The Student Room Group

Should shows like Love Island be banned?

I think the shows like Love Island should be banned. First it gives unrealistic standard of body shape to viewers and the main message of the show is, if you look good it’s all good but if you’re average looking or ugly then go **** yourself. Secondly, last year two former contestants of this show killed themselves which shows that the show is not serious about the mental well-being of the contestants after the show and thirdly, almost all the contestants before coming to the show are borderline celebs even before they come to show and normal viewers keep on wondering that they are common people like them
no
No
So contestants killing themselves after the show or getting panic attacks is not enough of a reason to cancel this show but your Twitter TL is?
Reply 4
no, but shouts like this should be
Reply 5
depends, if the audience wants people to suffer, or drama (which makes suffering inevitable imo) then yes. but when there is a healthy society that enjoys normal conversation and pleasant interactions, then it can be allowed again. i would say yes.
Screenshot 2019-07-04 at 01.20.49.png

thank me later

also yes OP, the show is trash but nah, people like it, let them watch it
"kpop" another thing to add to the list, thank u
Holy crap I've just seen what this is - lol it's like a chav version of big brother.
Reply 9
Yeah, I agree.
Original post by joe goldberg
I think the shows like Love Island should be banned. First it gives unrealistic standard of body shape to viewers and the main message of the show is, if you look good it’s all good but if you’re average looking or ugly then go **** yourself. Secondly, last year two former contestants of this show killed themselves which shows that the show is not serious about the mental well-being of the contestants after the show and thirdly, almost all the contestants before coming to the show are borderline celebs even before they come to show and normal viewers keep on wondering that they are common people like them
Yes
No
1.Unrealistic body standards, meh I guess. But everyone knows that these people on the show have been chosen purely based on looks and that most people aren't like that, hence the uproar. How can it give that message? I don't understand how it says if you are average or ugly you should go whatever. People want to watch good looking people on TV crack on, there would be less viewers otherwise. Nowhere does it say that anyone below good looking doesn't meet standards and as such can't find someone
2. You are ignoring the fact (at least in the case of Mike) that he went on to more reality TV shows, it's not necessarily love islands fault as to what happened. Maybe more could've been done but I doubt love island was the sole reason for the events that took place
3. Yeah there has been a few influencers, but there are also some more normal people (fireman, beauty therapist, scientist, air hostess). There is variety, they could do to mix it up a little more and add a few more 'normal' people, but the whole original line up was basically normal (bar tommy and curtis)
they should replace the Jeremy Kyle show with JK Island Dreams.... where 20 of JKs guests are marooned on an island for 6 months with only a rusty container of crisps and lager.

Quick Reply

Latest