The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
First Year - alright social life. Could have been better, but managed approximately one heavy night of drinking every 1-2 weeks

Second Year - First semester - Was OK but I have a lot more commitments and work

Second Year - Second Semester - I have had 10 alcoholic beverages since Christmas. I have time to do Photosoc on Monday and the odd union committee the rest of the week. Everyone else can screw themselves. You ****ing Medics don't know the meaning of PAIN, You ****ing History Students don't know the meaning of work, You ****ing workers only do it 9-5 Monday - Friday, I do it 9 - 2am Mon - Fri and ******* loads on the weekend.

On top of that I have been working Friday and Saturday nights.

I have now finished my second year. It has been tough. I have wanted to do a lot of things but have not been able to do them. I am incredibly stressed out and feel let down by lecturers who occasionally performed incredible acts of vandalism to my life that Amnesty International would call torture. I am seriously considering ditching my job to keep on top of my work for third year. I have another small job to keep going on so I should be OK money wise.

I am not looking forward to my dissertation. I have thought about it, which is more than what a lot of students have done. However, I know it is a lot of work.

I feel that you need to be able to justify to yourself why you are doing engineering. If you cannot do that, you will crack.

Prepare for the work. Prepare to show a hard nosed attitude to those that are not doing the work (you will do a very large number of team courseworks especially in Civil Engineering) and don't accept anything you don't believe is right. Record everything that is done and if things are not right. Kick off.

You will become part of a close knit course especially in Civil. You will be able to recognise everyone on your course by the end of the first year.

And one last thing

Good Luck, you will need it when you are curled up on the floor.
Reply 2
Damn.. I was considering Civil...but sounds like a hassle..

Lmao.
bluenoxid
...I am seriously considering ditching my job to keep on top of my work for third year. I have another small job to keep going on so I should be OK money wise....

So you have two jobs in total?

To be honest if you try and have a job whilst doing a degree like engineering this is what you can expect.
thefish_uk
So you have two jobs in total?

To be honest if you try and have a job whilst doing a degree like engineering this is what you can expect.

Don't get a job full stop.
Reply 5
bluenoxid, just wondering, what did you get in your A levels?
Reply 6
B in Maths and Geography, C in General Studies and Physics and a D in Archaeology.

I do 9 hours a week for Morrisons and a casual role for the university. Morrisons is going to get ditched, it is just not worth the time it takes out of my life any more.

I think you can justify a job especially in your first year that is less than 10 hours per week, but ditch it at the end of the summer of that otherwise you will regret it.

Civil is bearable and the above post was a rant. I have not really been curled up on the floor (although I have had been in tears to the stage where if trains had been running that night, I would have been on the doorstep of my hours 150 miles away the next morning rather than sitting a Construction Materials Exam), but it will be tough. You will have to justify doing the course to yourself at points especially around the exam periods. We have also suffered some of the incompetencies that run from being the first year through a new system, which has done well but there are still errors with it. Major errors with it and it has been the students that have suffered.

Be prepared to be brutal on your engineering course. If people are not performing, tell the module tutor. You are doing them a favour in the long run.

I am looking forward to a quiet summer. I have a few things planned and a small operation on my left eye to get sorted.
Reply 7
Your rant damaged by intentions of going back to the U.K to study. Was considering doing civil eng/construction management at Leeds, since there is not many 'good' uni's that offer a pure construction course...unless I go to Sydney/Melbourne which I would rather not do.. :frown:

Damn the decision making!
Reply 8
If you are that easily put off then go for stacking shelves. It will save yourself a lot of effort.

If you can up route yourself to the other side of the world and apply yourself to your course, you will laugh your way to a Civil Engineering degree.

Just don't get any termtime jobs
Reply 9
hows about electrical engineering
and also which degrees have the best social life
so far it seems Law and Medics seems like a social suicide lol
Reply 10
I love electrical engineering, extremely heavy maths though.
Reply 11
im aiming to be a medic, and a survey recently found out that medics get the most action bedroom wise of all students

sounds like a perk not social suicide :wink:
Reply 12
bean87
im aiming to be a medic, and a survey recently found out that medics get the most action bedroom wise of all students

sounds like a perk not social suicide :wink:

saying "a survey recently found" is like says "my grans dads cousins brother says". Its such a relative matter.
Reply 13
^^ Nice

With the maths for EEE, what sort of mahts are we talking about in the first year? Much harder than FM or much much harder?
jackbourne
^^ Nice

With the maths for EEE, what sort of mahts are we talking about in the first year? Much harder than FM or much much harder?

Of course it will be harder at least at all decent universities. How can you even begin to think that it will be even remotely at the same level as FM? It is engineering! You will be ****ed over by the amount and difficulty of the maths - which is good, one should like maths when doing engineering.
Reply 15
Master Polhem
Of course it will be harder at least at all decent universities. How can you even begin to think that it will be even remotely at the same level as FM? It is engineering! You will be ****ed over by the amount and difficulty of the maths - which is good, one should like maths when doing engineering.

He never suggested it would be at the same level.
Yes the maths was challenging but one of the easiest to do well in I found.

These are the syllabus's for the topics I covered in first year maths:
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/syllabus/MATH1013.html
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/syllabus/MATH1017.html
Reply 16
bluenoxid
If you are that easily put off then go for stacking shelves. It will save yourself a lot of effort.

If you can up route yourself to the other side of the world and apply yourself to your course, you will laugh your way to a Civil Engineering degree.

Just don't get any termtime jobs

I am more worrier about the maths than anything else to be honest... :frown:
Law, work, yeah whatever.

I didnt find the Maths too bad in all honesty. EEE do have it a little harder than Chemical and Civil, but it is not too bad. Just as long as you keep on top of it. That is the key. Keeping on top of it.

Medics get the best action. But after seeing some of the places where they get action, it makes me want to throw up :biggrin: Rumours have it that some will screw anything with a pulse or remotely looks like it has a pulse :smile:
Reply 18
must be too release all the stress off their workload lol
bluenoxid
First Year - alright social life. Could have been better, but managed approximately one heavy night of drinking every 1-2 weeks

Second Year - First semester - Was OK but I have a lot more commitments and work

Second Year - Second Semester - I have had 10 alcoholic beverages since Christmas. I have time to do Photosoc on Monday and the odd union committee the rest of the week. Everyone else can screw themselves. You ****ing Medics don't know the meaning of PAIN, You ****ing History Students don't know the meaning of work, You ****ing workers only do it 9-5 Monday - Friday, I do it 9 - 2am Mon - Fri and ******* loads on the weekend.

On top of that I have been working Friday and Saturday nights.

I have now finished my second year. It has been tough. I have wanted to do a lot of things but have not been able to do them. I am incredibly stressed out and feel let down by lecturers who occasionally performed incredible acts of vandalism to my life that Amnesty International would call torture. I am seriously considering ditching my job to keep on top of my work for third year. I have another small job to keep going on so I should be OK money wise.

I am not looking forward to my dissertation. I have thought about it, which is more than what a lot of students have done. However, I know it is a lot of work.

I feel that you need to be able to justify to yourself why you are doing engineering. If you cannot do that, you will crack.

Prepare for the work. Prepare to show a hard nosed attitude to those that are not doing the work (you will do a very large number of team courseworks especially in Civil Engineering) and don't accept anything you don't believe is right. Record everything that is done and if things are not right. Kick off.

You will become part of a close knit course especially in Civil. You will be able to recognise everyone on your course by the end of the first year.

And one last thing

Good Luck, you will need it when you are curled up on the floor.

oh, oh so true. wise words, engineering is deffo like that, lecturers are ridiculously bad at teaching, you have to put a lot of work in. ah, the good ol' days:smile:

Latest