The Student Room Group

why do i not see a future for myself?

I’m 19 years old and I have no idea what I want to do in life. I see no future for myself, I feel like I have no purpose and it sucks to feel this way.
I see people getting their life together w studies and jobs and I have no idea what I want to do in the future I don’t know what I want to be or what I want to do. I’ve applied for uni this year but what for?? It’s not like I’ll enjoy the subject or being around people. It’s like I want to be something but I have no clue of what exactly.

We’ve been bought into this world for a reason right? So why am I still finding it so hard to understand my purpose?
You think you got it bad? I have a 43 year old uncle who still doesn't know what he wants to do in life.19 is a great age to awaken to realise life is too short.

Original post by Anonymous
I’m 19 years old and I have no idea what I want to do in life. I see no future for myself, I feel like I have no purpose and it sucks to feel this way.
I see people getting their life together w studies and jobs and I have no idea what I want to do in the future I don’t know what I want to be or what I want to do. I’ve applied for uni this year but what for?? It’s not like I’ll enjoy the subject or being around people. It’s like I want to be something but I have no clue of what exactly.

We’ve been bought into this world for a reason right? So why am I still finding it so hard to understand my purpose?
Hopefully you're not so entitled that you think a low paid job is beneath you. Use them to get to higher positions.
perhaps take some time out to figure out what interests you.

for me, the experience of life itself teaches me my interests and dislikes. so long as you are doing things you get to find out what you enjoy and don't enjoy.. which should lead you in the right direction. you don't have to have it all figured out.. the journey is where it's at

For some people, it takes time to figure out what they want to do in life. If you aren't 100% sure that you want to go to uni, it might be worth taking a gap year to decide what you are interested in - you could look to do work experience, volunteering or paid work. By trying different things, you can figure out what you do like and make your career choices based on this.
Reply 5
Original post by Jamesman1
You think you got it bad? I have a 43 year old uncle who still doesn't know what he wants to do in life.19 is a great age to awaken to realise life is too short. Man up, stop whineing and do something

"man up"?? "stop whineing"???? really?? many young people go through these situations in life and telling them to "man up" is really not helpful at all. If you dont have any advice to give then dont respond at all.
Reply 6
Original post by Jamesman1
You think you got it bad? I have a 43 year old uncle who still doesn't know what he wants to do in life.19 is a great age to awaken to realise life is too short. Man up, stop whineing and do something

This is exactly the kind of response that makes people feel terrified to talk openly about their mental health. If this is your attitude I suggest you stop reading this section of the forum and leave such threads to people who can actually empathise.

It's normal to feel that way but you shouldn't support your negative thoughts. Maybe start with planning small goals and achieve them, simple things like daily exercise, or organizing your room.I am really sorry you feel that way. I hope you'll be inspired soon!

Quick Reply

Latest