The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ursbhhdb
What kind of deciles do you need to be at for London/ other competitive locations?

Well, UCLan was the most competitive med school last year. It does not use an admissions test. Then KMMS who contextualised all their admissions, so impossible to say. Then probably Nottingham, where a sub-600 UCAT would get an interview with top GCSEs and SJT. Then perhaps BMMS, who use BMAT; Aberdeen, who say UCATs around 600 can get an interview; Bristol, who needed around 675 this year; ARU with a UCAT around 620.

Imperial uses BMAT and needs about an average mark. UCL also use BMAT but use PS, too, so harder to say, probably slightly lower than UCL. Kings usually requires a UCAT of around 650 upwards, if you have good GCSEs and Barts give the lowest UCAT they interviewed last year as 2300.

So it is impossible to say, it varies from med school to med school and depends on your other stats
What kind of deciles do you need to be at for London/ other competitive locations?

Honestly this isn't something you need to worry about at this level. Going into med school I had the same mentality, but trust in the fact that med school is harder than expected and your plans for deciles go out the window. Combined with the fact that you don't end up receiving your deciles until the start of second year, it's something that you don't need to think about for a while.

Additionally, deciles are only a part of your application - so even if your deciles aren't going well, you can always boost your application in other ways.
Original post by a-aron
Honestly this isn't something you need to worry about at this level. Going into med school I had the same mentality, but trust in the fact that med school is harder than expected and your plans for deciles go out the window. Combined with the fact that you don't end up receiving your deciles until the start of second year, it's something that you don't need to think about for a while.

Additionally, deciles are only a part of your application - so even if your deciles aren't going well, you can always boost your application in other ways.

Would you say the content itself is challenging or is it the amount of it?
How many hours do people spend studying and do you have a decent social life? Do you have to frequently write essays? Do assignments take up most of your time or learning content?
Would you say the content itself is challenging or is it the amount of it?

For the most part the content is fairly straightforward, with a few exceptions (i.e. renal physiology and the maths that it involves). The main issue is volume of content. There's tons and tons to remember and integrate, and that is what makes med school difficult.
How many hours do people spend studying and do you have a decent social life? Do you have to frequently write essays? Do assignments take up most of your time or learning content?

It's definitely possible to maintain a decent social life - Bham has a huge MedSoc with tons and tons of societies for almost every interest, and if not in MedSoc you'll definitely be able to find something in the main university's societies. Personally, I worked really hard during the day and then only spent an hour or two working in the evenings, but then would spend most of the weekend working. Exam times are obviously different, and I would spend a good couple of weeks studying pretty intensely. The amount of studying is different for every person, so try to avoid comparing yourself to others - just see what works for you.

Bham gives us around 1 big essay a year, which contributes towards your final mark in the year. They are pretty big projects, and you work on them throughout the year.

There aren't really assignments per se - nothing is mandatory. However, there is preparatory work that you are advised to do before teaching sessions. Obviously it isn't mandatory, but you gain much more from the teaching sessions when you actually prepare ahead of time. The learning in med school is very self-driven - the uni isn't going to nitpick on every detail. Therefore, you have to be pretty motivated, and how well you do ultimately depends on how much effort you put into studying.
Original post by a-aron
Personally, I worked really hard during the day and then only spent an hour or two working in the evenings, but then would spend most of the weekend working.

how did you do this? arent lectures from mornings till the afternoons?
Original post by why123456
how did you do this? arent lectures from mornings till the afternoons?

For the most part, lectures aren't back to back the entire day. It's more common to have back to back lectures all morning or all afternoon, but rarely both. Therefore, most days you will have an hour or two free time - some people use this just to chat, but I preferred using it to work so that I could relax at home instead.
Original post by a-aron

I’m not sure whether the OP is talking about the deciles within Birmingham med school or the deciles for the UKCAT (which is what I think they are referring to!) As I think it is the latter, I will say again that there are no top universities for medicine - all degrees are equal as they are all overseen by the GMC.
Original post by Simbasoul
I’m not sure whether the OP is talking about the deciles within Birmingham med school or the deciles for the UKCAT (which is what I think they are referring to!) As I think it is the latter, I will say again that there are no top universities for medicine - all degrees are equal as they are all overseen by the GMC.

Oh! I thought they were discussing deciles for foundation program applications, but your interpretation makes more sense!
Original post by a-aron
For the most part, lectures aren't back to back the entire day. It's more common to have back to back lectures all morning or all afternoon, but rarely both. Therefore, most days you will have an hour or two free time - some people use this just to chat, but I preferred using it to work so that I could relax at home instead.

thanks, but wouldn't the breaks be when you're supposed to have lunch? did you just work through your lunch break and not eat
Original post by why123456
thanks, but wouldn't the breaks be when you're supposed to have lunch? did you just work through your lunch break and not eat

There are usually multiple breaks a day, so I usually used one for lunch and the others for working.
Original post by a-aron
Oh! I thought they were discussing deciles for foundation program applications, but your interpretation makes more sense!

Sorry for the confusion, was talking about junior doctor applications
Sorry for the confusion, was talking about junior doctor applications

In that case, @a-aron is correct - try not to think about that too much - I think in Birmingham they only give them out once a year and, reality is, most students might feel disappointed having always been the top of their small pool at school.
do students not burn out
do students not burn out

Some will, some won’t. One of the things you may have been asked at interview is what things do you do Outside of Medicine - the reason for this is that Medicine can be all consuming and you HAVE to have an outlet or two. It would be a foolish student who didn’t fully embrace the university experience alongside their academia - Medicine is all about balance - you must learn to balance study alongside life.
Original post by GANFYD
Presumably they join in 3rd year? Or do they do lectures etc with the 1st and 2nd years?

Yeah that's right pretty much :smile: I think they did a couple of lectures with us when we were in 2nd year (GEC year 1) but really not many, most of what they do is together and PBL style. They first joined us for clinical placements in 3rd year

Id check the medic portal as that lists all the different places you should apply based on your scores.
Birmingham have released the cut off information and their UCAT deciles for this application cycle. There were 2827 home applicants which was up about 1000 from the previous year, probably explaining the increased cut off scores of 8.56 for non contextual applicants and 7.03 for contextuals.

https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/Documents/college-mds/medical-school/Application-Statistics-Medicine.pdf

https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/schools/medical-school/applying-to-medicine/selection-for-interview.aspx

They have also amended their scoring system, incorporating contextual school and Polar information into the shortlisting process, so it is going to be difficult for 2021 applicants to accurately use historical cut off scores to help gauge their chance of shortlisting. @GANFYD
Original post by Laycity
Birmingham have released the cut off information and their UCAT deciles for this application cycle. There were 2827 home applicants which was up about 1000 from the previous year, probably explaining the increased cut off scores of 8.56 for non contextual applicants and 7.03 for contextuals.

https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/Documents/college-mds/medical-school/Application-Statistics-Medicine.pdf

https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/schools/medical-school/applying-to-medicine/selection-for-interview.aspx

They have also amended their scoring system, incorporating contextual school and Polar information into the shortlisting process, so it is going to be difficult for 2021 applicants to accurately use historical cut off scores to help gauge their chance of shortlisting. @GANFYD

I saw that, thanks.
What we have previously done in this situation is worked out what they would have scored in previous years under the old system and used that as an approximation for this year, as it is likely to be a similar cohort applying. This is how we worked it for Leicester and Nottingham when they changed things, and it was fairly accurate.

I am guessing the publicisation of the large contextual list for Birmingham has increased the number of contextual applicants and they want to find a better way of discriminating between them.

I am struggling to work out what the new scoring will do to shortlisting numbers of contextual applicants, as those from POLAR quintile 5 and 4 are actually unlikely to even make up the gap there has been in contextual to standard cut offs in previous years (which has been around 1.5).

My brain hurts tonight and I have to entertain the father of my children with our offspring. It is one for @meddad, who was always the stats man! Though hopefully meddaughter is ensuring he is a King for the evening!

Latest

Trending

Trending