The Student Room Group

advice on switching a levels at the beginning of year 12

FOR GCSE + background check:
maths[8] --> I find fun love it spend lots of time on it in free time watching numberphile allat
computer science [8] --> loved cs still do invested lotta time in programming, playing with swift and xcode iOS development, invested time in CS50 course too
physics [8] --> physics also fun i like it relies more on common sense and logical thinking which ties nicely into cs

WHAT I'M DOING FOR A LEVEL:
mafs, phsics, cs [naturally]

BUT I want to do FM A level too since my love for maths has expanded exponentially AS WELL AS the fact that fm is preferred and recommended if I want to do cs university course [I want to pursue software engineering].

dilemma lies with the fact that I do NOT want to do four a levels because I'm scared of the workload for physics since i might not be able to spend time comitting to physics because I direct the attention to mafs and cs [bad reason]

overthinking and idk what to do

I only have three viable options:
1 ) keep current a levels
2 ) switch maths FURTHER MATHS computer science (I like this idea but I also like the physics department as well as physics)
3 ) switch to maths physics FURTHER MATHS {forgetting about cs is possible since it is not a requirement for most universities to do computer science a level}
4) I am overthinking and it is currently midnight so I need some soothing words from my superiors to guide me
Reply 1
I didn’t apply for cs but a lot of my classmates did and the ones who didn’t take fm regretted it a lot and didn’t manage to get into unis like imperial and oxbridge so I would definitely take it because they just struggled too much with the admissions tests that fm would help a lot with . And regarding the question about weather to switch fm for physics or cs it’s completely up to you , I would pick the one you like the most because trust me year 2 physics is killer and will require a lot of time and from what I’ve heard is a lot harder than cs a level but thats what I’ve been told so it may not be true for you.
Reply 2
yeah I have a heavy inclination to do maths further maths computer science now, my only concern that degree choices would be closed off to just computer science nothing else

ok maths further maths computer science wish me luck I like maths and maths is fun and coool and ill be able to devote even more time to maths which i love so if god wills ill be alright
Original post by noorulhasan
yeah I have a heavy inclination to do maths further maths computer science now, my only concern that degree choices would be closed off to just computer science nothing else

ok maths further maths computer science wish me luck I like maths and maths is fun and coool and ill be able to devote even more time to maths which i love so if god wills ill be alright

Yeah, id probably go for the maths, further maths and computer science.
Could you not start with 4 and see how you go? See how it works out, then drop physics if it gets too much.

Quick Reply

Latest