The Student Room Group

GCSE grade boundaries 2019

What do u think the GCSEs grade boundaries will be for 2019?
Original post by meriem_ait

We don't have a clue. No one has even seen the papers yet (apart from the writers), let alone sit them so we at least have a modicum of an idea with regards to the difficulty.

Speculation is unhelpful and wholly unreliable.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/Support/Grade-boundaries/International-GCSE/1901-igcse-legacy-notional-component-grade-boundaries.pdf
https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/Support/Grade-boundaries/International-GCSE/1901-igcse-9-1-subject-grade-boundaries.pdf

Those are the latest grade boundaries for edexcel gcse subjects so should be something like that during summer examinations.
Maths is 77% for (9) and 19% for (4).
Keep in mind that January exams are usually for people who retake their gcse's (so they are way more prepared and motivated to get a better grade) therefore summer grade boundaries will be a few percent lower.
No idea about aqa and ocr thou.
Reply 3
Thankyou!!
Original post by xipo7101
https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/Support/Grade-boundaries/International-GCSE/1901-igcse-legacy-notional-component-grade-boundaries.pdf
https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/Support/Grade-boundaries/International-GCSE/1901-igcse-9-1-subject-grade-boundaries.pdf

Those are the latest grade boundaries for edexcel gcse subjects so should be something like that during summer examinations.
Maths is 77% for (9) and 19% for (4).
Keep in mind that January exams are usually for people who retake their gcse's (so they are way more prepared and motivated to get a better grade) therefore summer grade boundaries will be a few percent lower.
No idea about aqa and ocr thou.
Reply 4
They'll probably go up when compared to last year - if you look at when they changed the GCSE back in 2008 (I think it was this year) the grade boundaries were very low, and rose every year.

In 2017 with the new English/Maths GCSE the grade boundaries were low, and they rose for the 2018 cohort so I'd imagine they'd follow the same pattern and go up even more (unless the exam is incredibly hard - which is unlikely as the hardness is controlled relative to previous exams)
Reply 5
Thanks but how many marks could they go higiher cos all my teachers r saying like 80% is a 9 when 60% just last year was a 9.... like can they rlly change that drastically?
Original post by hoixw
They'll probably go up when compared to last year - if you look at when they changed the GCSE back in 2008 (I think it was this year) the grade boundaries were very low, and rose every year.

In 2017 with the new English/Maths GCSE the grade boundaries were low, and they rose for the 2018 cohort so I'd imagine they'd follow the same pattern and go up even more (unless the exam is incredibly hard - which is unlikely as the hardness is controlled relative to previous exams)
Reply 6
Thanks but how many marks could they go higiher cos all my teachers r saying like 80% is a 9 when 60% just last year was a 9.... like can they rlly change that drastically?

Probably not that much, but you really should aim for 80%+ in the mocks so that you're better prepared for the real exams. Maybe they used easier questions and adjusted the mark scheme accordingly?
Reply 7
I mean they used last year’s papers🤷🏻*♀️
Original post by hoixw
Probably not that much, but you really should aim for 80%+ in the mocks so that you're better prepared for the real exams. Maybe they used easier questions and adjusted the mark scheme accordingly?
Reply 8
Learn everything and get 100% and you won't need to worry about grade boundaries
Reply 9
Fairs
Original post by xAikx
Learn everything and get 100% and you won't need to worry about grade boundaries
but as these are based on % of cohort it will not be mark based it will be based on your place nationally
Original post by hoixw

Reply 11
Original post by tltom2601
but as these are based on % of cohort it will not be mark based it will be based on your place nationally

GCSEs were also graded relative to national performance from 2008 as well. It's nothing new
Reply 12

You can’t predict boundaries as it’s a sum of how everyone did

Quick Reply

Latest