The Student Room Group

Mental health services won’t help.

I scraped through undergrad (third year I just about got through). Then I did an MSc which was fun (mainly because I didn’t put pressure on myself) and now am on the verge of doing a PhD. But I’m constantly depressed and anxious. The depression makes me not enjoy anything and literally feel like I may as well be not be here. Its like I’m permanently engulfed by a dark cloud. The anxiety is just as bad, I feel like I’m crippled with social fear all the time. I don’t have any friends in my area (I questioned my sexuality and everyone left me). This has been going on for almost 10 years. I would kill myself but I can’t think of a clean quick way to do it.

The only time I feel hopeful is when I drink, so as you can imagine I drink whenever I can. But the drinking isn’t the root of the problem. I feel the only way I can help myself is to move somewhere and find a good group of friends. I’m much more secure in my sexuality than I was even 5 years ago. But that isn’t even the point. People make comments about me on the street because I look like I’m basically constantly anxious/having a panic attack. I literally can’t believe how this has happened to me. I think I’m still in shock. Either that or the whole of society has ensnared me (mentally).

The mental health services won’t help me. I find that that’s probably the biggest hyprocrisy and injustice of all it. I’m probably having PTSD (In fact just traumitic stress since it’s still going on). I’ve been hospitalized twice. But they don’t seem to believe that Iv got anything wrong with me. They discharged me back to the gp very quickly. I don’t know what to do...Please help. I would always help anyone who seemed like they needed it...
Reply 1
Im in a similar position except im in 1st year and its other substances I use to cope. Im looking for advice, and I have no advice to give. Did you ever get prescribed anti depressants by your gp?
Reply 2
Original post by Koffe
Im in a similar position except im in 1st year and its other substances I use to cope. Im looking for advice, and I have no advice to give. Did you ever get prescribed anti depressants by your gp?

Yeah Iv been on anti-depressants for a while. It helped at the start, as in it helped in terms of anxiety and getting out of the house. I think trying to stay positive is important. Getting into a good routine is also good.
Reply 3
Edit: The anti-depressent is escitalopram, take a few weeks to properly build up in your system.
Reply 4
Have you ever tried Modafinil. I have started taking it and I think it might have changed my life. I just bought it online. It really helped me focus and keeps me motivated. Would highly recommend it
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
I scraped through undergrad (third year I just about got through). Then I did an MSc which was fun (mainly because I didn’t put pressure on myself) and now am on the verge of doing a PhD. But I’m constantly depressed and anxious. The depression makes me not enjoy anything and literally feel like I may as well be not be here. Its like I’m permanently engulfed by a dark cloud. The anxiety is just as bad, I feel like I’m crippled with social fear all the time. I don’t have any friends in my area (I questioned my sexuality and everyone left me). This has been going on for almost 10 years. I would kill myself but I can’t think of a clean quick way to do it.

The only time I feel hopeful is when I drink, so as you can imagine I drink whenever I can. But the drinking isn’t the root of the problem. I feel the only way I can help myself is to move somewhere and find a good group of friends. I’m much more secure in my sexuality than I was even 5 years ago. But that isn’t even the point. People make comments about me on the street because I look like I’m basically constantly anxious/having a panic attack. I literally can’t believe how this has happened to me. I think I’m still in shock. Either that or the whole of society has ensnared me (mentally).

The mental health services won’t help me. I find that that’s probably the biggest hyprocrisy and injustice of all it. I’m probably having PTSD (In fact just traumitic stress since it’s still going on). I’ve been hospitalized twice. But they don’t seem to believe that Iv got anything wrong with me. They discharged me back to the gp very quickly. I don’t know what to do...Please help. I would always help anyone who seemed like they needed it...

Hey, if your anxiety is this bad, consider benzos. They will not fix your problems, but they will make your anxiety disappear. It's better than killing yourself, anyway. I've been on them for years.
Reply 6
Original post by Koffe
Have you ever tried Modafinil. I have started taking it and I think it might have changed my life. I just bought it online. It really helped me focus and keeps me motivated. Would highly recommend it

Wtf, how would an adhd drug help with anxiety, are you out of your mind?

Quick Reply

Latest