The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

~Adel~
Funnily enough, we here know what Ethyne is. Ethyne is C2H2. There is a triple bond between the Carbons. Sort of like a Nitrile. It does exist.

Fair enough if you know it, but it's not in the syllabus so i think that means we're not expected to know, though it'd be excellent for students to know a little more than what's in the text book. And i bet it's not in OUR syllabus. Anyway, your answer won't go wrong as it's theoretically correct(though not included in the spec). The rest of us(like oxy and I)have no choice but to cling on the fact that we weren't expected to know and perhaps there will be some other answers.

i know that you arent expected to know anything about ethynes but in the
question we were reacting C2H4Br2 with KOH(ethanolic)
and as we know that with one halide ion one hydrogen is also eliminated
so with two halide ions two hydrogen eliminated so ethyne i mean C2H2 formed
Reply 261
Yeah, i mentioned in my previous post that i did think of it as it should give that compound but since i have never come across it i thought it'd be better for me to just stick to what i've learned. Besides, the reaction could be incomplete and give rise to bromoethane too. Anyway, i won't bump my head into the wall just for one mark. I've learned a new compound called ethyne so i should be rejoicing.
Reply 262
I'm pretty sure they will take other possibilites into account because of the fact we didn't learn anything like that anyway. Same for that question regarding the -diol, we only learn about what happens to 1 alcholol group, not two in a compound, so all is good hopefully.
~Adel~
Yeah, i mentioned in my previous post that i did think of it as it should give that compound but since i have never come across it i thought it'd be better for me to just stick to what i've learned. Besides, the reaction could be incomplete and give rise to bromoethane too. Anyway, i won't bump my head into the wall just for one mark. I've learned a new compound called ethyne so i should be rejoicing.

lol you should rejoice cause wasnt that hard
Reply 264
fait
I'm pretty sure they will take other possibilites into account because of the fact we didn't learn anything like that anyway. Same for that question regarding the -diol, we only learn about what happens to 1 alcholol group, not two in a compound, so all is good hopefully.

Examiners are on our side apparently :tongue:
Reply 265
Oxy
Examiners are on our side apparently :tongue:

Here's to wishful thinking! :biggrin:
Reply 266
ismail jamaluddin
lol you should rejoice cause wasnt that hard

True..or else i'd have grieved over that one mark. It was really quite easy compared to my first sitting.
so it was ethyne and not ethene?
wtf?
Reply 268
Theoretically it should be ethyne but we are not expected to know the name i suppose. There might be a few answers for that question. Anyway, it's just a one mark question so there's no need to over-react on it..lol..
Reply 269
i would still liek to hear the theory about how it becomes ethyne if he knows it all?..This shall be interesting
Reply 270
It's quite logical to be honest, oxy. That structure went through my mind but i didn't write it because i never learned it before. Elimination process will get rid of HBr(per functional group), since there were two functional groups, 2 molecules of HBr will be eliminated and i think that gives ''ethyne''.
Oxy
i would still liek to hear the theory about how it becomes ethyne if he knows it all?..This shall be interesting

we know the reaction of 1bromoethane with KOH(ALC)
eliminates one H and Br thus giving Ethene C2H4
so in the reaction of 1,2bromoethane with KOH(ALC)
two Br and two h removed thus giving C2H2
that is why they also gave you the option to write the formula or name of the compound
even if you did not know the name of the compound you could have wrote the formula one other possible answer might be 1BROMOEHTHENE this is possible if you assume only one halide ion reacts
I think the same would apply to oxidising a diol. If you know how to oxidise a primary and secondary alcohol, just apply the same principals to those OH groups on both ends.
Reply 273
Edexcel's chemistry unit 5 paper now looks like a blessing to me after siting for so many other A2 papers..i'm officially hating edexcel now.
Reply 274
ismail jamaluddin
we know the reaction of 1bromoethane with KOH(ALC)
eliminates one H and Br thus giving Ethene C2H4
so in the reaction of 1,2bromoethane with KOH(ALC)
two Br and two h removed thus giving C2H2
that is why they also gave you the option to write the formula or name of the compound
even if you did not know the name of the compound you could have wrote the formula one other possible answer might be 1BROMOEHTHENE this is possible if you assume only one halide ion reacts

Why can it not just take Br2 instead of 2 lots of HBR? because if u react an alkene with Br2 u get 1,2 dibromo ..and if what ur saying is true it knocks of a total of 4 atoms? If you could get some proof please?
Reply 275
oxy, ismail is probably right. It was a reaction with KOH(ethanolic) so that means it had to be an elimination reaction, so one H and one Br will be detached from the reactant organic compound.
Reply 276
faire enough if u think so but i dont. I know its elimination - what you've just wrote saying 1 Br and H will be detatched isn't what ismail is saying, he said noth bromine and 2 hydrogen atoms are removed leaving C2H2? Why not just take both bromine atoms, surely taking 2 bromine atoms is easier than two bromine atoms plus 2 hydrogen
yeah and isn't the C-Br bond longer and weaker so easily broken? Whereas the C-H bond will be stronger. Therefore i think 2 Br will be removed. But oh well, just a mark!
Reply 278
Medicine Man
yeah and isn't the C-Br bond longer and weaker so easily broken? Whereas the C-H bond will be stronger. Therefore i think 2 Br will be removed. But oh well, just a mark!

thank you exactly what i was thinking.
we shouldn't really dwell on this though.
i think they'll definitely accept ours (ethene) - its on the bloody specification no two ways about it!
and the ethyne one as ppl are suggesting too!
both seem right.
i asked my chem teacher and he automatically though ethene considering we've only done AS level chemistry and our knowledge isn't as advanced.
But whatever really!
it was a whole week ago - forget that question
A2 on the other hand looks tough so lets focus on that and our jan modules not what we've done already.
ok guys rant over!
lol

Latest

Trending

Trending