The Student Room Group

The Guardian league table should be banned as it is misleading to students

According to The Guardian league table the University for The Creative Arts which will take you with 112 UCAS points is better than LSE! (A*AA- AAB)

This is ridiculous and extremely misleading to students, which will lead to a lot of poor decisions, hence it should be banned.

Scroll to see replies

If you bother to actually read how all the league tables mark/weight their scores then you’d realise that the guardian table is based mainly on student satisfaction
To be fair UCA probably is better at teaching. LSE is not good at teaching.

Just because a league table isn’t measuring what you think it is doesn’t mean it should be banned.
I think you are mistaken, UCA isn't in the Guardian League Table and LSE is 15th.
Original post by TheKinkyChinky98
If you bother to actually read how all the league tables mark/weight their scores then you’d realise that the guardian table is based mainly on student satisfaction

The guardian has a much lower and narrower weighting on student satisfaction than the Times or Complete rankings. Particularly within the subject rankings.

LSE is terrible at meeting the basic requirements asked about in the NSS though.
Original post by OhGod
According to The Guardian league table the University for The Creative Arts which will take you with 112 UCAS points is better than LSE! (A*AA- AAB)

This is ridiculous and extremely misleading to students, which will lead to a lot of poor decisions, hence it should be banned.

Yeah, ban this, ban that.

Why not get all students to read about the methodology of each table, and ask them to come to a judgement as to which table(s) are more/less relevant to their own requirements...
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 6
Can we ban you for being thick?

:troll:
Remove ”league tables” and ”to students” and you're on the money.
Reply 8
I have a friend who is going to Warwick (ABB) even though she has three A’s (grades needed to get into Oxbridge) because she thinks it’s better due to this league table. It’s examples like this that prove why it should be banned.
Original post by OhGod
I have a friend who is going to Warwick (ABB) even though she has three A’s (grades needed to get into Oxbridge) because she thinks it’s better due to this league table. It’s examples like this that prove why it should be banned.

I’d say that just proves that AAA doesn’t indicate any common sense or critical reasoning skills.
What about freedom of the press?
Reply 11
Original post by PQ
I’d say that just proves that AAA doesn’t indicate any common sense or critical reasoning skills

It is for History of art, which isn’t the most academic of subjects, so I suppose that’s okay?
Original post by OhGod
It is for History of art, which isn’t the most academic of subjects, so I suppose that’s okay?

I think I’d choose Warwick over oxford tbh especially for history of art (the Oxford course is very traditional/old fashioned). There’s no point in choosing an environment that you’d be unhappy or a course content/structure that you dislike because of “prestige”.
Edit: I’d pick Edinburgh over any of them though:wink:

And AAA doesn’t mean that your friend would get an offer.
(edited 4 years ago)
Everyone told me I should apply to Cambridge for medicine but after looking at the course I decided not to and am now at Aberdeen. Having spoken to people who are doing medicine at Cambridge I am very glad I did what I did - the course at Cambridge seems very backwards and NSS put student satisfaction at around 70% compared to 98% at Aberdeen. I am not surprised that Aberdeen is now above Cambridge in rankings for medicine. I am happier than my friends at Cambridge. Just because somewhere gets a 'good name' it doesn't mean it is a good university.
(edited 4 years ago)
Hello lilacdolphin,
I am glad you are enjoying your studies at Aberdeen! I wish you well in your studies and after you graduate.
Original post by lilacdolphin
Everyone told me I should apply to Cambridge for medicine but after looking at the course I decided not to and am now at Aberdeen. Having spoken to people who are doing medicine at Cambridge I am very glad I did what I did - the course at Cambridge seems very backwards and NSS put student satisfaction at around 70% compared to 98% at Aberdeen. I am not surprised that Aberdeen is now above Cambridge in rankings for medicine. I am happier than my friends at Cambridge. Just because somewhere gets a 'good name' it doesn't mean it is a good university.
Reply 15
Original post by PQ
I’d say that just proves that AAA doesn’t indicate any common sense or critical reasoning skills.

I don’t understand what you mean by this.
Original post by lilacdolphin

In all fairness it doesn’t matter where you go to university of you do medicine because you’re guaranteed a job. The only thing that is affecting your decision is how much you’ll enjoy the course.
Reply 16
I can't imagine any scenario where someone is choosing between UCA and LSE.
Okay it is a weird thing to see, but the "overall" tables really aren't useful at all anyway - how the university fares for the chosen subject matters more.
Original post by OhGod
I don’t understand what you mean by this.

They mean that your friend is thick for basing the decision solely on league tables
Original post by OhGod

Most, if not all, Cambridge courses require A*AA at the minimum. It's only a few Oxford courses that require that, so those aren't actually the grades needed to get into Oxbridge, just a few courses at Oxford.

Also, it's your friend's fault for not reading about the methodology behind the table.
(edited 4 years ago)
I want you to ask yourself this…
Reply 19
Original post by Sinnoh

They mean that your friend is thick for basing the decision solely on league tables

He went and visited all of them! He definitely didn’t just base it on league tables

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending