The Student Room Group

Becoming a tutor post A levels

I have completed the last of my A levels today.

I believe that with my two years of experience in my A levels, I would be a good tutor for fresh sixth-formers.

I am confident in helping classmates with homework and other assignments; I performed exceptionally well in both A-level Maths and Computer Science throughout the two years.

Is it easy to become an A-level tutor based on my context above?
And how would you approach looking for job roles in this sector?
It's pretty easy to become a tutor. There are loads of websites where you can do online tutoring.
Reply 2
Original post by Kingemperor07
I have completed the last of my A levels today.

I believe that with my two years of experience in my A levels, I would be a good tutor for fresh sixth-formers.

I am confident in helping classmates with homework and other assignments; I performed exceptionally well in both A-level Maths and Computer Science throughout the two years.

Is it easy to become an A-level tutor based on my context above?
And how would you approach looking for job roles in this sector?

I doubt a parent would employ you to tutor A level - you need a qualification above the one you plan to tutor.

GCSE might be a possibility but are you talking online or in person?
Reply 3
Original post by Muttley79
I doubt a parent would employ you to tutor A level - you need a qualification above the one you plan to tutor.

I would be open to both.
Reply 4
I would be open to both.

You are NOT qualified to tutor A level - no parent would pay
Reply 5
You are NOT qualified to tutor A level - no parent would pay

Well I know the spec from the back of my hand and achieved near perfect scores throughout my studies. I even explain some concepts better than my "qualified" teachers. So I believe I have the capabilities to be a good tutor
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 6
Well I know the spec from the back of my hand and achieved near perfect scores throughout my studies. I even explain some concepts better than my "qualified" teachers. So I believe I have the capabilities to be a good tutor

In your opinion - as I say - parents want to see people have degrees to tutor A level. You haven't studied pedagogy ...

I tutored A-Level when I was a first year uni student. If you go to a Russel group uni you can apply to teach on mytutor for example. If you're good at explaining A-Level concepts you don't necessarily need a degree to do tutoring cuz parents only expect you to help their children understand the content better and improve exam technique, not replace their teachers.
Reply 8
Original post by kaorimiyazono
I tutored A-Level when I was a first year uni student. If you go to a Russel group uni you can apply to teach on mytutor for example. If you're good at explaining A-Level concepts you don't necessarily need a degree to do tutoring cuz parents only expect you to help their children understand the content better and improve exam technique, not replace their teachers.

Some parents are pretty stupid then - round here they want a degree. What has Russell Group got to do with your ability to tutor? Some of my 4 x A* students choose non-RG as they are better for their degree.
Some parents are pretty stupid then - round here they want a degree. What has Russell Group got to do with your ability to tutor? Some of my 4 x A* students choose non-RG as they are better for their degree.

Idk I didn't choose the terms for working with mytutor?? I know that being in an RG uni has nothing to do with ability to tutor I was just giving an example of a website on which to do online tutoring and letting OP know about their terms.

I think it's perfectly possible to tutor A-Level without having a degree if you are able to explain concepts well. I've helped students get higher grades in their exams and I still haven't finished uni yet. Obviously you can't charge as much as people who do have degrees can as that wouldn't be fair, but it is possible to make an impact. You do need to know the content well yourself, have high grades and good exam technique, and keep up to date with exam boards.
Reply 10
Idk I didn't choose the terms for working with mytutor?? I know that being in an RG uni has nothing to do with ability to tutor I was just giving an example of a website on which to do online tutoring and letting OP know about their terms.

I think it's perfectly possible to tutor A-Level without having a degree if you are able to explain concepts well. I've helped students get higher grades in their exams and I still haven't finished uni yet. Obviously you can't charge as much as people who do have degrees can as that wouldn't be fair, but it is possible to make an impact. You do need to know the content well yourself, have high grades and good exam technique, and keep up to date with exam boards.

You can't possibly measure 'your' impact if they are also being taught at school! How do you know your explanations are effective pedagogy? Parents need to be more aware of tutor qualifications - you wouldn't get a tutoring role in most agencies. How much are the platform paying you compared to what they are charging? They sound very dodgy if they only take RG ... I'l do some digging.

Yeah, I agree a lot of people are too obsessed with RG
You can't possibly measure 'your' impact if they are also being taught at school! How do you know your explanations are effective pedagogy? Parents need to be more aware of tutor qualifications - you wouldn't get a tutoring role in most agencies. How much are the platform paying you compared to what they are charging? They sound very dodgy if they only take RG ... I'l do some digging.

I don't tutor on there anymore tbf but when I did they paid me ~65% of what they charged. At the time I just needed some money and I enjoyed helping other students. I myself received some helpful tutoring on there when I did GCSEs so I was already familiar with the interface and how the website worked.

I know my explanations were effective because students would come to me with topics they didn't understand and come out of it understanding it much better (I tested this out using quick questions at the beginning to see where they were at and exam style questions at the end to see if they fully grasped the content after I helped teach it to them- sometimes using these topics as starter questions the next lesson to continuously track their understanding) and they themselves told me that my explanations were helpful. Sometimes it's just helpful having a 1-to-1 with someone who understands the topic so they can teach it to you using as many different methods as you need before fully grasping the concept.

I don't understand why you are so annoyed at me for helping other students. They were free to stop lessons if they didn't find my teaching style effective. But I could see them become more confident with their understanding of the subjects as lessons progressed so I knew I was being at least a bit helpful. I employed teaching methods that my own teachers used in school, methods that my old tutor used that I found helpful, and altered lesson structures depending on what the students wanted more of and what I saw worked for them and kept them the most engaged.

But I fully agree with you that there is too much emphasis put on RG vs non-RG- I just mentioned it as that was a requirement of the website at the time. Tbh, they might've done that precisely because they know parents put so much emphasis on RG vs non-RG so they could market it that way. There was an interview and a section where you taught the interviewer something like you would in a lesson so they could assess your ability to explain concepts.
Reply 13
I don't tutor on there anymore tbf but when I did they paid me ~65% of what they charged. At the time I just needed some money and I enjoyed helping other students. I myself received some helpful tutoring on there when I did GCSEs so I was already familiar with the interface and how the website worked.

What a rip-off; you were being robbed. I'm only annoyed for parents being misled over 'qualified tutors' when they clearly aren't and the platform ripping you off.

You do know schools offer help-sessions for free to all students ...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending