The Student Room Group

What's Physics A-Level like?

I'm in YR 11 atm and I'm interested in a Physics A-level. Can those of you taking it tell me what it's like? And how's it different from GCSE?
Hey, I’m in y12 and I do a level physics. It’s not too different from GCSE but there is more maths and some of the concepts can hard to get your head around at first. But overall if you enjoy physics and are willing to work hard it can be kinda enjoyable and not too stressful.
AS physics is mostly new content, like materials and quantum mechanics. A2 is very similar to GCSE physics, however the content is more in depth and the maths is much harder than at GCSE. Some of the things that you'll encounter in A2 that you've done at GCSE are things like stars, the big bang, magnetic fields and radiation.
Original post by khawlaaa
I'm in YR 11 atm and I'm interested in a Physics A-level. Can those of you taking it tell me what it's like? And how's it different from GCSE?

I do AQA Physics A Level and I am in my final year. The course itself is coutned as being one of the hardest A Levels, but I myself find it extremely rewarding and interesting. A Level is more indepth to GCSE, and as luokun said some topics can be hard to get your head around, but that just makes it all the more rewarding when you get full marks on a long calculation.
One thing about Physics (For my board at least), it crosses heavily with Maths A Level. So much in fact my college forced everyone who was doing physics to also do maths.

If you're willing to do the work and find Physics interesting, this A Level is a good choice :h:
Reply 4
Original post by BOluokun
Hey, I’m in y12 and I do a level physics. It’s not too different from GCSE but there is more maths and some of the concepts can hard to get your head around at first. But overall if you enjoy physics and are willing to work hard it can be kinda enjoyable and not too stressful.

Original post by TheOtherTed
AS physics is mostly new content, like materials and quantum mechanics. A2 is very similar to GCSE physics, however the content is more in depth and the maths is much harder than at GCSE. Some of the things that you'll encounter in A2 that you've done at GCSE are things like stars, the big bang, magnetic fields and radiation.

Original post by ChemicalGoat
I do AQA Physics A Level and I am in my final year. The course itself is coutned as being one of the hardest A Levels, but I myself find it extremely rewarding and interesting. A Level is more indepth to GCSE, and as luokun said some topics can be hard to get your head around, but that just makes it all the more rewarding when you get full marks on a long calculation.
One thing about Physics (For my board at least), it crosses heavily with Maths A Level. So much in fact my college forced everyone who was doing physics to also do maths.

If you're willing to do the work and find Physics interesting, this A Level is a good choice :h:

okay! overall these are some positive answers, thank you :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest