The Student Room Group

Anxiety, please anyone help

Hi guys,

I've been suffering from anxiety. Devastating anxiety. I slept with someone, who was my boyfriend, only to find out he had cheated on me, and had a sexual experience with a man.
Ever since then, I've been thinking about the worst case scenario- HIV. I've managed to convince myself so much that I have it, that I spend most of my nights crying, googling symptoms, thinking of ways I could maybe end my life, so no one ever finds out about it. I've been experiencing muscle spasms, all over my body constantly, which I read online can be linked to anxiety disorder (which I suffer from) or a viral infections (which hiv is) or ALS or MS. This has happened to me before, and I got tested and it came back negative. But this time I'm sure I have it, and I know if I get tested and it's confirmed, I don't know what ill do, I won't cope, I'm scared what I do. I feel as though if I find out, it's a death sentence. I can't live like this anymore, I can't suffer like this. I'm so young (1st year of uni ) and I feel like my life is already over. I keep checking and calculating how many people live in the UK with hiv, calculating my chances I'm infected, calculating how many people are unaware they are hiv positive. I can't live like this. Has anyone else experienced this? Could I really be infected? Am I going crazy ? Are constant muscle spasms normal ? I can't cope I seriously can't I feel as though I'm about to have a mental breakdown, please someone help me.
I have never been in the same position but i sympathise with you because i have anxiety which has made me faint, shake cold sweats. People tell me not to worry take deep breaths. Just get tested and then you will know whether your just worrying for nothing.
Reply 2
It's called having Hysteria. It's a psychological anxiety disorder - something along the lines of, if you start looking at the side effects and you believe you have it, your body will think it does and will start following those. Say you think you have a cold and convince yourself because that guy on the plane did? You start feeling feint, wanting to sneeze, get colder than usual etc.

Get yourself checked at the doctors, chances are you're fine.

HIV isn't even that common, so you should be fine. Better to check it out now than wait it out.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Debbie56888
Hi guys,

I've been suffering from anxiety. Devastating anxiety. I slept with someone, who was my boyfriend, only to find out he had cheated on me, and had a sexual experience with a man.
Ever since then, I've been thinking about the worst case scenario- HIV. I've managed to convince myself so much that I have it, that I spend most of my nights crying, googling symptoms, thinking of ways I could maybe end my life, so no one ever finds out about it. I've been experiencing muscle spasms, all over my body constantly, which I read online can be linked to anxiety disorder (which I suffer from) or a viral infections (which hiv is) or ALS or MS. This has happened to me before, and I got tested and it came back negative. But this time I'm sure I have it, and I know if I get tested and it's confirmed, I don't know what ill do, I won't cope, I'm scared what I do. I feel as though if I find out, it's a death sentence. I can't live like this anymore, I can't suffer like this. I'm so young (1st year of uni ) and I feel like my life is already over. I keep checking and calculating how many people live in the UK with hiv, calculating my chances I'm infected, calculating how many people are unaware they are hiv positive. I can't live like this. Has anyone else experienced this? Could I really be infected? Am I going crazy ? Are constant muscle spasms normal ? I can't cope I seriously can't I feel as though I'm about to have a mental breakdown, please someone help me.

Breathe... like, deep breathes until you get dizzy and then you can breathe normally.

Don’t read the next sentence until you do.

You are stressing yourself out to a very unhealthy point and need to calm down. If the thought of having it is that stressful, then go get check as soon as it’s convenient.
And yes, those shaky muscle spasms are due to anxiety, my friends has those too, and they don’t just disappear and get replaced by something else you think you have. Even if you did receive an HIV or something, those spasms are from stress and anxiety. If you want those to stop, take the time to literally think about anything else. Easiest way to calm yourself down would be to get tested and then move on.

Quick Reply

Latest