The Student Room Group

A Levels Confusion

I have only Chemistry and Maths in my A levels.. So what will be future with these two subjects? TIA
most universities want 3 a levels, could you repeat a year and take on a new subject?
Did you only take two A-levels and no other qualifications, or did you take e.g. two A-levels and a BTEC or similar course? There are some universities that may consider just two A-levels, and many would consider a combination of A-levels and other qualifications such as a BTEC or something. However depending what you want to do, you may need to undertake some further study before you can apply to university, if that's what you want to go on to do.

If you are a UK student under the age of 24 (I think it's 24) the simplest route may be simply to see if you can take a year out and take an extra A-level (or two) as above. Alternately you could take an Access to HE course in a college and then go on to university from that. You should be able to be funded by your local authority for this, or through advanced learner loans if you're over the age of 19 (possibly 21 now). If you take out advanced learner loans for an Access to HE course and subsequently complete a bachelors degree, the loans get written off as well.

You may need to apply to a degree with a foundation year, which would then provide you a preliminary year to cover any content you may have "missed" only taking two A-levels. These are quite common in STEM subjects for all students, however for non-STEM subjects they are generally limited to international students. You may also be able to take one or more modules at the Open University to add to your existing qualifications to meet the criteria of courses you may want to apply to.

That all said, if your goal is not to go to university and instead to enter the workforce, it doesn't really matter. There are plenty of jobs that don't require A-levels, and most that do (which don't also require a degree) tend to be flexible about requirements and likely will be fine with 2 A-levels. It may depend on the job in question of course though.
Reply 3
Thank you so much for your time and consideration. Actually i am currently doing my A levels and i have these two subjects and now as you said to take a new subject. What subject will be easy and suitable for me? ( I am really looking forward to some easy subject, i had physics and i dropped physics because for me it was a lot hard)

Original post by asdfgkillmenow
most universities want 3 a levels, could you repeat a year and take on a new subject?
i found biology was quite easy, many ciurses ask for a mixture of these 3 subjects. also sometimes schools wont offer you to do one whole a level in 1 year, something that would usually take 2 years, so if youve comoleted 2 years in sixth form already, it could be an idea to teach yourself the biology course in 1 year and then register with a sixth form for an exam
Original post by Binte
Thank you so much for your time and consideration. Actually i am currently doing my A levels and i have these two subjects and now as you said to take a new subject. What subject will be easy and suitable for me? ( I am really looking forward to some easy subject, i had physics and i dropped physics because for me it was a lot hard)

Quick Reply

Latest