The Student Room Group

Chinese people, welcome! [中國人, 歡迎你!] [中国人, 欢迎你!]

Scroll to see replies

google Danica Mckellar as well, she will make you love maths
Oh, I thought she played a mathematician in a show but no! She is an actual mathematician!
Reply 102
Math isn't that appealing to me. It's boring and it's pretty difficult in my opinion. However, what drives me crazy is not how long it takes to do an equation, but the fact that everything has to be precise and accurate. Disgusting. :biggrin:

Math isn't that appealing to me. It's boring and it's pretty difficult in my opinion. However, what drives me crazy is not how long it takes to do an equation, but the fact that everything has to be precise and accurate. Disgusting.

that is exactly what appeals to me about maths. Its the perfect science. No experimental errors, if it works on paper, then it works in real life.
Reply 104
Original post by &#20026
that is exactly what appeals to me about maths. Its the perfect science. No experimental errors, if it works on paper, then it works in real life.

Well...it depends on which section of math that you're talking about. If you're talking about vectors and calculus, count me out. The rest is all right for me. :biggrin:
Well...it depends on which section of math that you're talking about. If you're talking about vectors and calculus, count me out. The rest is all right for me.

Just had a C4 maths exam. Screwed up so badly, kind of wish i went to the lessons.

I don't like vectors but i like calculus
Nyghtshade

I'm sure it would come out okay. :] Had the exact feeling yesterday though, albeit comming out of physics... >.<

Haha, saaame, what physics board do you do? I'm on AQA A, but I know OCR had their exams y-day too.
Nyghtshade
AQA. :] This is GCSE, right? ^^

I ended up writing wrong things even though I knew the answers. And then there were the shedloads of stuff that I didn't know. v_v; Gah, 'twas awful.

(Not going to any of the separate sciences classes and playing snap in the normal classes, then resorting to cramming to 3am the night before wasn't such a great idea in hindsight...)

Haha, noooo, I'm doing A2 physics, it was a nightmare, but it's not part of my uni offer, so it's all okay XD
Doing law at KCL if I get my AAA if not, then I'm screwed, insurance is York with 3 As too, but that's only cos they raised their offer after I applied...

What you planning you study for A-levels? Thought as far as uni yet?
haha, yeah, totally understand, we're chinese after all!
My parents flipped out abt me doing art for a-level, but now it's part of my offer, they're not too bitter about it!
Reply 114
dimdim_lee
haha, yeah, totally understand, we're chinese after all!
My parents flipped out abt me doing art for a-level, but now it's part of my offer, they're not too bitter about it!

I see in your profile that you have AAA offers from York and King's, do they count Chinese too? because I do Chinese AS and I'm gonna do the A2 too...:smile:

I was just wondering if unis allow it because they probably think that it's very easy for Chinese people to do it (I guess most people who do it are BBCs), but in fact it's very difficult...and so what if we grew up speaking it blah blah, should unis not count maths for maths child prodigies, if they won't count someone's 'background language'...:rolleyes: :redface:
I see in your profile that you have AAA offers from York and King's, do they count Chinese too? because I do Chinese AS and I'm gonna do the A2 too...

I was just wondering if unis allow it because they probably think that it's very easy for Chinese people to do it (I guess most people who do it are BBCs), but in fact it's very difficult...and so what if we grew up speaking it blah blah, should unis not count maths for maths child prodigies, if they won't count someone's 'background language'...

The really good unis probably won't, since you probably put in less work for it to obtain an A than most other people doing it from scratch. I think unis not only look at your current ability but also look at your future potential and whether you are a hard worker or not.
Hanoi
I see in your profile that you have AAA offers from York and King's, do they count Chinese too? because I do Chinese AS and I'm gonna do the A2 too...:smile:

I was just wondering if unis allow it because they probably think that it's very easy for Chinese people to do it (I guess most people who do it are BBCs), but in fact it's very difficult...and so what if we grew up speaking it blah blah, should unis not count maths for maths child prodigies, if they won't count someone's 'background language'...:rolleyes: :redface:

Yeah, it true, the more respected unis don't consider Chinese, although, I feel it's unfair, especially because I'm a BBC and a cantonese speaker, and we don't write as we speak in cantonese. Anyhow, there's no harm in doing it, as long as it doesn't compromise your other results.
Reply 117
dimdim_lee
Yeah, it true, the more respected unis don't consider Chinese, although, I feel it's unfair, especially because I'm a BBC and a cantonese speaker, and we don't write as we speak in cantonese. Anyhow, there's no harm in doing it, as long as it doesn't compromise your other results.

Well...nevertheless...as long as you write formally in Chinese, I think it's all and they'll give the credit right? Also, I think it should be counted as a credit for you. :biggrin: Why don't they accept the Chinese credit though?
Reply 118
dimdim_lee

Yeah as I thought, anyway, I know one guy from Hong Kong, and he's a Cantonese speaker but he speaks like he's reading, like he always says &#28858;&#20160;&#40636; (in Canto) instead of &#40670;&#35299;, jokes:biggrin:
Hanoi
Yeah as I thought, anyway, I know one guy from Hong Kong, and he's a Cantonese speaker but he speaks like he's reading, like he always says &#28858;&#20160;&#40636; (in Canto) instead of &#40670;&#35299;, jokes:biggrin:

haha, I'm so slang, written is effectively a different language to me. Yeah, my cousin does what your friend does too...¬¬"

Quick Reply

Latest