The Student Room Group

Gcse dt nea contexts

Hi!

So, I've got these contextual challenges from the exam board for GCSE DT and it generally seems that you're like god when it comes to things like this :smile::smile:

This is what I've got:

"The role of the contextual challenge is to provide an external stimulus for learners, from which they will explore and clarify design problems and opportunities. This will lead to the development of their own design briefs, which will inform and direct their designing and making activities.
Learners will be assessed on their ability to analyse and respond to contexts, rather than their knowledge of specific contextual areas.
Learners are required to select one of the following contexts as the basis of their design and make task:
New product launch Produce a concept/prototype of a new product that incorporates the innovative use of smart/technical materials or innovative support material(s) for display at its launch.
Circular economy Design and make a creative and innovative product that has the circular economy as its primary design principle.
Space Consider and interpret the word ‘space’ and use it to redefine an area at work or at home.

The first one, I think won't be feasible since it's not possible to source the smart / technical materials that easily and plus it isn't clear but obviously still need some ideas for it eg electroluminescent materials and thermochromic etc.

The second one is good because we can choose any product (eg I'm into FENCING and I've got a DOG which are two of my hobbies) and just make sure that THOUGHOUT the design process we focus the design onto making sure its circular!

The third one is to basically redefine any space at home which is either currently unused or isn't being used very well

Any ideas to get me going will be really really really appreciated, you have no idea!!

Thank you so much!

Scroll to see replies

I think I was on a different exam board to you, but what I found helped to make a decision was make a mindmap for each of the contexts and see how you could expand each idea because it just has to link back to the context and there really is so much you can do for each. :smile:
Mines the circular economy one - we didn't get to choose it lmao our school chose it but oh well.
Yeah my teachers said the same about it - they chose it because you can make pretty much anything from it

When I first read the third one I immediately thought of like planets and stuff lmao oops

I haven't managed to find anyone on here who does this exam board and is in year 10 for DT so this is great lmao

We've done the first page which was a research page about what a circular economy actually is
(edited 4 years ago)
Make a mindmaps of the context and develop questions to that context which will give you problems and existing solutions to see what you can do and what wouldn’t be ideal. Once you get a good understanding of the context, you’ll have a better idea of the problems and you can start with new ideas and a target group, which will lead you to your client - you’ll need it for the entire course and they will be important to you so it’s good to keep this in mind. You can look at existing products to give you inspiration.
Reply 4
thanks for the great advice guys - could people elaborate a bit more / give some examples of how I personally might do the mind map thing?
Reply 5
what are other people making if they're doing the same context?
Reply 6
I just finished my DT GCSE AQA and got full marks, 100/100, if you want i can send you my coursework powerpoint.

It is important when making your powerpoint right from the start to ensure you have made a contents page and that you understand your key objective. You are going to be making a lot of changes to it and so presentation isnt essential initially, what is essential is that your writing is presented in a clear way that the examiner can understand and identify where to give you marks.

I would recommend doing a fair lot over summer so you don't have to do a lot next year whilst others will be stressing.

Goodluck
Original post by rxh4n
Original post by rxh4n
thanks for the great advice guys - could people elaborate a bit more / give some examples of how I personally might do the mind map thing?

For me I did 3 branches for the 3 contexts then I thought of questions which could be problems and see how limited the problem is and solutions is on one A3 page
Original post by itz_.vb
I just finished my DT GCSE AQA and got full marks, 100/100, if you want i can send you my coursework powerpoint.

It is important when making your powerpoint right from the start to ensure you have made a contents page and that you understand your key objective. You are going to be making a lot of changes to it and so presentation isnt essential initially, what is essential is that your writing is presented in a clear way that the examiner can understand and identify where to give you marks.

I would recommend doing a fair lot over summer so you don't have to do a lot next year whilst others will be stressing.

Goodluck

With this exam board we're meant to be doing most of it on paper, but do things like the production plan, evaluation, etc on a computer. (Theres an 'informal' section with research, designs, etc done on paper, or in a sketchbook, etc and then there's a 'formal' section that you produce on a computer with a plan, evaluation, photos, etc).
And at my school we're not allowed to do it outside of school, but this could just be my school :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by rxh4n

No idea - only got told the brief on Friday lmao. All I know is that I will probably make it out of wood or cardboard, as I can easily relate it back to the circular economy, i.e using recycled cardboard , wood from sustainable forests to minimise waste and impact to the environment. Or maybe have it be able to be taken apart when it is at the end of its life so that it can be recycled more easily, or make it so any individual parts can be replaced more easily so that the whole thing wouldn't need to be chucked away
Original post by rxh4n

Idk if this is what most people have done, but for my first page I did research on the circular economy (which is what my teacher told the class to have as the first page). I wrote about what it was, and had a diagram* on it where I labelled what each of the stages were and how they will relate to me when I am designing my prototype. i.e I need to make sure that the materials used come from a sustainable source/are recycled and why this is important. One of my friends also wrote about the linear economy, and how it is different.

*like this one
circulareconomy.jpg
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 10
thanks man - we'll keep each other posted as the year goes by?
Original post by Bill Nye
No idea - only got told the brief on Friday lmao. All I know is that I will probably make it out of wood or cardboard, as I can easily relate it back to the circular economy, i.e using recycled cardboard , wood from sustainable forests to minimise waste and impact to the environment. Or maybe have it be able to be taken apart when it is at the end of its life so that it can be recycled more easily, or make it so any individual parts can be replaced more easily so that the whole thing wouldn't need to be chucked away

Idk if this is what most people have done, but for my first page I did research on the circular economy (which is what my teacher told the class to have as the first page). I wrote about what it was, and had a diagram* on it where I labelled what each of the stages were and how they will relate to me when I am designing my prototype. i.e I need to make sure that the materials used come from a sustainable source/are recycled and why this is important. One of my friends also wrote about the linear economy, and how it is different.

*like this one
circulareconomy.jpg
Reply 11
Yes please!!
Original post by itz_.vb

Goodluck
Reply 12
If anyone is doing WJEC exam board - please could they send their nea stuff and ideas also !!!
Original post by rxh4n
Yes please!!
Original post by rxh4n
thanks man - we'll keep each other posted as the year goes by?

Yeah sure
Original post by rxh4n
If anyone is doing WJEC exam board - please could they send their nea stuff and ideas also !!!

Me too please? lmao
Reply 17
if you don't mind could you send your coursework to me? Please PM me
Are “support materials” the same as “modern materials”?
Reply 19
hi emily - are your doing WJEC? - i'll pm you

Latest