The Student Room Group

Nursing or ODP course???

I’m currently 1st year student nurse, finishing my first year in September, so finishing in 2/3 months.
I really liked the idea of doing theatre nursing and that’s what I want to do when I qualify. I did adult nursing though as it opens a lot of doors.
But I’m finding it hard on this course as most of the placements are ward/community based and I really don’t like wards. They aren’t for me. The idea of a&e doesn’t feel like me at all. And having to go through that for 2 years terrifies me, so I’m thinking about switching from nursing to the ODP course.

Does theatre nursing and ODP roles differ much at all?
Reply 1
Original post by Aishaaan
I’m currently 1st year student nurse, finishing my first year in September, so finishing in 2/3 months.
I really liked the idea of doing theatre nursing and that’s what I want to do when I qualify. I did adult nursing though as it opens a lot of doors.
But I’m finding it hard on this course as most of the placements are ward/community based and I really don’t like wards. They aren’t for me. The idea of a&e doesn’t feel like me at all. And having to go through that for 2 years terrifies me, so I’m thinking about switching from nursing to the ODP course.

An ODP trains in scrub, recovery and anaesthetic practice. They can get employment in any of those areas at band 5 on qualifying.
A nurse can go straight into a band 5 job as a scrub or recovery practitioner (and get the extra, in house training for those roles) and may need to do an extra top-up course to become an anaesthetic practitioner.
A scrub nurse and a scrub ODP do the same job.
A recovery nurse and a recovery ODP do the same job.
An anaesthetic nurse and an anaesthetic ODP do the same job.
Reply 2
Original post by professor helper

Theatre nursing focuses specifically on providing nursing care within the operating theatre. Theatre nurses assist with surgeries, prepare the operating room, and support the surgical team before, during, and after procedures. They work closely with surgeons, anesthetists, and other healthcare professionals in the operating theatre environment. Theatre nurses are responsible for patient safety, ensuring that the surgical equipment and instruments are properly sterilized, and maintaining a sterile field during procedures.

ODPs also do this in scrub practitioner roles.

Original post by professor helper
On the other hand, the ODP role is broader and encompasses a wider range of responsibilities within the operating department. ODPs are involved in three main areas: anesthetic, surgery, and recovery. They assist the anesthetist with administering anesthesia to patients, prepare the surgical environment and equipment, and provide support during surgery. In the recovery phase, ODPs monitor patients' vital signs and ensure their safe recovery from anesthesia. ODPs work closely with the surgical team and other healthcare professionals, similar to theatre nurses.

Recovery registered nurses do the exact same as an ODP does. Nurses can also do extra training to become anaesthetic practitioners.

Both theatre nurses and ODPs look at holistic care for the patient, just ODPs are trained specifically to work with the technicalities of the operating department.
Reply 3
Thank you!! I couldn’t find any difference in their job roles so I’m glad someone else was able to make it clearer!
Reply 4
Original post by Aishaaan

Id say the ODP course is easier

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending