The Student Room Group

Biology help?

Why do fatty deposits build up in the arteries where its high pressure and the blood is flowing faster, and not in the veins when the blood is at lower pressure, because like in a river deposition happens more in slower moving water because it has less energy so why does it work the other way round with blood? Also why does the deposition only really happen in coronary arteries?

I'm really confused, would someone mind explaining? x
Reply 1
Anyone?
Thanks for this question, as I realised I myself just accepted the process of atherosclerosis, and didn't question why the clogging occurred in arteries rather than veins. Below is my interpretation:

I understood that the fats travelling in the blood at higher pressure had a greater risk of damaging the walls of arteries which starts the cascade.
The repair of the damage leads to narrow arteries, which means more plaques collect etc.

The source given below suggests that it is the bends, which make it more likely that the plaques collect here.

https://www.bhf.org.uk/what-we-do/news-from-the-bhf/news-archive/2017/october/fatty-plaques-build-up-at-bends-and-branches-of-arteries

I would hypothesise one reason is that where the coronaries are direct to the heart, the time for the heart to function means there is the change in pressure, which allows the fats to collect here. (but that is just my hypothesis)

-----------------------------
Edit:

This is where the greatest pressure would be, and so this where damage would be most prevalent, so the place where atherosclerosis is most likely to occur.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
hi, i dont think you need to know this but you could always research it. im doing bio a level and so far i've not learnt anything like that.. sorry..
Reply 4
Okay I’m not entirely sure what you mean but a build up of fat in arteries leads to high blood pressure because the volume of the artery is reduce so blood flows faster, like pinching a hose as it squirts water.
Original post by ASJ_12
Why do fatty deposits build up in the arteries where its high pressure and the blood is flowing faster, and not in the veins when the blood is at lower pressure, because like in a river deposition happens more in slower moving water because it has less energy so why does it work the other way round with blood? Also why does the deposition only really happen in coronary arteries?

I'm really confused, would someone mind explaining? x
Reply 5
Original post by Old_Microbials
Thanks for this question, as I realised I myself just accepted the process of atherosclerosis, and didn't question why the clogging occurred in arteries rather than veins. Below is my interpretation:

I understood that the fats travelling in the blood at higher pressure had a greater risk of damaging the walls of arteries which starts the cascade.
The repair of the damage leads to narrow arteries, which means more plaques collect etc.

The source given below suggests that it is the bends, which make it more likely that the plaques collect here.

https://www.bhf.org.uk/what-we-do/news-from-the-bhf/news-archive/2017/october/fatty-plaques-build-up-at-bends-and-branches-of-arteries

I would hypothesise one reason is that where the coronaries are direct to the heart, the time for the heart to function means there is the change in pressure, which allows the fats to collect here. (but that is just my hypothesis)

-----------------------------
Edit:

This is where the greatest pressure would be, and so this where damage would be most prevalent, so the place where atherosclerosis is most likely to occur.

Thank you that's really helpful - I thought I was just being stupid but knowing someone understands my logic is a comfort x
Reply 6
Original post by mini.me
hi, i dont think you need to know this but you could always research it. im doing bio a level and so far i've not learnt anything like that.. sorry..

Thanks anyway, yeah we have a really awkward exam board for GCSE and they're really specific with details so I just don't want to leave anything I don't understand to chance in case I have to explain it for a question
Reply 7
Original post by bob981
Okay I’m not entirely sure what you mean but a build up of fat in arteries leads to high blood pressure because the volume of the artery is reduce so blood flows faster, like pinching a hose as it squirts water.

Ye I get that but arteries have high pressure blood flowing through anyway because its been pumped by the left ventricle to all around the body with more power, my question is why/how these fatty deposits build up on on the artery wall - and why not veins but thank you
Reply 8
Original post by ASJ_12
Thanks anyway, yeah we have a really awkward exam board for GCSE and they're really specific with details so I just don't want to leave anything I don't understand to chance in case I have to explain it for a question

right that makes sense, i found it helpful looking at the specification because that usually contains EVERYTHING they wanna test you on. At least that helped me..
Reply 9
Original post by mini.me
right that makes sense, i found it helpful looking at the specification because that usually contains EVERYTHING they wanna test you on. At least that helped me..

Thanks I'll make sure to do that
glad to be of help! :biggrin:
Original post by ASJ_12
Thanks I'll make sure to do that

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending