The Student Room Group

Easter revision - Should I pull all-nighters

Hello my friends! Easter revision is coming along, and I havent really been revising as hard as I can, I have a timetable for the whole week, where I will be doing 4 subjects each day, and for the whole week, here is how many hours I'll be putting in:

History - 8 Hours
Computer Science - 6 Hours
English - 8 Hours
RE - 8 Hours
B-Studies - 6 Hours
Science - 14 hours

This is just assuming that I do 2 hours for each subject, I will most likely tod more, especially for Science, which is my weakest subject at the moment, my question is, I'm thinking of pulling 1-2 all nighters, where I can do some straight-up revision, when everyone's asleep and no one is disturbing me, this will involve some coffee and some COLD drinks, I will be revising and testing myself, and making cue cards, and filling up my folder. The question is, is this efficient? Does it work? And Should I do it? Please keep in mind I am behind in all of my subjects, and will need a lot of help with History, Science Re and English.

P.S GCSE EXAMS are in 12 SCHOOL DAYS! (PANIC!!)

Many thanks,
No
Don't do all nighters. They won't be productive. Anyway the time you spend awake you will need to make up with by sleeping at some point so is pointless. You will be slower as well and won't retain as much.
Getting a good nights sleep is more important
NO! Never pull all-nighter. Plus, don't do too much each day! You won't manage to maintain it, you'll get tired and you'll end up falling apart before exams even start! I suggest that each day you do 2 hours of half of yous subjects, but only work for 50/60 minutes of each hour by doing 25 mins then having a 5 minute break. Revision isn't just about time, it's about the quality of what you're doing, and it's much better to do 15 mins of good, solid, tiring revision than 60 mins of sitting and staring at a textbook that you're too tired even to read, let alone do anything with.
Try watching, this, it really explains how to work efficiently :smile:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRM737Iv0wI
Reply 3
What If I pull one all nighter, sleep THROUGH the day, and revise at night? That way, it's quieter? Suggestions?
Original post by AzureCeleste
No
Don't do all nighters. They won't be productive. Anyway the time you spend awake you will need to make up with by sleeping at some point so is pointless. You will be slower as well and won't retain as much.
Getting a good nights sleep is more important
Then what will yopu do when you've reset your body clock and you have to get used to doing exams in the daytime? Id even suggest that you start going to bed earlier. Get up early for the quiet if you want, but NO ALLNIGHTERS!
Reply 5
I understand, personally - I can't do 5 minute breaks and 25 min breaks, I get distracted by the outside world, I prefer to do hours of revision, then taking a 30-45 minute break, is that also still okay?
Original post by redmeercat
NO! Never pull all-nighter. Plus, don't do too much each day! You won't manage to maintain it, you'll get tired and you'll end up falling apart before exams even start! I suggest that each day you do 2 hours of half of yous subjects, but only work for 50/60 minutes of each hour by doing 25 mins then having a 5 minute break. Revision isn't just about time, it's about the quality of what you're doing, and it's much better to do 15 mins of good, solid, tiring revision than 60 mins of sitting and staring at a textbook that you're too tired even to read, let alone do anything with.
Try watching, this, it really explains how to work efficiently :smile:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRM737Iv0wI
I used to think that I worked better like that, but this year I've realised that if I do 2 hours I'll only get half an hour of good revision in before getting too tired to be as focused as I should be (although I don't notice that I'm tired)... having a 5 minute break doesn't mean go on your phone, it means go to the loo, get a glass of water, make your bed, take the dog in the garden. Try to find ways of bringing yourself back to study, such as setting a timer for your break that goes off loudly from your desk so that youll have to go to your desk to turn it off. Of course, if you find that you can hold your concentration for hours, then that's great, but my guess is that you'll end up staring out of the window at some point, or reorganising your pen pot or something along those lines.
Original post by Noi8717
I understand, personally - I can't do 5 minute breaks and 25 min breaks, I get distracted by the outside world, I prefer to do hours of revision, then taking a 30-45 minute break, is that also still okay?
Original post by Noi8717
What If I pull one all nighter, sleep THROUGH the day, and revise at night? That way, it's quieter? Suggestions?

Messing up your sleep schedule then? Seems a bit strange. You'd have to cook dinner, lunch and breakfast yourself then. Plus still more likely to be unproductive as it will be dark outside so your body subconciously will know its night
Reply 8
I'll take your advice, thanks!
Original post by redmeercat
I used to think that I worked better like that, but this year I've realised that if I do 2 hours I'll only get half an hour of good revision in before getting too tired to be as focused as I should be (although I don't notice that I'm tired)... having a 5 minute break doesn't mean go on your phone, it means go to the loo, get a glass of water, make your bed, take the dog in the garden. Try to find ways of bringing yourself back to study, such as setting a timer for your break that goes off loudly from your desk so that youll have to go to your desk to turn it off. Of course, if you find that you can hold your concentration for hours, then that's great, but my guess is that you'll end up staring out of the window at some point, or reorganising your pen pot or something along those lines.
Hey don't listen to these people that are saying it's bad and all that bs. If you wan't to have extraordinary results you would need to sacrifice things and outwork and put in more effort than most people. Goodluck though!
Original post by Noi8717
I'll take your advice, thanks!
I've been hammering 7hrs a day consistently so far this holiday, and on some days i've stayed up until 2am working but no later. Personally I prefer to work, 2-3hrs in one shot without any breaks, then after that i have like a 1hr break and then continue again. I recommend, waking up early and starting your day quite early (usually 9/10am for me) do 2hrs in the morning, then rest and have lunch. After lunch i usually have a short nap and I continue studying at 2pm (doing 2hrs until 4pm). I then rest, shower, eat and I sometimes play some Fifa. Then at like 8ish i start again and do a good 3hrs to finish my day off. 7hrs is quite manageable if you split it up. (2hrs in the morning, 2hrs in the afternoon, 3hrs at night). Honestly i don't listen to all this bs about studying for 20 mins and then taking a break, it's pointless. Good luck mate
Original post by rockyball89
Hey don't listen to these people that are saying it's bad and all that bs. If you wan't to have extraordinary results you would need to sacrifice things and outwork and put in more effort than most people. Goodluck though!
Haha, you're all out here asking whether you should pull all nighters and I'm here not asking to have lie-ins.

This will show up when we both get our results and you'll pass with flying colours and I'll be alone in the corner with tears of regret :yep:
Original post by rockyball89

More effort doesn't mean better results, more effort can just mean over-tiring yourself so that you remember less than you would have otherwise. Sleep is an important part of revision, as it's when your brain processes the informations from the day. In fact, if there's a fact or two that you just can't remember, the best way of learning them is by going over them before bed and testing yourself in the morning.
All nighters are the worst idea.
Original post by Noi8717
Hello my friends! Easter revision is coming along, and I havent really been revising as hard as I can, I have a timetable for the whole week, where I will be doing 4 subjects each day, and for the whole week, here is how many hours I'll be putting in:

History - 8 Hours
Computer Science - 6 Hours
English - 8 Hours
RE - 8 Hours
B-Studies - 6 Hours
Science - 14 hours

This is just assuming that I do 2 hours for each subject, I will most likely tod more, especially for Science, which is my weakest subject at the moment, my question is, I'm thinking of pulling 1-2 all nighters, where I can do some straight-up revision, when everyone's asleep and no one is disturbing me, this will involve some coffee and some COLD drinks, I will be revising and testing myself, and making cue cards, and filling up my folder. The question is, is this efficient? Does it work? And Should I do it? Please keep in mind I am behind in all of my subjects, and will need a lot of help with History, Science Re and English.

P.S GCSE EXAMS are in 12 SCHOOL DAYS! (PANIC!!)

Many thanks,

I pulled all nighters last year and they helped so I'm gonna do it again this year
I find that I work much better during the nights than the day. I don’t sleep as much for some odd reason (been like this since I was a kid) I sleep about 3-4h and that’s sufficient for the day. Find myself sleeping at 2am and waking up at 6 maybe even 5. I usually do my programming work, essays and exams late at night and it hasn’t affected my day activities.
I think it depends on preference and what your sleeping schedule is like.

Quick Reply

Latest