The Student Room Group

2019 Cambridge Chemistry Challenge

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Apad121
I heard rumours that some schools had teachers who would take a quick look at the papers beforehand and then give students "hints" about what would come up. Have any of you come across this?

As for the paper itself, I thought it was slightly easier in difficulty compared to the 2018 and 2017 papers. In many ways it seemed similar to the 2nd question in the 2011 paper. I am eager to found out the grade boundaries and see if they rise this year.

The last two questions seemed very tricky though.

Even if they did, those students would be caught out eventually. That being said, I definitely wish my teacher did that lol. I was a B/C grade student that could only cower before the organic questions. F**king hell. It was a nice learning curve though. I'm sure some of our A* students probably handled it much better than I did.
Deleted
(edited 4 years ago)
Deleted
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 43
What a common feeling. Tentatively, I might even say I found it more difficult than the Olympiad earlier in the year. As a L6 student the pressure during that exam was refreshingly minimal.
Original post by thekidwhogames
Yeah I panicked and choked during exam conditions
Original post by dlsoii
What a common feeling. Tentatively, I might even say I found it more difficult than the Olympiad earlier in the year. As a L6 student the pressure during that exam was refreshingly minimal.

Yeah a lot of people did. ukcho went from 40 to 28 for a gold which is 15% drop and historically c3l6 boundaries can rise or decrease by like 15%. Do you think 42.5 can be rg? This would be 7% decrease or something
Reply 45
I mean, while the standard mark for Rg is around 47-50 out of 60, it did drop to 42 for the 2014 season, if I remember correctly. At this point though, I've put it out of my head that I have any chance at Rg.
Yeah a lot of people did. ukcho went from 40 to 28 for a gold which is 15% drop and historically c3l6 boundaries can rise or decrease by like 15%. Do you think 42.5 can be rg? This would be 7% decrease or something
Original post by dlsoii
I mean, while the standard mark for Rg is around 47-50 out of 60, it did drop to 42 for the 2014 season, if I remember correctly. At this point though, I've put it out of my head that I have any chance at Rg.

Yeah it went between 70 and 83%. What mark you think you got?
Reply 47
I am utter trash at that sort of stuff, but can say with fair confidence that I think I got >50%. I didn't even notice the total number of marks oof
Yeah it went between 70 and 83%. What mark you think you got?
Original post by dlsoii
I am utter trash at that sort of stuff, but can say with fair confidence that I think I got >50%. I didn't even notice the total number of marks oof

Bigger than 50?
Reply 49
No way lol, I mean greater than 50 percent so around at least 30 marks.
Bigger than 50?
Original post by dlsoii
No way lol, I mean greater than 50 percent so around at least 30 marks.

So around 50% I meant? So should be a gold. Do you think boundaries will go down?
Reply 51
I should think so, yes. The whole theme of the paper was just odd and the questions were not the standard for C3L6. My teacher is marking ours over the weekend, so I should know my mark by Monday.
So around 50% I meant? So should be a gold. Do you think boundaries will go down?
Original post by dlsoii
I should think so, yes. The whole theme of the paper was just odd and the questions were not the standard for C3L6. My teacher is marking ours over the weekend, so I should know my mark by Monday.

By how much? Like UKCHO? The sryle was different for the actual round 1 and boundaries dropped massively as a result. So you think 66% may be Rg? As it was 75 last year.

For reference UKCHO went from 50% to 35% for gold
Reply 53
Honestly, I wouldn't be so generous. I'd say more like a drop to 70%. I can't wait to discuss the paper, because I really have no idea what the national consensus was. What happened with the Olympiad was incredibly rare and very lucky for any L6 that sat it. I cannot see an event of such magnitude being replicated here.
By how much? Like UKCHO? The sryle was different for the actual round 1 and boundaries dropped massively as a result. So you think 66% may be Rg? As it was 75 last year.

For reference UKCHO went from 50% to 35% for gold
Reply 54
Right now, I would place Rg at 42-44 marks but very much hope I am proved wrong.
Original post by dlsoii
Honestly, I wouldn't be so generous. I'd say more like a drop to 70%. I can't wait to discuss the paper, because I really have no idea what the national consensus was. What happened with the Olympiad was incredibly rare and very lucky for any L6 that sat it. I cannot see an event of such magnitude being replicated here.

Original post by dlsoii
Right now, I would place Rg at 42-44 marks but very much hope I am proved wrong.

So you think it may be lower than that? I got 42.5 I think so I'm HOPING it's 41 or 42. Also why wouldn't it repeat? Also boundaries sometimes fluctuate by 15 or so. It dropped to 70% but back then thr too students did very well hence high Rg an low gold hit this year even the top students struggledba lot I think. I'm. Hoping low Rg but high gold situation
Reply 56
Yep. In the same situation, in practice I was always pushing the Au boundary or just making the Rg boundary. Which other students have you spoken too? I go to a grammar school, and generally most people did find it difficult but only a few actually prepared so it's not a particularly trusty cohort.
So you think it may be lower than that? I got 42.5 I think so I'm HOPING it's 41 or 42. Also why wouldn't it repeat? Also boundaries sometimes fluctuate by 15 or so. It dropped to 70% but back then thr too students did very well hence high Rg an low gold hit this year even the top students struggledba lot I think. I'm. Hoping low Rg but high gold situation
Deleted
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 58
Deleted
(edited 4 years ago)
Deleted
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest