The Student Room Group

Dislike Times Exams

Strictly timed A level exams are so disgusting. How is such a strict time limit even useful in real life? What does it test? How does it benefit students?

Set up a tough paper but give student a moment to think. If someone has worked years for something, a few stupid errors shouldn't take away the grades the person deserves. But that's exactly what strictly timed A levels do.

I noticed a small error at the very last minute in my test. This was the second paper in the row where it happened. I'm sure I lost a whole bunch of marks in the first paper. I know how many people talk about how method marks play a major role and even if I make calculation errors, I do get the marks. But it's just not the case. A slight misreading may just make you go down a completely different path and you will lose all the marks. When I realised a error, I remember feeling a very sudden rise in my heart beats and then strangely, I felt really weak. I barely had enough strength to lift the pen. I could barely write. It felt like I was close to fainting. Just so much depends on this exam :frown:.

I feel like ceasing to exist when something that I've worked for and dreamed about throughout my life is taken away because of anxious me making stupid errors under time pressure. Honestly I am only living because unfortunately, there are people who care about me too much. But I wish no one cared about me so at least I would be free. I hate myself.
I used to feel the same way when I was at school. I always thought it was stupid to have to remember so much and then write it all in a timed environment; I mean, when will that ever be useful?

Now I have a job I feel completely diffferently. I cannot stop working to look each thing up, it would really affect my productivity, I'd never get anything done. Not to mention time constraints. My boss emails me to do/send him something. I can't waste time looking it up, I have to know how to do it and how to do it within a reasonable time frame.

I understand your frustration - but it's important to recognize these are transferable important skills.

Quick Reply

Latest