The Student Room Group

Maths gcse 9-1 *URGENT*

hi everyone i'm struggling a lot here , so i've basically been self teaching myself maths 9-1 GCSE higher and have continued to get grade 3's in every mock/past paper that I did :frown: I started self teaching around January not intensely as I had work and other commitments I quit my full time job end of April to focus on getting this maths gcse for further education as I have offers to meet
Long story short I need advice on how to get from a grade 3 to a 4/5 in about 14 days which is when paper 2 is (calculator paper) maths unfortunatley has always been a weak subject for me but i'm willing to put in the hours now as I sat paper 1 yesterday which was a disaster for me ! just need to get some hope somehow that I get at least a grade 5 on the next papers....P.S i'm always about 15 marks off a grade 4 overall getting 13/80 on one paper and 16/80 on another but this was when I was working but still i NEED to pass this so badly :frown:
sorry for the rant thankyou to anyone who has read this x

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
following this topic, we're on the same boat.
Reply 2
are you doing higher tier also?
Original post by ErykJ
following this topic, we're on the same boat.
Honestly speaking, do past paper questions because maths is a more application based subject rather than memorising content. As youre doing content you will realise that you may be weak in some areas compared to others. You should then revise the areas that you are more weak at
Original post by alissah
hi everyone i'm struggling a lot here , so i've basically been self teaching myself maths 9-1 GCSE higher and have continued to get grade 3's in every mock/past paper that I did :frown: I started self teaching around January not intensely as I had work and other commitments I quit my full time job end of April to focus on getting this maths gcse for further education as I have offers to meet
Long story short I need advice on how to get from a grade 3 to a 4/5 in about 14 days which is when paper 2 is (calculator paper) maths unfortunatley has always been a weak subject for me but i'm willing to put in the hours now as I sat paper 1 yesterday which was a disaster for me ! just need to get some hope somehow that I get at least a grade 5 on the next papers....P.S i'm always about 15 marks off a grade 4 overall getting 13/80 on one paper and 16/80 on another but this was when I was working but still i NEED to pass this so badly :frown:
Reply 4
is it more likely to increase my marks for the next two papers as I need 35 marks at least per paper - will doing past papers everyday this week and next boost my grade to a 5 :cry2:
thanks for the advice btw :smile:
Original post by xxBANECHANxx
Honestly speaking, do past paper questions because maths is a more application based subject rather than memorising content. As youre doing content you will realise that you may be weak in some areas compared to others. You should then revise the areas that you are more weak at
No problem and yeah it should boost your grade up. Just work hard, do harder questions so that when you go on to doing the exam the questions wont seem that hard
Original post by alissah
is it more likely to increase my marks for the next two papers as I need 35 marks at least per paper - will doing past papers everyday this week and next boost my grade to a 5 :cry2:
thanks for the advice btw :smile:
Reply 6
if you don't mind me asking what grade did you get and how did you prep - same thing p papers only , I have this mathwatch CD but never used it really - what do you think?
No problem and yeah it should boost your grade up. Just work hard, do harder questions so that when you go on to doing the exam the questions wont seem that hard
In my school we had two mocks in one i had gotten a grade 7 and the other i had gotten a grade 8. What you should do is if you can find a paper which has questions from all the topics, do the paper and see which questions you couldn't do and what topic it links to. Then revise that topic and try similar but harder questions. You could use your maths watch CD but honestly i think it would be better for you if you asked a teacher to explain it to you or even a friend who understands the topic which you don't. For me personally, i don't really revise for the maths exams. I only do questions and if i dont understand a topic i watch a video on it (maths genie) or ask my teacher about it. My teacher tends to print out quite a few booklets filled with hard maths questions for me and and the kids in my class. Doing questions allows you to apply the maths that you know in a more effective way and helps you to identify your weak points as well. So defooo do questions; On maths genie theres quite a few papers, if you have access to churchill papers do them, cgp questions. Go on drfrost maths my teacher uses that website.
Original post by alissah
if you don't mind me asking what grade did you get and how did you prep - same thing p papers only , I have this mathwatch CD but never used it really - what do you think?
Original post by alissah
sorry for the rant thankyou to anyone who has read this .

Go through all the papers you did and just check on the mistakes that you have made. For each of those mistake revise those specific topics and do those questions again. Btw how did the 1H paper go?
Reply 9
Honestly the paper 1 went awful due to running out of time - I knew how to do most of them but just spent too long trying to figure one out and kept second guessing myself !! so yeah i'm just counting on these next two somehow I have a lot of work to do I think i'm still working at a grade 3 tbh
Original post by Rocky Handsome
Go through all the papers you did and just check on the mistakes that you have made. For each of those mistake revise those specific topics and do those questions again. Btw how did the 1H paper go?
ohh relax paper 1 was hard for everyone...and you know the grade boundaries for maths are always low. Just try harder next time and if you have any doubts feel free to message me.
Original post by alissah
Honestly the paper 1 went awful due to running out of time - I knew how to do most of them but just spent too long trying to figure one out and kept second guessing myself !! so yeah i'm just counting on these next two somehow I have a lot of work to do I think i'm still working at a grade 3 tbh
Reply 11
thankyou :smile: i'll try and just focus on paper practice in that case and the videos on mathgenie although theres still a LOT that i don't understand I think its because I didn't have a teacher and just self-taught :frown: I also got a tutor and it turned out he wasn't teaching me the new spec but the OLD spec meaning that the style of QS we did were no where near as challenging or set out like the new 9-1 , thats partly my fault for being a busy fool but I better start again asap as exam is in 14 days now :eek:
In my school we had two mocks in one i had gotten a grade 7 and the other i had gotten a grade 8. What you should do is if you can find a paper which has questions from all the topics, do the paper and see which questions you couldn't do and what topic it links to. Then revise that topic and try similar but harder questions. You could use your maths watch CD but honestly i think it would be better for you if you asked a teacher to explain it to you or even a friend who understands the topic which you don't. For me personally, i don't really revise for the maths exams. I only do questions and if i dont understand a topic i watch a video on it (maths genie) or ask my teacher about it. My teacher tends to print out quite a few booklets filled with hard maths questions for me and and the kids in my class. Doing questions allows you to apply the maths that you know in a more effective way and helps you to identify your weak points as well. So defooo do questions; On maths genie theres quite a few papers, if you have access to churchill papers do them, cgp questions. Go on drfrost maths my teacher uses that website.
Original post by alissah

Try some of the resources here: https://www.missbsresources.com/teaching-and-learning/mathspassports
Reply 13
thankyou hopefully I can try harder on the next ones.
Original post by Rocky Handsome
ohh relax paper 1 was hard for everyone...and you know the grade boundaries for maths are always low. Just try harder next time and if you have any doubts feel free to message me.
Reply 14
Ahh damn well your tutor was absolute garbage
but no problemm. Feel free to message me if you are confused on any topic and ill try my best to help. Good luck on your exams and i hope you work hard. And also dont worry about it, 14 days may not seem like a lot but it is actually a lot of time, just use the time you have efficiently.
Original post by alissah
thankyou :smile: i'll try and just focus on paper practice in that case and the videos on mathgenie although theres still a LOT that i don't understand I think its because I didn't have a teacher and just self-taught :frown: I also got a tutor and it turned out he wasn't teaching me the new spec but the OLD spec meaning that the style of QS we did were no where near as challenging or set out like the new 9-1 , thats partly my fault for being a busy fool but I better start again asap as exam is in 14 days now :eek:
Reply 16
he actually was looking back but yeah I hope so too! its just that I kind of don't know where to start like I need a plan of action before I begin work , ah thankyou :smile:
Ahh damn well your tutor was absolute garbage
but no problemm. Feel free to message me if you are confused on any topic and ill try my best to help. Good luck on your exams and i hope you work hard. And also dont worry about it, 14 days may not seem like a lot but it is actually a lot of time, just use the time you have efficiently.
Original post by alissah

Lots of excellent resources here to help with paper 2 revision
https://justmaths.co.uk/2019/05/22/practice-papers-for-paper-2-summer-2019/
and here
https://corbettmaths.com/2019/04/03/gcse-maths-summer-2019/
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by alissah

More resources

https://www.mathsgenie.co.uk/predictedpapers.html
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 19
thankyouu i hope these can get me a grade 5 :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending