The Student Room Group

Apprehensive about University.

Hey there, I hope someone can help me with this!

I've applied to University through UCAS and I have made a Firm and an Insurance choice with grades that are within my capability. The problem is that recently I've been extremely worried about going to University to the point where I'm considering cancelling my choices completely.

I'm wondering how I'd do this if that is what I decided to do. Do I have to contact UCAS or go directly to the Universities and ask them if they'll let me go?

At the moment I just feel like I've been pressured into doing something that I don't want to do and I feel that I won't enjoy it (obviously I can't be certain, but I'd rather be happy with myself).

As a consequence of being extremely worried I feel like I have a load on my mind and am finding it hard to concentrate in the last week of school and fear for my A2 exams that are coming up quickly. Although I've been predicted A's I feel like I have a lot to live up to.

Any help or responses would be greatly appreciated.

Glen.
I'd say don't do anything rash like cancel your choices at the moment, wait until the summer and think about it more then. Is it University in general, the course you've applied to do? What is it that's making you apprehensive?
Reply 2
I think it's the idea of University in general. There's something in me that just wants to get out into the world and start getting proper job experience rather than studying for 3 more years and getting into debt; I know there's a lot of people on here that are going to disagree with me there and I respect their opinion.

When I went to the Universities on visit days I did quite like the idea of it, but even then I didn't feel as if I'd properly fit into any of them and I didn't feel that it was for me.

I feel extremely confused.
Reply 3
I felt a bit like that after my first term at uni, so I dropped out.

It's been three years of "proper job experience" and I'm running back to uni to get a degree and a proper career!

It sounds like maybe you'd benefit from a gap year to clear your head though. But I wouldn't do anything rash; you can wait as long as you want really, within reason. If it were me, I'd wait till results day and see how I felt then, having had the break from school and all. You can easily just withdraw from the UCAS system entirely (just go through UCAS I think) for the year, and then maybe reapply next year if you fancy it.
Well, you've still got some months before you have to decide. Get a job in the summer and see how you like it, if you want to stay then you could ask to defer your entry to uni for a year and get a better idea of what life is like in the working world. Even if you then decide to go to uni, at least you will have some money in the bank to help you and if not then you've got some experience for your CV.

Do you know what job you would be wanting to do?

Latest

Trending

Trending