The Student Room Group

What doors can becoming a fully qualified teacher open?

I'm set on completing my PGCE and NQT year, however I would like to understand what options there are that are relevant to the skills and knowledge I will have gained upon the completion of the two (beyond continuing teaching in a classroom).

An obvious would be tutoring, for example. I have considered becoming a self-employed tutor, perhaps alongside part-time teaching as I'm not sure full-time for a considerable number of years into the future will be all too beneficial for my health.

I have noticed that full-time teaching has caused a significant progression in the side effects I experience from certain medical conditions, but for the next year and a half I'm willing to put that aside in order to become a fully qualified teacher.

Any advice and/or ideas? I absolutely love what I'm doing so would never want to fully give it up.
Beyond classroom teaching in different settings, I'm not sure if there's much it does open up- especially that could be done alongside part time teaching.

Tutoring is definitely an option, and as tutoring clients will often want sessions at evenings and weekends, it could work well alongside part time teaching.

You could also teach part time alongside some supply work? This is usually less demanding as you don't have the planning aspect, and you often don't have marking/as much marking to do either.

There are also sometimes opportunities for educational writing e.g. producing revision materials or textbooks.
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Beyond classroom teaching in different settings, I'm not sure if there's much it does open up- especially that could be done alongside part time teaching.

Tutoring is definitely an option, and as tutoring clients will often want sessions at evenings and weekends, it could work well alongside part time teaching.

You could also teach part time alongside some supply work? This is usually less demanding as you don't have the planning aspect, and you often don't have marking/as much marking to do either.

There are also sometimes opportunities for educational writing e.g. producing revision materials or textbooks.

what about working in the department for education?
I think it opens lots of options. Teaching is basically a management job. You manage 30 individuals every hour or so. You are also a leader, presenter, facilitator, mentor and trainer. I personally feel very qualified for other opportunities.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending