The Student Room Group

A-Levels for MML!

Please help!!

I have just finished my GCSEs and I am currently choosing my A-Levels. My goal is to study MML at Jesus College and I don't know which combination will be stronger... any advice would be extremely welcome!!!

Firstly I would like to study Spanish, that's a definite, as a language is required.

Then I could potentially take Italian Ab Initio A-Level, which is really exciting to me and gives me another language. Does doing two language A-Levels improve my application or hinder it? I certainly would find it more enjoyable...

I would also like to take English Language, which I find very interesting. Many people however, have told me that English Literature is a better choice for MML applications. Do colleges really place that much emphasis on this? I could definitely read foreign literature outside of a-level or take an EPQ in an aspect of literature? Do you think it would be worth it?

If I didn't do Italian Ab Initio A-Level I could do History as well as Eng Lang. and Spanish...

Ideally I would like to take 3 A-Levels, in order to focus on them, and get better grades, with a possible EPQ if that would improve my application significantly.

Which combo would you advise? Any other advice regarding MML would also be brilliant!! Thank you immensely, in advance, for your time! :smile:)
Hi, MML offer holder for Jesus this year here :smile: If you're really interested in studying Italian, aside from taking it ab initio at A-Level you could always apply for Spanish and Italian from scratch at uni and continue with a different A-Level (like English or History as you mentioned) as you're not expected to have extensive experience with a second language as long as you demonstrate your interest and engagement - but if you think Italian is something you'd enjoy at A-Level and think you could achieve a top grade then why not? Although I'm not sure how the interview process would work in terms of comparison to either Italian A Level candidates with GCSE/other experience or Italian ab initio degree candidates if that makes sense, so that could be something to look into!

I took English Lit at A-Level alongside French and Spanish and did feel like it helped me massively in terms of the essay writing skills needed for a language at A-Level, and often teachers would mention how they could tell I took an essay subject (History is probably just as useful!) in my literary/film essays. On the other hand English Language is probably really beneficial for the linguistic side of the course so as long as you emphasise the connection to an MML degree I think both would support your application! English Lit does have a reputation as a particularly 'academic' subject but what matters most is that you enjoy what you're doing and can get the best grade possible, so if you prefer the look of Language then go for it :smile: Hope that helps a bit haha x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending