The Student Room Group

Glasgow A100 2020 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AfricanDream
So true!! The suspense is killer, where else did you apply?

St Andrews, St George's and Manchester with my 5th choice Neuroscience at Edinburgh. You?
Original post by blue.stripes
St Andrews, St George's and Manchester with my 5th choice Neuroscience at Edinburgh. You?

I applied to Medicine at Glasgow and Edinburgh and then second year entry into Anatomy at Glasgow which I already received an offer for in October. I wanted to use my 2 remaining choices to apply to other medical schools, however, I am in a bit of an odd position. I had to apply as an international student as even though I have lived in Scotland for over 4 years now and did Scottish Highers and Advanced Highers I can only apply for indefinite leave to remain and citizenship (my father is a British citizen but wasn't born in the UK, my grandfather was from Aberdeen) with priority towards the end of May 2020. I contacted some universities to see if it was possible for me to apply this year as an international student and then if I receive and accept an offer, change to a home student before registration and the start date- Glasgow seemed positive and Edinburgh said they would have to reassess my application and I could potentially lose my place, however, it could be possible. St Andrews admissions said it would be highly likely that I would either be stuck as an international student or lose my place completely as their quota is usually filled. So I decided to only apply to Glasgow and Edinburgh this year and fingers crossed I get in.
Awww that’s a shame, are you a school leaver? X

I applied to Medicine at Glasgow and Edinburgh and then second year entry into Anatomy at Glasgow which I already received an offer for in October. I wanted to use my 2 remaining choices to apply to other medical schools, however, I am in a bit of an odd position. I had to apply as an international student as even though I have lived in Scotland for over 4 years now and did Scottish Highers and Advanced Highers I can only apply for indefinite leave to remain and citizenship (my father is a British citizen but wasn't born in the UK, my grandfather was from Aberdeen) with priority towards the end of May 2020. I contacted some universities to see if it was possible for me to apply this year as an international student and then if I receive and accept an offer, change to a home student before registration and the start date- Glasgow seemed positive and Edinburgh said they would have to reassess my application and I could potentially lose my place, however, it could be possible. St Andrews admissions said it would be highly likely that I would either be stuck as an international student or lose my place completely as their quota is usually filled. So I decided to only apply to Glasgow and Edinburgh this year and fingers crossed I get in.
Reply 123
Last year, I got my interview on 21st November! The interviews in December are on the week commencing the 10th this year (was the 9th last year), so I’m expecting you all to get notified around that period!
Reply 124
I’m glad you all applied to Glasgow!! It’s a fantastic medical school, the facilities and the general vibe of the place is very positive! The best thing about the medical school is the staff, who will always do everything to ensure you receive the best possible medical education! The jump from Scottish school leaver to undergrad medicine is huge, but if you’re willing to put in the work everyday then you should be fine!

Best of luck in your applications guys!
Original post by S_x_x
I’m glad you all applied to Glasgow!! It’s a fantastic medical school, the facilities and the general vibe of the place is very positive! The best thing about the medical school is the staff, who will always do everything to ensure you receive the best possible medical education! The jump from Scottish school leaver to undergrad medicine is huge, but if you’re willing to put in the work everyday then you should be fine!

Best of luck in your applications guys!

Hey, thats really nice of you:smile: how did you find the interview at Glasgow?
Original post by lois_____
Awww that’s a shame, are you a school leaver? X

I actually finished in 2018, but couldn't apply because of my status. I would have been looking at paying e.g.45000 pounds per year for tuition alone at Glasgow as an international. Since leaving school, I have gotten more medical work experience, done some different volunteering and actually have been busy with a research internship in the field of intellectual disabilities which I have really enjoyed.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 127
Original post by lois_____
Hey, thats really nice of you:smile: how did you find the interview at Glasgow?

The interview, I felt, didn’t go too well... the first panel was the generic ‘why medicine, why Glasgow?’ Was tough, and I felt the interviewees were unimpressed. However, the ethics panel was one of the best interviews I had out of all at the other medical schools. The room at the royal infirmary was very noisy too, making it sometimes difficult to hear what they were saying.
Original post by S_x_x
The interview, I felt, didn’t go too well... the first panel was the generic ‘why medicine, why Glasgow?’ Was tough, and I felt the interviewees were unimpressed. However, the ethics panel was one of the best interviews I had out of all at the other medical schools. The room at the royal infirmary was very noisy too, making it sometimes difficult to hear what they were saying.

Congrats for getting in!! I was wondering what resources you used to prepare for your interview, books, websites, etc? Is there anything that in hindsight you would recommend doing? That sounds like a bit of a nightmare for interview, a busy, noisy room. Roughly how many people were in the room getting interviewed at the same time and how big was the room?

I was also wondering what part of the medical curriculum at Glasgow do you enjoy the most?

Thanks!xx
Reply 129
Congrats for getting in!! I was wondering what resources you used to prepare for your interview, books, websites, etc? Is there anything that in hindsight you would recommend doing? That sounds like a bit of a nightmare for interview, a busy, noisy room. Roughly how many people were in the room getting interviewed at the same time and how big was the room?

I was also wondering what part of the medical curriculum at Glasgow do you enjoy the most?

Thanks!xx

Hey!
I used the ISC medical interview book, I think it’s good for the general type questions that they ask at interview. It’s a panel interview, so they will ask your basic ‘why medicine?’ Type questions, so I’d definitely recommend looking over them and knowing what you’d like to say. Non verbal communication is more important than what you say!! Be sure to look engaged, interested, and confident! The interviewers are there to assess how good a doctor your would make in the future, so a big part of that is your non verbal communication!!

The room is quite noisy, but if your focussed on your interview, you won’t even notice it! It took me until the end to have a look and see just how big the room is!

Two take away points: practice those general questions, and maintain good non-verbal communication!

Good luck!!
Anyone knows when should we be expecting invitations for interviews?
Reply 131
Original post by celine ng

Next week sometime, I think Wednesday
Original post by S_x_x

Thank U for the info :smile:
Original post by celine ng

how did you find out ?
Original post by S_x_x

how do you know?
My friends who applied a while ago (2019 Entry) heard by the 27th
May a home student can ring the admission office and inform the rest of us? Thanks...
will we hear back by the end of the month? i’m quite nervous...
Original post by desperateintl
will we hear back by the end of the month? i’m quite nervous...

There's literally no point...I've alr given up on glasgow
Original post by metalmay
There's literally no point...I've alr given up on glasgow

lmaoooo i’m an international so same, i wonder what their UCAT threshold is for this year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending