The Student Room Group

I don't like eating together with my bf

Hi,

I've been seeing my bf for about a year now. We used to live really close so we always see each other alot everyday. Now I've moved like 45 minutes away so we see each other once in the weekend now.

Whenever we make plans to do something, it always include going to a restaurant to eat and then after having a walk or another activity.

I don't know what it is... but whenever I'm eating with my bf at those times in a restaurant or wherever, I find it so boring. We arrive there and order the food and talk a few words and then when the food comes, he just eats and doesn't say much after which I don't enjoy at all and we're in silence. After we finish eating and having a walk, he says a bit more and talks about himself which is fine. Should I tell him that its so boring eating with him? Can I ask him if we can do some activities instead like going to the park or doing something fun and he can eat before we meet? Would he take it another way?

Its a very different experience when I go out eating with my friends. We can spend like an hour and a half eating and talking about lots of different things and it feel like a very enjoyable time.

I just feel so uncomfortable eating with my bf when its so quiet and he is just sits there eating his food and not saying anything to me like a stranger. Its completely fine when we do things together like going to a park, walking or shopping where we talk alot more and share things. A day or so before meeting, he will say that he will organise the restaurant, even without me saying anything about food so I take it as though he wants to go to eat something together.
You should learn to be comfortable with silences. Not every minute together has to be filled with talking, though have you discussed it with him?
If you want to get up to different activities, just ask. Or suggest some
Reply 3
From what you describe, perhaps the romance is cooling. Otherwise, try and move things in the direction of other activities where you have more fun together
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi,

I've been seeing my bf for about a year now. We used to live really close so we always see each other alot everyday. Now I've moved like 45 minutes away so we see each other once in the weekend now.

Whenever we make plans to do something, it always include going to a restaurant to eat and then after having a walk or another activity.

I don't know what it is... but whenever I'm eating with my bf at those times in a restaurant or wherever, I find it so boring. We arrive there and order the food and talk a few words and then when the food comes, he just eats and doesn't say much after which I don't enjoy at all and we're in silence. After we finish eating and having a walk, he says a bit more and talks about himself which is fine. Should I tell him that its so boring eating with him? Can I ask him if we can do some activities instead like going to the park or doing something fun and he can eat before we meet? Would he take it another way?

Its a very different experience when I go out eating with my friends. We can spend like an hour and a half eating and talking about lots of different things and it feel like a very enjoyable time.

I just feel so uncomfortable eating with my bf when its so quiet and he is just sits there eating his food and not saying anything to me like a stranger. Its completely fine when we do things together like going to a park, walking or shopping where we talk alot more and share things. A day or so before meeting, he will say that he will organise the restaurant, even without me saying anything about food so I take it as though he wants to go to eat something together.

When it comes to eating, there's no room for distractions. Focus on your meal, and don't let anything or anyone else take your attention away. Keep in mind that nobody's perfect, including your boyfriend and YOU, so don't expect him to be. Also, be careful not to talk too much while you eat, as it can lead to choking. Take charge of your mealtime and enjoy it to the fullest!
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi,

I totally know what you mean I used to have a similar problem with my boyfriend. I would sit there comparing it to how it feels when I’m with my family and we laugh and talk for ages whilst eating. Might just be a guy thing my family is just women lol. But how I fixed it with my bf is actually by just bringing it up to him. Going to a restaurant with your loved one can be wonderful don’t just try compromising without talking to him about it by suggesting another activity instead. I would say try talking to him about it- maybe he is just nervous in those more “fancy” settings? Tell him you would really enjoy if you chatted more during meals. Maybe ask - to compromise on your suggestion- if you could go somewhere else for dinner one night. Maybe someplace a little less threatening like a more humble cafe or small restaurant? I understand the struggle totally. You got this!
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous #4
I totally know what you mean I used to have a similar problem with my boyfriend. I would sit there comparing it to how it feels when I’m with my family and we laugh and talk for ages whilst eating. Might just be a guy thing my family is just women lol. But how I fixed it with my bf is actually by just bringing it up to him. Going to a restaurant with your loved one can be wonderful don’t just try compromising without talking to him about it by suggesting another activity instead. I would say try talking to him about it- maybe he is just nervous in those more “fancy” settings? Tell him you would really enjoy if you chatted more during meals. Maybe ask - to compromise on your suggestion- if you could go somewhere else for dinner one night. Maybe someplace a little less threatening like a more humble cafe or small restaurant? I understand the struggle totally. You got this!

Thank you. I'll talk about it with him.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending