The Student Room Group

Failing uni due to mental health disorders - failing 3rd year twice possibly

I have mental health disorders bipolar with traits of schizotypal disorder. I managed to get through first and second year but 3rd year the dissertation is what throws me over the edge and I experience all sorts of debilitating symptoms that prevent me from being able to complete the work or concentrate. I managed to get mitigating circumstances in my 3rd year in 2018 which meant all failures would allow me a repeat. Well I gave up and thought ok I'll take a few months off from March to October to restart the year.

I restarted in for 2018/2019 all was going well getting good grades until I did my dissertation poster which was 20% towards my overall grade of dissertation and I got a D. This flung me into a psychosis for the best part of March and I had to apply for mitigating circumstances again. My medication got increased, I had experience further complications of brain fog and concentration issues and my symptoms have only now recently calmed down. Now I am feeling like I can't continue, although I really want to I don't feel like I can. I have been studying but as I tried to answer my own mock exam I found I couldn't recall anything I was learning. So I believe I was in denial that I could just resume, after I started feeling a bit better but knowing full well my brain is quite delicate and unable to process much right now. Some days I feel fine and can absolutely crack on but then other days are not and I just never know if one day I will wake up and that whole week is ruined based on my mental health.

I had gotten myself into credit card debt and my money is running out, I am worried and stressed about everything I just feel like my life is a mess. I keep trying but I feel its in vain. I have to work as I got myself in a mess with credit cards so I have no choice. Which puts further strain on the whole situation :frown:

I know my health is more important and so I am being forced to come to the acceptance that I may not be able to pass. My worry is how is this going to look on me when I apply to jobs? I have spent 4 years at university, racked up a massive student debt which makes me feel sick to my stomach and all but a diploma of higher education to show for it. I will only apply to administrative jobs and ones I feel I can cope with but I worry about how this is going to come across and how I might put this on my CV.

Quick Reply

Latest