The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 280
Medicine Man
we shouldn't really dwell on this though.
i think they'll definitely accept ours (ethene) - its on the bloody specification no two ways about it!
and the ethyne one as ppl are suggesting too!
both seem right.
i asked my chem teacher and he automatically though ethene considering we've only done AS level chemistry and our knowledge isn't as advanced.
But whatever really!
it was a whole week ago - forget that question
A2 on the other hand looks tough so lets focus on that and our jan modules not what we've done already.
ok guys rant over!
lol

Good man, ive started teaching myself electrode potentials already, its a bit confusing o_O
yeah we've started with energetics - born haber process.
random defibitions like enthalpy of solution, hydration, atomisation, neutralisation, reaction, lattice..lots to know!
Reply 282
Oxy
Good man, ive started teaching myself electrode potentials already, its a bit confusing o_O

electrode potentials is unit 5
first go through the unit 4 stuff if u r starting A2!!
Reply 283
Medicine man, wouldn't bromoethane be one of the compound formed too? Considering the reaction might not go to completion..

I'm so glad i retook unit 2 this time..you guys will love the temperature and pressure condition for all the industrial processes..
Ah yes, temperature and pressure conditions. I remember I had 15 minutes between the Unit1 and Unit2 test to memorise all that.

You find it even better when you have to remember the colour of metal complexes. Enjoy!
~Adel~
Medicine man, wouldn't bromoethane be one of the compound formed too? Considering the reaction might not go to completion..

I'm so glad i retook unit 2 this time..you guys will love the temperature and pressure condition for all the industrial processes..

possibly - i'm not entrirely sure thats the thing. but our specification taught as that from a halogenoalkane to an alkene required enthanolic KOH. other posibilities could be possible too i suppose.
Reply 286
Is this still going on?

Didn't the past paper someone posted state the two possible answers were ethyne or bromoethene?

Thanks
Reply 287
Yeah but that was before the current syllabus. I've seen that paper before and it had all this Unit 4/5 stuff that I've never seen before.

Eitherway, the answer is bromoethene or ethene from what we agreed.
yep^^
second that
Anyone know if you can get low marks in one paper and still scrape an A overall?
Yeah, but you would need to do about 90% in the other papers in order to balance the marks out.
Reply 291
MimbleWimble, you could easily get an overall A if you've done well in the first few units. I only need about 113 marks altogether for my last two units in order to get an overall A so make sure you know your AS stuff!
Reply 292
fait
Yeah but that was before the current syllabus. I've seen that paper before and it had all this Unit 4/5 stuff that I've never seen before.

Eitherway, the answer is bromoethene or ethene from what we agreed.

it wasnt even an edexcel paper, but oh well i dunno why people are concvinced? it was an AQA paper for a number of reasons but anyway. Yes i know electrode potentials is in unit 5 but i was looking at transition metals out of interest and it talked about electrode potentials so i thought it be good if i taught myself :tongue:

@Adel the overall grade boundaries change so you can never have an exact number :tongue:
Reply 293
hey in unit 2 , 2nd page , what were the answers u pple wrote?? sorry I dont remember the question much...
what about the species being oxidised?
it was Cl2 to NaOCl
and Cl2 to NaCl
for part ii) it was (100/35.5)*24 = 67.6dm^3
mass/molar mass to find moles
then as 1 mole occupies 24dm^3 find out how many in 2.18moles which is 67.6dm^3
Reply 295
Medicine Man
it was Cl2 to NaOCl
and Cl2 to NaCl

they will also accept the ions OCL- and CL-
yep they should
Reply 297
Oxy
it wasnt even an edexcel paper, but oh well i dunno why people are concvinced? it was an AQA paper for a number of reasons but anyway. Yes i know electrode potentials is in unit 5 but i was looking at transition metals out of interest and it talked about electrode potentials so i thought it be good if i taught myself :tongue:

@Adel the overall grade boundaries change so you can never have an exact number :tongue:

What do you mean by ''overall grade boundary''? I was talking about the UMS..lol. I need 113 UMS score altogether for the last two units..
Reply 298
Medicine Man
it was Cl2 to NaOCl
and Cl2 to NaCl

No its was organic questions......ermm ... something about which reagents...the structures of 2 molecules were given ...
The question right after the first one where they asked about distinguishing between some functional groups shown in the structures.
Was it the free radical reaction of ethane with Bromine or something like that? I think that's what I recall...

Latest

Trending

Trending