The Student Room Group

Last question on AQA Core 3

Find integral of 1/(1-4X^2)^(3/2), using the substitution X=1/2sin(u).

Just got the question in my exam, my answer was 1/2tan(Sin^(-1)(2X)). Which just seems a little odd, anybody know whether it’s right or not?

Picture should make it clearer.

Thanks
4800F904-E4CD-4639-9146-7AC5D82E22C0.jpg.jpeg
You're right but I think you need to convert it back to algebra form in the previous part of the question. I got the same answer but I realised after the exam that when you had to prove that sqrt(1-4x²)/2x=cot(u). You have to flip it.
Hopefully we'll get the marks because we're not technically wrong and we did what was asked
Original post by Connor09

Just got the question in my exam, my answer was 1/2tan(Sin^(-1)(2X)). Which just seems a little odd, anybody know whether it’s right or not?

Thanks
From what I remember, I think the answer would be X/sqrt(1-4x²)

Thanks
Reply 4
Ahh yeah, I kept looking at the previous part but couldn’t see the connection properly. As you said the answer was in terms or X so hopefully we’ll get all the marks, if not only 1 or 2 lost.
Did you get like pi [-(e^-1)-something(-e^-.5)-28) for the volume one?
Reply 6
Haha, glad someone else did, that was another answer I thought looked funny. Can’t remember the solution exactly but it looked very similar, a 28 term and two e terms raised to powers of -1 and -0.5 and of course the pi. So hopefully we got that right
Reply 7
Original post by Madethistohelp99
Did you get like pi [-(e^-1)-something(-e^-.5)-28) for the volume one?

Haha, glad someone else did, that was another answer I thought looked funny. Can’t remember the solution exactly but it looked very similar, a 28 term and two e terms raised to powers of -1 and -0.5 and of course the pi. So hopefully we got that right
Reply 8
does anyone know what the mark points will be for the 6 marker revolution q?

Also the mark points for the integral question??

Thanks
Reply 9
Original post by AldiiblA
does anyone know what the mark points will be for the 6 marker revolution q?

I’m not too sure tbh, I would guess:
Knowing to square y (1)
Correct y^2 (1)
Sub into formula (1)
Sub values in after integrating (1)
Then rearrange and final answer (2)
However I really have no idea.

And for the integral question, I did like a whole page of work so can’t really remember the steps, sorry.

Quick Reply

Latest