The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

bath university

Hi I am currently choosing my uni options and i was wondering whether anyone had any feedback on how they found engineering at bath uni?
Hello there anon,

Thanks for your post - apologies for the late reply!

We're thrilled to hear you're interested in engineering at Bath - are you thinking of any particular courses (MechEng/Electronic/Civil etc?). I am a former Bath student and graduated a couple of years ago - I did not study engineering but I'll help if I can!

What I would say is that whichever Engineering course you choose, Bath is one of the top choices in the UK for the subject area and the faculty of engineering in my experience is really friendly, with so much going on alongside the teaching! There are loads of opportunities to get involved and gain engineering experience besides your course. For example, besides teaching the lecturers are also actively engaged in world-leading research into their subject areas for example the Centre for Digital, Manufacturing and Design and the Centre for Sustainable Energy Systems are both campus-based, and lecturers are always really pleased when students express an interest in their work and are often more than happy to get you involved.

As a student you can also join in with Team Bath Racing Electric or Team Bath Drones - both of which are involved in high-profile competitions each year and we even have Team Bath Heart whose speciality is designing and manufacturing artificial hearts. You can be from any year at university to join most of these teams from almost any engineering course you don’t have to be an expert at all, just interested in learning more.

One thing which is great about the Mechanical Engineering degree is that it is really flexible. So although there are 5 different degrees (which you can find out about here!) you learn a mixture of modules in your first year and second year to allow you to transfer to any of the 5 up to the end of year 2. This is a great way to find your feet and explore what kind of engineering suits your interest and aspirations best. There are also options to study a BEng, or an MEng which are a year longer where you complete a long-term project; and the chance to do an industry placement, which is so valuable for your CV and a lot of fun too 😊

Whilst I can’t give you any personal experience of being an Engineering student at Bath, we have ambassadors on Unibuddy from the faculty who are all super-friendly and happy to chat to you and answer any questions you have. You could also get in touch with the department itself (you can find contact addresses at the bottom of the pages here) and as always feel free to post any more questions on here!

I hope that helps very best of luck in your next steps 😊

Holly
University of Bath
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Quick Reply

Latest