The Student Room Group

Will I be able to get a grade 7 in maths?

Hi, I've got my maths GCSEs exams in around 2 months, and I really haven't put much effort into it since it's always been my worst subject and I avoided it thinking I had time. I am at a 5 but want a 7.

Will it be possible? How much revision should I do each day?

It feels as if I'm running out of time and I haven't done enough.
Will definitely be possible, still a good two months to go! When I did maths gcse, it wasn’t so much about the hours but about the quality of revision - I’d focus on past papers, look at markschemes, memorise the specification and make a list of weakest topics and how to tackle them. I did the WJEC exam board so grade boundaries were low-ish - not sure about other exam boards. For revision, there’s Hegarty Maths on YouTube, BBC Bitesize, MyMaths (check if your school has subscription) and lots of good textbooks. I’m sure you’ll be totally fine! Good luck!
Reply 2
Hey there!

I'm in the same position, so I've also got my maths GCSE in 2 months. I found that doing past papers all the time helped, as most of the questions are repeated with different numbers.

Also, try Maths Genie; the website has papers based on different topics and on different difficulty levels.

Good luck!
The thing that helped me the best and i found really effective is to go through the specification, tick a list of topics you find the hardest, the. Go online and print out worksheets for each topic and make a booklet then just work through the booklet till it’s completed :smile:
Once you are confident with the content do as many past papers as you can. I ended up doing all of them from the mid to late 2000s and got top grade. Working backwards from the papers or even just going straight to the hard ones is great use for learning different situations your maths problems can be in.
Original post by viol.aaa
Will definitely be possible, still a good two months to go! When I did maths gcse, it wasn’t so much about the hours but about the quality of revision - I’d focus on past papers, look at markschemes, memorise the specification and make a list of weakest topics and how to tackle them. I did the WJEC exam board so grade boundaries were low-ish - not sure about other exam boards. For revision, there’s Hegarty Maths on YouTube, BBC Bitesize, MyMaths (check if your school has subscription) and lots of good textbooks. I’m sure you’ll be totally fine! Good luck!

thank you sm xo
thank youuu x
Original post by Marcus_:D
Once you are confident with the content do as many past papers as you can. I ended up doing all of them from the mid to late 2000s and got top grade. Working backwards from the papers or even just going straight to the hard ones is great use for learning different situations your maths problems can be in.

Original post by Y12_FurtherMaths
The thing that helped me the best and i found really effective is to go through the specification, tick a list of topics you find the hardest, the. Go online and print out worksheets for each topic and make a booklet then just work through the booklet till it’s completed :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest