The Student Room Group

Withdrawing from university and accommodation

Hello, I'm Niko and I'm very confused and anxious over university. This is my first time writing here, and I am confused on the process of cancelling my university offer. I have applied for a law degree (undergraduate) and have paid a License Fee for accommodation and have secured a room.
My issue is that I no longer want to go to university as I want to do a different course which requires an A level that I don't have (I will go on to do the A level so that I can apply for the course).
The university I applied to doesn't offer the course I want to do, so I no longer want to go to this university, and have tried to cancel the accommodation but have been told that I need to find a different tenant.
I want to completely drop out of this university, and I am waiting for my A level results, as I haven't started the first year yet, but I'm not sure what will happen with the accommodation contract, will me withdrawing from the university automatically cancel the accommodation? Please help, any responses are highly appreciated.
Also, the wording in my contract is very confusing (English is my second language), so I have tried to do research but nothing useful is coming up.
(edited 8 months ago)
I take it this is not university owned accommodation as pretty normal for private accommodation to not release you from the contract unless you find a replacement tenant.
Reply 2
Original post by CrimsonFlower
I take it this is not university owned accommodation as pretty normal for private accommodation to not release you from the contract unless you find a replacement tenant.

It is university owned
Can you not pay an early termination fee or something?
Original post by fat_monki
Hello, I'm Niko and I'm very confused and anxious over university. This is my first time writing here, and I am confused on the process of cancelling my university offer. I have applied for a law degree (undergraduate) and have paid a License Fee for accommodation and have secured a room.
My issue is that I no longer want to go to university as I want to do a different course which requires an A level that I don't have (I will go on to do the A level so that I can apply for the course).
The university I applied to doesn't offer the course I want to do, so I no longer want to go to this university, and have tried to cancel the accommodation but have been told that I need to find a different tenant.
I want to completely drop out of this university, and I am waiting for my A level results, as I haven't started the first year yet, but I'm not sure what will happen with the accommodation contract, will me withdrawing from the university automatically cancel the accommodation? Please help, any responses are highly appreciated.
Also, the wording in my contract is very confusing (English is my second language), so I have tried to do research but nothing useful is coming up.

Hello Niko Bellic

This is your brother Roman . Do you want to get a drink ?
Reply 5
Original post by Sorcerer of Old

No :frown: they emailed me saying I either have to pay the fees anyway or find a new tenant.
No :frown: they emailed me saying I either have to pay the fees anyway or find a new tenant.

Which university? What is the wording in your contract?
Reply 7
Original post by ageshallnot
Which university? What is the wording in your contract?

Coventry University, “You may terminate this agreement in writing: at any time prior to the Period of Occupation if you have not yet taken occupation of the Room”, I’m not sure whether this is saying if I can cancel the accommodation before I secure it or?
Reply 8
Original post by Sorcerer of Old

I’m not sure, it doesn’t state anything about that in the contract and they’re telling me to find a new tenant
Coventry University, “You may terminate this agreement in writing: at any time prior to the Period of Occupation if you have not yet taken occupation of the Room”, I’m not sure whether this is saying if I can cancel the accommodation before I secure it or?

It looks to me that you can cancel without penalty at any point prior to moving in.
Have you actually withdrawn from the university yet and explained that to accommodation people?

Before you cancel have you confirmed that doing the A-Level now will mean you would be considered for the other course and university? Sometimes they want you to have achieved all of them in one go.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending