The Student Room Group

Chinese people, welcome! [中國人, 歡迎你!] [中国人, 欢迎你!]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I don't have the software to type chinese, but I'm BBC, parents are from HK.
(No intention of hijacking) But what's everyone doing now (academically)

I'll start off then:
-In the middle of A-levels atm
-Going to Uni to do Law if I get the grades.
Reply 21
hello :smile:
Reply 22
dimdim_lee

I'll start off then:

If you're using XP you can just go to control panel > regional options > languages (not sure about this I'm using a Mac), then you can add Chinese as a language.

雖然我說廣東話,但是我需要用漢語拼音打字上電腦,所以現在我學一些國語。:p:
其他 input method 我都不知道怎樣用啊!~ I could probably use the writing order inputs but my keyboard is English letters so I would keep typing it wrong all the time :rolleyes:

我都在學A-level會考,讀十二年AS班,讀數學,進修數學,西班牙文,經濟學。

What Chinese music do you guys listen to? :smile:
Reply 23
Hanoi
If you're using XP you can just go to control panel > regional options > languages (not sure about this I'm using a Mac), then you can add Chinese as a language.

雖然我說廣東話,但是我需要用漢語拼音打字上電腦,所以現在我學一些國語。:p:
其他 input method 我都不知道怎樣用啊!~ I could probably use the writing order inputs but my keyboard is English letters so I would keep typing it wrong all the time :rolleyes:

我都在學A-level會考,讀十二年AS班,讀數學,進修數學,西班牙文,經濟學。

What Chinese music do you guys listen to? :smile:

You sure I can input chinese using that?
the mods can shut down threads if you don't translate.

maths, further maths and econ are very asian subejcts, but spanish is fresh, are you from HK then, I'm a cantonese speaker too.
Reply 24
dimdim_lee

I'll start off then:

I'm doing the IB programme right now...currently in IB1...but doing IB2 next year...it's going to be very tough...and I need to think of a topic for my Extended Essay.
Reply 25
dimdim_lee

maths, further maths and econ are very asian subejcts, but spanish is fresh, are you from HK then, I'm a cantonese speaker too.

Haha...I'm a Cantonese speaker too...and I see that Hanoi is one too! What a coincidence! :p:
Reply 26
Duckie :D
I'm a british born british person... how boring. I don't speak chinese (apart from the odd word), I wish I did and I sooo want to go to china :biggrin:

The UK's ok, quite a lot of castles and so on, but in China you have the great wall and Shanghai. You won't find anything like that in the UK.

Teach me some chinese :biggrin:

Chinese is a hard language to learn...no doubt. It was hard...especially for me. I guess you need that initiative to take action and maybe take some lessons. I think that would be the best thing to do. It's hard to teach here...especially in this setting.
Reply 27
Hehe ok... well as I already learn 3 languages I might leave it for a bit... although I definately will get round to it one day :biggrin:

Ooh...which 3 languages?
Reply 28
dimdim_lee

yeah you can input using the pinyin input, maybe you can find Cantonese input to download if you prefer that or you can learn the writing order input, but they should just make a keyboard with all the separate characters ahhahaha :biggrin:

you can always change it back too so you don't have to type everything in Chinese :p:

yeah in my school, all the Chinese people in my year(except 1 guy, I think) do further maths :p:
we have 4 students from mainland China and they're all ace math gods :rolleyes:

my parents are from HK 香港, so I speak Cantonese 粵語 and I'm trying to learn Mandarin 國語 too
Reply 29
I've always wondered how you can type on a computer in Chinese... Would someone care to enlighten me? :biggrin:

Well I've just explained it to dimdim!...basically there are two ways..

You can do it by phonetically, so writing the sound out using alphabet letters, for Mandarin there is Hanyu Pinyin so it's all standardised, so to type 上海 you type 'shang hai' which is how it is read out.

Or the other way is writing order method, for Cangjie method, you just type it how you would write it (so the keys on the keyboard are the parts of the character), so 人戈日口 would spell 倉 (it's complicated to explain if you don't know the composition of Chinese words!).
Reply 30
French, German and Spanish :biggrin:
Not particularly amazing or difficult compared to Chinese, but nevertheless interesting. The only three offered by my school :frown:

Ooh...I wish I could learn those...but I've only learnt French so far...since it's Canada...

I would love to learn Spanish, which is much easier than French...and German as well. However, none are offered by my school, so that sucks.
Reply 31
Hanoi
Well I've just explained it to dimdim!...basically there are two ways..

You can do it by phonetically, so writing the sound out using alphabet letters, for Mandarin there is Hanyu Pinyin so it's all standardised, so to type 上海 you type 'shang hai' which is how it is read out.

Or the other way is writing order method, for Cangjie method, you just type it how you would write it (so the keys on the keyboard are the parts of the character), so 人戈日口 would spell 倉 (it's complicated to explain if you don't know the composition of Chinese words!).

Ooh...that's why Pinyin is much easier...it's pretty hard for me to type Chinese, since it's an English keyboard. However, I do have ways of typing Chinese, but it takes time. :p:

Hey...I want to learn 國語 too...but it's pretty hard to speak it. Nevertheless, I'm more comfortable with 粵語.
Reply 32
It sounds quite complicated :wink:

Yeh, spanish is a lot easier than french, but german can be pretty hard :biggrin: Although obviously not as hard as chinese :wink: I admire you a lot for being fluent in 2/3 languages... I'm nowhere near fluent in the three I learn!

Haha...are you really sure about that? I'm all right in French...but I can't speak and write fluently. However, I do have the capacity to understand and converse, so that isn't bad. I'm fine in Chinese, but of course, expanding your vocabulary is always a good thing.
Reply 33
Well, to an english native, I think chinese is one of the hardest languages to learn, partly because of the symbols and grammar but also because of the tones :smile: Not that I know a great deal about chinese of course :wink:

Actually, it is one of the hardest languages to learn for an English native, along with Korean and Arabic, I think. However, I guess it's because the language is so different from English.
Reply 34
哈哈哈可以啦!
yes, I can type now! =D
Reply 35
dimdim_lee
哈哈哈可以啦!
yes, I can type now! =D

哈哈,恭喜恭喜。:p:
If you wanna type in English I think you can just press caps lock then it won't look so weird, that's how it works on mine anyway。
Reply 36
dimdim_lee
哈哈哈可以啦!
yes, I can type now! =D

Dang...I wish I could type...我不高興啊...I'm not happy. :frown:
Reply 37
yeah, I've been working that out, you have configure it however you want anyway.
Reply 38
Whoever it was that negative repped me, thanks :biggrin:
I hope nobody "disapproves of my comments" on this thread because I think that Chinese would be hard to learn for an english native speaker. I actually have a lot of respect for any chinese speaker and was just commenting on my general impression and hoping to gain more information. If anyone else was offended, feel free to tell me. If the person that did neg me would like to explain further, that would be most appreciated.

just ignore him :wink:
Reply 39
Hanoi
my parents are from HK 香港, so I speak Cantonese 粵語 and I'm trying to learn Mandarin 國語 too

How exactly are you learning Mandarin? Are you teaching yourself via the Internet and things, or are you taking a proper course?

(My parents decided to speak to me only in English once I'd reached the age of 3, so now both my Shanghainese and mandarin are really terrible...) :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest