The Student Room Group

Advice

I am an introvert who is struggling with friendships currently. When I was younger I had a lot of friends usually because I was quite goofy and silly and would invite people to my house and would t really feel left out. After I finished college which was mid covid I was close with a group of girls but my social anxiety during this period worsened a lot and I felt unable to practically talk to anyone. I pushed these gorup of girls away however they did try with me. After I had a melt down during summer I pushed them away completely and stopped all contact with them for a year. Some of this fuelled from jealousy as well. Last year one of the girls whom I grew up with messaged me saying how she felt bad that she distanced herself from me and we met up. Whilst it was good I always felt she was closer to the other girls in the group than me therefore progress for our friendship was quite slow. Until recently I meet up with her often and have learnt friendships really are 50/50. The other girls I have become closer with especially since the girl that messaged me invites me to outings with the other girls. However I am not comeptlty close with them and I am not in a group chat with them. I also sometimes feel like I am intruding and they have already formed such a close friendship but in reality nothing is suggesting that they don’t want things to go back to how they were. I am getting closer with the girl that originally messaged me and have become a lot more vulnerable around her. However it does hurt sometimes when I see her go out with the other girls in the group. What do you think I should do
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I am an introvert who is struggling with friendships currently. When I was younger I had a lot of friends usually because I was quite goofy and silly and would invite people to my house and would t really feel left out. After I finished college which was mid covid I was close with a group of girls but my social anxiety during this period worsened a lot and I felt unable to practically talk to anyone. I pushed these gorup of girls away however they did try with me. After I had a melt down during summer I pushed them away completely and stopped all contact with them for a year. Some of this fuelled from jealousy as well. Last year one of the girls whom I grew up with messaged me saying how she felt bad that she distanced herself from me and we met up. Whilst it was good I always felt she was closer to the other girls in the group than me therefore progress for our friendship was quite slow. Until recently I meet up with her often and have learnt friendships really are 50/50. The other girls I have become closer with especially since the girl that messaged me invites me to outings with the other girls. However I am not comeptlty close with them and I am not in a group chat with them. I also sometimes feel like I am intruding and they have already formed such a close friendship but in reality nothing is suggesting that they don’t want things to go back to how they were. I am getting closer with the girl that originally messaged me and have become a lot more vulnerable around her. However it does hurt sometimes when I see her go out with the other girls in the group. What do you think I should do

Hi there.

It can be normal for you to feel like an outsider. It's good you realise friendship works both ways and it's clear that she's making an effort. Just remember to stay true to who you are and if the friendship is something you want then it's worth putting effort into. It'll take time to become closer but you could perhaps ask her to introduce you to her friendship group so you feel less like an outsider.

Best wishes. :smile:
(edited 9 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending