The Student Room Group

Fancy restaurants ?

I’m looking for any fancy but cheap restaurants that you may recommend in London preferably around central London where it is more active .

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Valley4524
I’m looking for any fancy but cheap restaurants that you may recommend in London preferably around central London where it is more active .

I try and visit the Social Eating House, just off Oxford St, every year when I'm back in the UK. The food is superb, but the place is cool and very un-stuffy. A 3 course lunch is 28 quid, which is pretty damn good for central London at the best of times, never mind somewhere with a Michelin star on the door. They cocktails are also fantastic, they have a rotating selection with the lunch menu. The a la carte menu on the evening jumps in price a lot, for somewhere a little cheaper but fancy on the evenings I would recommend the Coal Shed.
there are some great Chinese restaurants in the Chinatown area ( surprise ! )

my favorite is Wong Kei at 41 Wardour Street ?
Original post by the bear
there are some great Chinese restaurants in the Chinatown area ( surprise ! )

my favorite is Wong Kei at 41 Wardour Street ?

Fancy and cheap in central London is a very tough call. Fancy and cheap??

I wouldn't say Wong Kei is fancy - they are so blunt towards their customers it's funny. But agree that the food is good.
Try this: Brasserie Zedel in Soho

Has menu prix fixe, with 3 course meal at £13.75. I love French food anyway, as it reminds me of my year abroad. It makes my elder son and I think of the interior of a 1930s cruise ship (don't get me started on cruise ships, I'm crazy about them). There are so many beautiful art deco designs on the walls. As a diehard fan of Poirot, a deco'd out restaurant is my dream come true. The American bar is also a deco fan's dream, and the cocktails are great.

Still waiting for @Themysticalegg to take us to the Shard though, @harrysbar

https://www.brasseriezedel.com/brasserie-zedel
Original post by harrysbar
Fancy and cheap in central London is a very tough call. Fancy and cheap??

I wouldn't say Wong Kei is fancy - they are so blunt towards their customers it's funny. But agree that the food is good.
Original post by Oxford Mum

Has menu prix fixe, with 3 course meal at £13.75. I love French food anyway, as it reminds me of my year abroad. It makes my elder son and I think of the interior of a 1930s cruise ship (don't get me started on cruise ships, I'm crazy about them). There are so many beautiful art deco designs on the walls. As a diehard fan of Poirot, a deco'd out restaurant is my dream come true. The American bar is also a deco fan's dream, and the cocktails are great.

*in Poirot voice*

alors Murm would you do me ze honneur of putting a leetle wax on ze end of my moustaches ?

:pierre:
Zara would be an honeur, mon petit Chou- fleur xx
Sorry should say zat not Zara ( damn you autocorrect! ) if I started putting wax on your moustaches in the middle of Zara, they would think I was major weird
Wow that's wonderfully well priced for London. :tongue: The Shard will be coming soon enough. I'm staying at the *hopefully* lovely Yorkway motel in York next week. :biggrin: Slowly crawling towards the shard. :tongue:

Have fun in York, mystic. Went there last week and it's always great. Will wait until you reach Shard status.
Original post by Themysticalegg
Wow that's wonderfully well priced for London. :tongue: The Shard will be coming soon enough. I'm staying at the *hopefully* lovely Yorkway motel in York next week. :biggrin: Slowly crawling towards the shard. :tongue:
Thank you I will! This is only the second time I've been to the North. The only thing with the North is they all speak interestingly, don't you think? @harrysbar
Have fun in York, mystic. Went there last week and it's always great. Will wait until you reach Shard status.
I don't have much of an accent, so may disappoint you. My whippet has a great accent, though (Yorkshire babe here)
Thank you I will! This is only the second time I've been to the North. The only thing with the North is they all speak interestingly, don't you think? @harrysbar

Ey up me duck......I'm sorry????
If someone said that I'd retort with -> Pardon you Sir/Madam I must ask you to refrain from calling me a duck. What an awfully barbaric pinch of slander, I wish to be seen as a human being thank you very much.
If someone said that I'd retort with -> Pardon you Sir/Madam I must ask you to refrain from calling me a duck. What an awfully barbaric pinch of slander, I wish to be seen as a human being thank you very much.

I identify as a human not a duck :tongue:
Shut thee cake oil, 'arry
Shut thee cake oil, 'arry

What's happened to OM??? Help her someone!
Translated this means, "please refrain from addressing me in this manner, Lady Harry"...

I once went out with a guy from Sheffield who spoke with a massive Yorkshire accent. It was like being in the middle of a Biblical epic, with all the "thees" and "thas". Remember the servant in Wuthering Heights? Was it Joseph? That was him, deffo.
What's happened to OM??? Help her someone!
I once went out with a guy from Sheffield who spoke with a massive Yorkshire accent. It was like being in the middle of a Biblical epic, with all the "thees" and "thas". Remember the servant in Wuthering Heights? Was it Joseph? That was him, deffo.

Just between me and you and I wouldn't admit this to anyone else in the world, but I have never managed to read Wuthering Heights. I've tried of course I have, more than once, but I just can't get past the boring bit at the beginning to the (apparently) passionate part with Heathcliff and Cathy :s-smilie:
You've never lived. I'd love to have a passionate Heathcliff after me, even though it might be a bit creepy :s-smilie:

The keener the fella, the better, in my book.
Just between me and you and I wouldn't admit this to anyone else in the world, but I have never managed to read Wuthering Heights. I've tried of course I have, more than once, but I just can't get past the boring bit at the beginning to the (apparently) passionate part with Heathcliff and Cathy :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest