The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Found it pretty easy. Annoyed at how I didn't think of C3H8 as an empirical formula, deciding on C2H5Br as an alkane -.- Some REALLY weird Qs in unit 3 though :s-smilie:
Reply 2
i retook unit 1 and found it quite straight forward except the question about why boiling temperature is much higher in metals than melting temperature or something like that.the first few questions of unit 3 were good with all the tests but i didnt know how to answer the last question. how did everyone else find it?
Reply 3
With the Unit 1 structure and bonding question: I think it was to do with the stronger electrostatic attraction between Na and Cl because Cl is more electronegative, but I'm not sure.
Reply 4
Oh, I did a similar Q with C-I and C-Cl bonds. Something along the lines of Na-Cl bond being shorter, more energy needed to break.
On the last question on 3B, I did the experiment where you heat them and measure mass change.
Reply 6
Unit 3B was the worst literally left out like half the paper.. Unit 1 and 2 were relatively easy though in my opinion
callum9999
On the last question on 3B, I did the experiment where you heat them and measure mass change.

yay!! I wasn't the only one, that's soooo reassuring^^
~*~rAiNbOw~*~
yay!! I wasn't the only one, that's soooo reassuring^^

Only a couple of people that I asked did that. Of the people who knew what to do most of them bubbled the gas through limewater.

Did you measure the mass change over a certain period of time, or the time it took for the mass to stop changing?
Reply 9
Unit 3 was a nightmare...my god, i left around 15 marks or somethin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
just a random question: do you think its cheating to continue writing after the invigilator has said to put ur pens down?...coz I was going to write in ethanoic solution for the potassium cynide question (unit2) but didn't coz it was the end. My mum thought I was a complete idiot for not writing it. I just want to ensure I follwed all the rules and did the paper fairly. Was what I did right or wrong?
callum9999
Only a couple of people that I asked did that. Of the people who knew what to do most of them bubbled the gas through limewater.

Did you measure the mass change over a certain period of time, or the time it took for the mass to stop changing?

but it was to do with thermal stability, i.e HEAT!! I continued to heat and re-weigh until there was no further change in mass then took away from initial mass of the carbonate.

LOL was gonna do HCl with limewater and calcium carbonate soln. as it was the only test I'd learnt for carbonates, but then luckily I thought it through logically:smile:
Reply 12
~*~rAiNbOw~*~
just a random question: do you think its cheating to continue writing after the invigilator has said to put ur pens down?...coz I was going to write in ethanoic solution for the potassium cynide question (unit2) but didn't coz it was the end. My mum thought I was a complete idiot for not writing it. I just want to ensure I follwed all the rules and did the paper fairly. Was what I did right or wrong?

Technically right. If you get caught doing that you might be in some trouble, but it's kinda hard to catch anyone...Can just say you were writing in your candidate number or something. Not that I do any of this :P I agree with your mum :p:
Reply 13
~*~rAiNbOw~*~
but it was to do with thermal stability, i.e HEAT!! I continued to heat and re-weigh until there was no further change in mass then took away from initial mass of the carbonate.

LOL was gonna do HCl with limewater and calcium carbonate soln. as it was the only test I'd learnt for carbonates, but then luckily I thought it through logically:smile:

Yes it's to do with thermal stability. But heating and reweighing doesn't determine which is more stable. You need something along the lines of:
Weigh out equal number of moles of group 2 carbonates (I gave the ratio of masses). Sealed container with gas syringe. Hold container at equal heights above an equal flame to ensure same amount of heating. Stop after 2 minutes, check amount of gas evolved. Less gas = more thermally stable. I know a few people did this, and some did it by mass (Perfectly fine - lower proportion of mass at end left = less stable).
damn...stupid conscience
Zygroth
Yes it's to do with thermal stability. But heating and reweighing doesn't determine which is more stable. You need something along the lines of:
Weigh out equal number of moles of group 2 carbonates (I gave the ratio of masses). Sealed container with gas syringe. Hold container at equal heights above an equal flame to ensure same amount of heating. Stop after 2 minutes, check amount of gas evolved. Less gas = more thermally stable. I know a few people did this, and some did it by mass (Perfectly fine - lower proportion of mass at end left = less stable).

fair enough... But I said the metal carbonate with the least change in mass was more thermally stable and vice versa; is that okay?
Reply 16
what was the answer to the question in unit 3B asking why the mass of zinc is not used in the calculation?
Also what was the reason for the high boiling temperature of molten NaI and NaCl?
empirical formula: simplest ratio of elements in the compound...right?
~*~rAiNbOw~*~

I suppose you could heat it and collect the gas to put through limewater, I don't think that would give very clear results though.
Zygroth

Surely the least stable ones would lose mass the fastest though?

Latest

Trending

Trending