The Student Room Group

Autism And Driving - Really Stressful

I have Autism and have recently started to learn to drive. I'll admit I tend to overthink everything and beat myself up if I make a mistake, even though I've only been driving for 6 hours so far. Still debating between Manual and Automatic still as well.

So far I've had 4 Driving lessons but our baby is due to be born in 5 weeks and I can't focus on both so I've decided to pause learning to drive until after the baby is born....I've been told its a shame by friends because I was doing well but I'll get back into it but I can't focus properly on learning to drive when one of the most important days of my life is just a few weeks away!

They think It'll take a long time before I get back into driving but if I had to stop once the baby was born anyway, what's the difference? I just want to focus on getting everything ready in time for the birth of the baby and once things have settled, go back to driving.
I think its a sensible decision! If you need to focus your attention on the baby for now and driving would take away from that, then stopping driving is sensible. Have you passed your theory test yet? Perhaps you could use this time to do some work towards that (then you're still partially thinking about driving, but in a less stressful and less time consuming way!) It would then be helpful when you go back to driving lessons as you'll have the knowledge and potentially have passed the test ready for your practical!

Whatever you choose to do, good luck with baby and good luck for continuing to drive in the future!

Quick Reply

Latest