specimen, mock, past and practice papers.

I think if you do all of this then you'll be better prepared than most and should be able to tackle an LDS question in the real thing.

If you couldn't do 2018 stats & mechanics Q1 without looking at the LDS then you don't know it well enough! Understanding units like oktas for example is fundamental LDS knowledge.
zig zag practice paper 2 mechanics question 9

Anyone know if it is possible to take moment from point Q?
Note: Works perfectly fine if moment is taken from point P.

i get w(8x+1)/6 instead.

Thanks
Much appreciated
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...qOLIq8c1LQpRkX

zig zag practice paper 2 mechanics question 9

Anyone know if it is possible to take moment from point Q?
Note: Works perfectly fine if moment is taken from point P.

i get w(8x+1)/6 instead.

Thanks
Much appreciated
Firstly, you honestly been so helpful and an amazing person helping out here. I looked at the markscheme for the last question, but I dont understand part b i or ii? How do we work out if it is parallel?
Original post by Notnek
Here are some old spec stats/mechanics questions that I recommend having a go at. I chose them because they have a focus on modelling and/or they are hard, to prepare you for the difficulty of the new spec.

You can find the mark schemes if you search online. Physics and maths tutor contains links to all of these exams and mark schemes.

OCR MEI M1 June 2016 Q6

OCR MEI M2 June 2009 Q3

OCR MEI June 2011 S1 Q7

OCR MEI June 2012 S2 Q3

OCR MEI Jan 2012 M1 Q7

OCR MEI Jan 2006 S2 Q2

S2 IAL Jan 2015 Q7

M2 IAL Jan 2016 Q3

M2 IAL Jan 2016 Q6

you need to know the sort of proofs for the projectile motion. It's in the Year 2 Stars book
Reply 47
I know these ones, but do we need to know the proofs sor SUVAT??
Original post by Frisky45
you need to know the sort of proofs for the projectile motion. It's in the Year 2 Stars book
Reply 48
Original post by msbx
I know these ones, but do we need to know the proofs sor SUVAT??

Yes please read through your spec.
Could we potentially be asked a question like this for static rigid bodies? Thanks
Thanks for these!!!!
Original post by Notnek

OCR MEI M1 June 2016 Q6

OCR MEI M2 June 2009 Q3

OCR MEI June 2011 S1 Q7

OCR MEI June 2012 S2 Q3

OCR MEI Jan 2012 M1 Q7

OCR MEI Jan 2006 S2 Q2

S2 IAL Jan 2015 Q7

M2 IAL Jan 2016 Q3

M2 IAL Jan 2016 Q6

Reply 51
Original post by NATHan w
Could we potentially be asked a question like this for static rigid bodies? Thanks

Yes
Reply 52
What paper/question set is this from
Original post by NATHan w
Reply 54
actually dreading tomorrow. had 3 exams this week at this point all I want is sleep
For S2 IAL Jan 2015 Q7, how do they get the z value of 2 please ?
Reply 57
Use the inverse normal function on the calculator - set area as 0.0228 and should get 2
Original post by 1233333344s222
For S2 IAL Jan 2015 Q7, how do they get the z value of 2 please ?
Reply 58
really helpful, thank you. any chance anyone can enlighten how to spot and use thrust in a question?
Original post by Notnek
Some of my personal tips that have been put together from old M1/2 threads. I'll be adding stats tips and possibly more for mechanics today and tomorrow. I'll also be adding tips on how to revise for this paper in this thread. If anyone has any questions about any of these tips then please ask me.

Edexcel Mechanics Tips

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending