The Student Room Group

Which language should I choose for ab initio

I'm currently studying French at A level and I would like to study it with a new language in university. I'm stuck between taking up German or Italian at ab initio. I feel I would be more interested in studying German literature and history, but less academically I prefer Italy's culture and people. German has approx 64 million more speakers than Italian, but is of course harder to learn! I'm very stuck, would love to hear your opinions.
(edited 4 years ago)
Italian
My friends do German a level and they say it is awful and there’s too much grammar and everything
Original post by MattyFL8
I'm currently studying French at A level and I would like to study it with a new language in university. I'm stuck between taking up German or Italian at ab initio. I feel I would be more interested in studying German literature and history, but less academically I prefer Italy's culture and people. German has approx 64 million more speakers than Italian, but is of course harder to learn! I'm very stuck, would love to hear your opinions.

I definitely wouldn't worry about the difficulty. As with languages, I'm sure you already know that the most important factor in mastering them is motivation and perseverance.

I did both French and Spanish all throughout school and then chose to do French, Spanish and Japanese (from scratch) at university. I enjoyed both my romance languages but I absolutely adored studying Japanese language and Japanese history/literature/philosophy. Now, I'd say my Japanese was similar to a native speaker's :fluffy: .

Do what you're more interested in. (Plus, German is definitely waaaay more in demand as far as the job market goes)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending