The Student Room Group

FY1,2 and ST1 pay?

Hey, from Canada here, out of curiosity, what can a FY1 doc, FY2 doc and ST1 doc expect to make "all inclusive" a year and how many hours will they have to work to achieve that?
Have a look here https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/explore-roles/doctors/pay-doctors and here https://www.bma.org.uk/advice/employment/pay/juniors-pay-england
But keep in mind that junior doctors in Wales/Scotland are still on the old contract
The sources above are good, just thought I'd add this one from the BMA Tables of Pay which goes into a breakdown based on speciality and the hours worked.
Reply 3
Original post by tommyvercetti
The sources above are good, just thought I'd add this one from the BMA Tables of Pay which goes into a breakdown based on speciality and the hours worked.

Thanks for the info. Correct me if I'm wrong, lets say you work an average of 48 hours + 20 hours overtime would your yearly pay be 37583 + 2171 + 2714 for 1:2 weekends? Does 1:2 weekends mean you work the entire weekend every other weekend or does it mean you work 24 hours of the 48 hours?
Original post by Okorange
Thanks for the info. Correct me if I'm wrong, lets say you work an average of 48 hours + 20 hours overtime would your yearly pay be 37583 + 2171 + 2714 for 1:2 weekends? Does 1:2 weekends mean you work the entire weekend every other weekend or does it mean you work 24 hours of the 48 hours?

No not really.

So there isn't a space for "overtime" in the contract - that's considered separately via the Exception Reporting process (or just ignored in terms of things like audit work, exam preparation etc).

"Enhanced hours" - what you are referring to when you said 'overtime' - are included in the 48 hours. It basically means how many of that 48 hours are night shifts.

You included the 'NROC' payment - that means Non-Residential On Call. Next to no doctors at that grade would be doing that. I'm not entirely sure how those payments work but the rate of pay for being NROC is very very low I'm told - like £1 per hour or something (like I say, not sure).

Yes 1:2 weekends would mean you work the entire weekend every other weekend. Its not very common as far as I'm aware - mainly A&E. Again, those hours would count toward the 48 hours, so if you were working 13 hours per day every other weekend you'd only be scheduled to work ~35 hours in the week.

You asked about "all inclusive" real pay - in my experience something like 46 hours per week plus 1 in 4 to 5 weekends plus say 12 hours antisocial pay is probably more the 'norm', with significant variation.
Reply 5
Original post by nexttime
No not really.

So there isn't a space for "overtime" in the contract - that's considered separately via the Exception Reporting process (or just ignored in terms of things like audit work, exam preparation etc).

"Enhanced hours" - what you are referring to when you said 'overtime' - are included in the 48 hours. It basically means how many of that 48 hours are night shifts.

You included the 'NROC' payment - that means Non-Residential On Call. Next to no doctors at that grade would be doing that. I'm not entirely sure how those payments work but the rate of pay for being NROC is very very low I'm told - like £1 per hour or something (like I say, not sure).

Yes 1:2 weekends would mean you work the entire weekend every other weekend. Its not very common as far as I'm aware - mainly A&E. Again, those hours would count toward the 48 hours, so if you were working 13 hours per day every other weekend you'd only be scheduled to work ~35 hours in the week.

You asked about "all inclusive" real pay - in my experience something like 46 hours per week plus 1 in 4 to 5 weekends plus say 12 hours antisocial pay is probably more the 'norm', with significant variation.

Thanks, so approximately how much is the total before taxes pay per month if you assume one averages 46 hours per week plus 1 in 4 to 5 weekends plus 12 hours antisocial pay?

Also, when you say someone is working the entire weekend, do you mean they are literally in hospital for 48 hours straight? How does that work?
Original post by Okorange
Thanks, so approximately how much is the total before taxes pay per month if you assume one averages 46 hours per week plus 1 in 4 to 5 weekends plus 12 hours antisocial pay?

Also, when you say someone is working the entire weekend, do you mean they are literally in hospital for 48 hours straight? How does that work?

Well as per the tables of pay, you'd be getting about £36k for that as an FY1.

No you'd only be working day or nights, most commonly 12.5 or 13 hour shifts x2. What I meant to say was they were working both Saturday and Sunday. Working the whole 48 hours would only be possible factoring in NROC, which as I say, is very rare at this grade (i've never seen it).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending