The Student Room Group

Effect of excessive gaming on mental health (gamers only)

Hello people of Earth! I'm a student of experimental psychology and I'm conducting an experiment related to gaming and it's effect on mental health for my project. Please take some time out of your lives to fill this survey I'll be really grateful :smile:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeZH7XS9D-YucKtRxr6IGtkLnsQz5BxX0dwKdoVHeuLHwXGVA/viewform?fbzx=-3936662423236223242
"Sometimes there is no good reason to strike someone." -- wtf? :biggrin:
This feels less about mental health and more to do with aggressiveness and gaming.
It can get bad, especially coupled with european winter depression.

I literally was doing 12 hours a day....

Sleeping 8am to 4pm. For 2 years.

But im not filling out this survey. Because thats a dark period in my life.
Though i was ranked 3,000 in the world globally in CoD.

And rocked a 1.82 K/D
Hi,

I don't game much myself so I won't fill in your survey, however I do see the effects that it can have on my partner and his son, who both game. Neither are ever violent towards me or anyone else, however they do get in bad moods if things haven't gone well in their game, and my partner's son shows physical signs of frustration such as smacking his hands on the table, throwing things across the room, and screaming. Also, my partner's son doesn't do anything else apart from gaming. He goes to school, and it forced to revise, but every spare second he wants to game, there's nothing else he's interested in. I don't think that's good for him at all..
I have spent about 14 years by gaming.
About 8000 hours in Counter-Strike 1.5/1.6,
6000 hours in Half-Life 2 Deathmatch
3000 hours in Quake Champions

Never hit anyone in my life.
Linking games and violence is like linking TV with violence, rock music with violence, or radio with violence. Every generation has its own thing ... :biggrin:
Original post by Decahedron
This feels less about mental health and more to do with aggressiveness and gaming.
Original post by CommanderKeen
Linking games and violence is like linking TV with violence, rock music with violence, or radio with violence. Every generation has its own thing ... :biggrin:

I thought we had dispelled the video games/violence myth back in the early 2000s.
Well, clearly not :biggrin:
Original post by Decahedron
I thought we had dispelled the video games/violence myth back in the early 2000s.
Original post by batmanwidow
Hello people of Earth! I'm a student of experimental psychology and I'm conducting an experiment related to gaming and it's effect on mental health for my project. Please take some time out of your lives to fill this survey I'll be really grateful :smile:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeZH7XS9D-YucKtRxr6IGtkLnsQz5BxX0dwKdoVHeuLHwXGVA/viewform?fbzx=-3936662423236223242

I've completed it. I've got a questionnaire here if you've got time to respond to it: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeCBywMdXrUhWCGTM8n7sxj9gDlQgPhimk6lk2LVL-LgpEDyg/viewform?usp=sf_link.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending