The Student Room Group

POLL!!! Close down all universities outside the top 50

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bazyli
Maybe there should be a referendum on this. Think of the billions that can be spent on healthcare and infrastructure instead of liberal arts courses

You haven’t even spoken to your mp about your ideas.

How many graduates from liberal arts degrees do you think there are in the uk? Or are you meaning something other than liberal arts?
The course my husband teaches on has an exceptionally high graduate employment rate in related fields. The uni is ranked somewhere in the 70’s.
Not another one of these threads. Rankings aren't even consistent - get in the bin.
Reply 83
Original post by welcometotherock
The course my husband teaches on has an exceptionally high graduate employment rate in related fields. The uni is ranked somewhere in the 70’s.

Somewhere in the 70s*. There will of course be exceptions, and I would suggest all courses are assessed independently, however the point remains that the vast majority of courses offered at poorly-ranked universities have unacceptable graduate prospects for the fee they are charging
Reply 84
Original post by Retired_Messiah
Not another one of these threads. Rankings aren't even consistent - get in the bin.

That is why a more comprehensive ranking should be developed
Reply 85
Original post by welcometotherock

Wet wipe.
Reply 86
Original post by J-SP
That is not a “point”. That is your opinion - one based on little to no knowledge on the subject matter.

I’ve researched thoroughly
Reply 87
Original post by J-SP
Really?!

What have you read?
What data have you analysed?
How long have you been doing this research?
What experience do you have in working in the sector?

I’ve done plenty of research on unistats, ucas, what uni and all the major websites advising students on course options. My careers advisor has provided plenty of evidence in school showing the huge disparity in graduate prospects from the top 50 to the bottom 70.
Thousands of articles have also been published evidencing the disparity in graduate salaries:
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-5093461/amp/The-universities-earn-graduates-highest-salaries.html

Therefore, I do consider my opinion to be well-founded
Reply 88
Original post by J-SP
You didn’t answer any of my questions.

I don’t think you have truly researched this. Your approach seems to be to type a couple of key words into google and copy the top link into your posts, without really understanding the context of the link.

I’m sure you do think your own opinion is well founded. But it’s been clear on here how flawed and naive it is.

Look at the poll results lol, the majority agree that this should be looked into
Reply 89
Original post by J-SP
I can’t see poll results on the mobile version of this app.

Jesus, if we took every poll on TSR as how we should function we’d be a seriously screwed world.

Do you wouldn’t even propose looking into the possibility of scrapping courses such as social studies and hospitality charging 9k a year for students ending up in low paid jobs? Seriously?!
only on TSR😒
what about courses and perhaps unis where more people are going onto postgraduate work than employment, surely that would factor into employment rates 5 years post graduation?
Original post by Bazyli
They actually don’t since students rarely earn enough to pay their tuition fees. The bill is footed by the taxpayer. I suggest you do some research before commenting

this applies to the vast majority of individuals at uni, save for a few select subjects like medicine, even someone who does something like psychics can't necessarily hope to pay of their student loan
Reply 93
POLL: ban boring reactionaries from making silly TSR threads
Having personally been through this whole experience, I would say that if you look unistats that many of the graduate salary stats after 6 months post-graduation and 3 years have a small sample size and not representative of the whole cohort. If you truly believe these stats to be the end of it all then you've just defeated yourself into a self fulling prophecy. I think it's up to each individual to make their destiny to be honest. I met people at interviews from universities below the top 50 (some reaching 100th) but also many in the top 10 what attracted Fortune 500/FTSE 100 employers to these students? A big factor was previous work experience. I just looked at my university's unistats for my course and the average salary is £20,000 with the maximum in the range of £25,000. But I and others are above this? Why? -> Mainly year in industry students but also people willing to move. The area my university is in is not classed as a wealthy region of the UK but the people who are willing to move away are able to beat the average salary.
Original post by Bazyli
I’ve done plenty of research on unistats, ucas, what uni and all the major websites advising students on course options. My careers advisor has provided plenty of evidence in school showing the huge disparity in graduate prospects from the top 50 to the bottom 70.
Thousands of articles have also been published evidencing the disparity in graduate salaries:
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-5093461/amp/The-universities-earn-graduates-highest-salaries.html

Therefore, I do consider my opinion to be well-founded

I just read the start of your post, I got a C and a D at A-level. :laugh: I had to work my behind off in terms of getting work experience, networking with employers and going into competitions to get to where I am. To avoid sinking below the competition. I didn't need any reassurances.

Making universities free is not the best idea, considering many institutions rely on this funding to survive and simply chopping off the universities below the top 50 causes another issue of serious damage to local economies but also funding gaps or severe cuts if the government doesn't fill the gap. For less wealthy regions such as my university city. Where the city relies on the local students to purchase goods in the area and the universities for employment. If these institutions crashed well the area has call centres and retail left for the most part. What do you mean by sucking students dry, if they don't get a job which reaches the income threshold they don't pay a single penny. If you do pass this threshold it hardly dents your income, I honestly don't care about paying £360 a year for my first graduate job. It's given me social mobility.

Also an example is a subject like Cyber Security, many of the universities which offer it are below the top 50 yet it is a degree which fills a skills gap.
(edited 4 years ago)
To be fair it got a reaction out of me. :laugh:
Original post by gjd800
POLL: ban boring reactionaries from making silly TSR threads
Reply 96
I know, but I am prone to such idealistic, utopian dreams. :frown:
Reply 97
It would seem I have been browsing the wrong threads.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending