The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
its a hydroxyethanoic acid and a ethandioic acid but they havn't taught us much so i dunno whether they will give us leaniency about that...i got the dioc acid but im not sure whether i left the O on my H with my carboxylic group on the other carbon...i hope so :frown:
Reply 241
Thanks

OK, last one, honestly.

What about the reaction of the diol with ethanolic potassium hydroxide, bromoethene or ethene?

Thanks
Reply 242
i wrote down ethene, but i think the examiners will allow both
Reply 243
me thinks unit 1 and 2 were especially terrible.
wish i had revised
Reply 244
redsox20
Thanks

OK, last one, honestly.

What about the reaction of the diol with ethanolic potassium hydroxide, bromoethene or ethene?

Thanks

I don't think we were even taught on that to be honest. Anyway, that only gives one mark so it's not that bad.
~Adel~
I don't think we were even taught on that to be honest. Anyway, that only gives one mark so it's not that bad.

atually the answer to this question is ethyne it came up in a old past paper
~Adel~

in the paper june 2001 Q1 (C)
this question came
Reply 247
We're using the 2004 syllabus actually..(i think so) so presumably, we are not required to know stuff that are NOT in our syllabus..
Reply 248
ismail jamaluddin
in the paper june 2001 Q1 (C)
this question came

And how are we supposed to know that?...And if u dont mind me asking CH2 is not the name of the unit CH2 is AQA board this is edexcel?
Reply 249
Oxy, i think that could be edexcel's paper but that is a 2001 paper, which means it's out of our syllabus as ours started in 2004, not 2001.
Oxy
And how are we supposed to know that?...And if u dont mind me asking CH2 is not the name of the unit CH2 is AQA board this is edexcel?

this is the edexcel paper oxy
and by the way the question asked
"Suggest the name or formula of a compound that would be obtained if
compound B were reacted with ethanolic potassium hydroxide"
so it can be ethyne
but not ethene or bromoethene
Reply 251
The problem is, the word ethyne is not even in our syllabus. I have it in right in front of me now and i can't even find the term ''ethyne'' in it. Not in the organic chemistry part at least. I seriously never learned that before, i was thinking it could be two Carbon atoms with four bonds with each other but that got out of my mind immediately as didn't know such compound exists!
MimbleWimble
Anyone hoping for huge upgrades?

Well, given the fact that I got a D in Unit 1 in January 2007 as Year 12, and I only chose to resit Unit 1 now, in my last possible chance of sitting exams, I hope to move from a D up to an A. I need a B (minimum) for Chemistry for mechanical engineering (either that or Further Maths, which I am taking, but feel less confident with).

I ended up choosing to also resit my Unit 2, even though I already had a B, because I thought it would be easy for me to improve it to an A.

But I'm glad that I didn't have to resit Unit 4, where I just almost made an A. I got top of my class with a UMS of 71, while the rest of my class got C's, D's, and E's. It's going to be really painful for my classmates to do Unit 4 AND Unit 5 tomorrow...

E.M.C.
I wrote the stuffs from unit 4, about the sum of the ionic radii being greater for NaI than that for NaCl, so attraction is less so less energy needed to separate Na ions and I ions.

I ended up using the fact that the Iodide ion is more polarisable by the Sodium ion, which gives rise to covalent characteristics, and therefore a lower boiling/melting point (or whatever it was).

But why is the boiling point of molten NaCl and NaI so high? I thought that when the salts are molten, the ions are free. I ended up using the argument that there are still lattices that need to be broken, and so the temperature is so high.

~Adel~
The problem is, the word ethyne is not even in our syllabus.

Funnily enough, we here know what Ethyne is. Ethyne is C2H2. There is a triple bond between the Carbons. Sort of like a Nitrile. It does exist.
Reply 253
For that question, all I could remember is that a halogen is a removed and an adjacent H atom in a normal halogenoalkane with 1 halogen atom. but if it was 1,2 dibromoethane, then it should be two Br atoms because I'd assume they are adjacent to each, so they are both removed, forming ethene.

Ah, yeah I wish the grade boundaries are lower this time round. I really need an A but I made really stupid mistakes in all papers. Gah!
when does the June 2008 markschemes come out?
Reply 255
ismail jamaluddin
this is the edexcel paper oxy
and by the way the question asked
"Suggest the name or formula of a compound that would be obtained if
compound B were reacted with ethanolic potassium hydroxide"
so it can be ethyne
but not ethene or bromoethene

Erm no im sorry but your wrong, that markscheme is an AQA one i can tell by the layout because i do AQA Human Biology and the Unit name is wrong because the unit is not CH2 just simply Unit 2. Im willing to bet. Also the specification has been modified since 2001 and EVEN if you are right, it mightof been taken out of ths specification. kthnxbai

And yes everyone may know what ethyne (im sure any competant chemist does) but the fact its not in the markscheme means it cannot be tested on.
Reply 256
Funnily enough, we here know what Ethyne is. Ethyne is C2H2. There is a triple bond between the Carbons. Sort of like a Nitrile. It does exist.

Fair enough if you know it, but it's not in the syllabus so i think that means we're not expected to know, though it'd be excellent for students to know a little more than what's in the text book. And i bet it's not in OUR syllabus. Anyway, your answer won't go wrong as it's theoretically correct(though not included in the spec). The rest of us(like oxy and I)have no choice but to cling on the fact that we weren't expected to know and perhaps there will be some other answers.
Yeah, I know that we are not expected to know, but our Chemistry teachers have had experience with other exam boards and know what sort of questions they can throw in exams, and they also tells us for things to keep out for, or things to have a general knowledge on.

That's why I said "funnily enough". Because it was by chance I knew what it was. it wasn't from revision. But I'm just glad that the Unit 2 wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.

Does anyone remember the Unit 2 they had in January? I resat it, came out of the test feeling so-so about the paper, and found out that I had done worse and scored a D.

The question that they asked about Octanol and Hydrogen gas and how it is used for fuels, by comparing the data, just didn't do it for me. I ended up guessing a lot of the paper.

How did other people find the Unit 4 chemistry exam, for those who did in January?

I actually found it quite challenging, given the fact that there was question with an Amino, and then there were the 4 other organic compounds that asked for the products formed from the reaction. I had a real hard time with those questions, and actually had to write down every conceivable reaction that I could recall, just to make sure that I would get the right one.

The last one, which was with Methanol, managed to catch me out, cause I had thought it would have reacted with the Amine group, but "pen's down" came by, and realised too late it was an estirification.

But anyways...
I think the mark schemes for Jun 2008 will come out when the marks are released.

I haven't been able to acquire a January 2008 mark scheme for any exam, except for M2, which was given by the teacher... I have no idea.
Reply 259
I did Unit 4 in January and surprisingly, scored quite well. I can't remember much of the questions now but i really didn't expect that score for myself. I guess the grade boundary was pretty low or else i wouldn't have got 89/90.

Latest

Trending

Trending