The Student Room Group

Are my predicted grades good enough for oxford maths?

solved
(edited 4 years ago)
That is quite strong grade wise and I’m pretty sure they are good enough for Oxford. But you have to remember that although your grades are a factor, there are other things also like personal statement etc. There are these things Oxbridge like called “super-curriculars” where you just participate in stuff to do with your subject to show your dedication and passion for your subject etc, I don’t really know an example but I hope this helped.
Reply 2
You have A*s in the right subjects but MAT score and interview performance are what's important. If you get an offer it'll be for 2 A*s and an A, most likely.
Hola name name name,

Yes, you should apply with those grades if you wish to aim for a place at Oxford.

Brasenose Admissions

Original post by name name
Hi,
I am an international student in a British school who is applying for maths (2020 entry). Currently my predicted grades are

Maths & FM : A*
Chemistry & Physics : A (for physics I've got high mark enough for A* but the teacher said he won't give anyone A* for AS unless someone really wants it.)

Are these predicted grades satisfying the oxford maths standard or average? I'm really worried that they'd reject me although I believe I can get 4 A* at the end but my predicted grades are not that.

I also have 9 and A* GCSE maths and further maths (and decent grades for other 8 subjects), have been getting minimum gold award in UKMT for past 4 years. I am curious if this sounds good enough for oxford. In addition, is there anything else that I need to focus on other than interview preparation and MAT test?
Thank you for your advice.
Original post by name name
I am literally going full schizophrenia mode because of 2 A's. Do predicted grades need to be 3 or 4 A* like the typical successful applicants? Will I have significantly less chance of being accepted in even first round compared to other applicants with similar p. statement + MAT test score?
Attachment not found

If the answer from the Basenose Admissions team doesn't satisfy you, you could browse the Freedom Of Information responses to see what the statistics for offers tell you in detail. Just as an example, this one https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/maths_g100_course_applicant_info#incoming-1254565 indicates that for G100 in 2016 and 2017, 102 candidates secured an offer with just 3 A levels in total, compared with 199 who had 4 or more.

If you are experiencing severe mental health difficulties, do contact your GP, or mental health crisis team.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending