The Student Room Group

English Lit question

Do quotes need to be word-for-word correct to get marks in an English lit exam? Or is there room for error? I dont get how we're supposed to know quotes for 15 poems 2 plays and a novel word for word to answer any given question. There's gotta be some room for error right?
Reply 1
I think there is room for error in ways such as getting the quote slightly wrong but completely changing it would possibly lose you marks, there is a lot to learn quotes wise but when you know them it tends to become easier. I recommend making quizlet sets because you can use them as flashcards but also use other settings such as learn to help you engage more etc.
Original post by joe_c.x
Do quotes need to be word-for-word correct to get marks in an English lit exam? Or is there room for error? I dont get how we're supposed to know quotes for 15 poems 2 plays and a novel word for word to answer any given question. There's gotta be some room for error right?
Our English teacher always taught us if you can't remember a quote word for word to paraphrase it
Original post by joe_c.x
Nah, you don't need to memorise quotes exactly word for word. You can make a few errors and marks won't be deducted, just make sure the quotes you've memorised are sort of similar and bring the same message.
Original post by joe_c.x
Reply 4
The examiners know you won’t be able to know all the quotes word for word so they won’t take marks off for small errors. In fact it might be easier to remember key words rather than a whole quote so for example
Instead of writing ‘Lady macbeth tells macbeth to ‘appear like th’innocent flower but be the serpent under’t’
You could just as easily write ‘Lady Macbeth tells Macbeth to appear like an ‘innocent flower’ but to really be and act like a ‘serpent’ ...’
aight thanks guys i feel alot better now was getting proper stressed especially with these physics equations to remember as well it's all adding up lol :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest