The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCSE Maths June 2019 - GRADE 9 STUDENTS!

Poll

What do you think the boundary will be for a grade 9 this year? (EDEXCEL ONLY)

*IF YOU’RE A PREDICTED GRADE 9 STUDENT*

How did you find the papers this year? Did you perform as expected or higher/lower? What’s your estimated mark as well as your prediction for the grade 9 boundary?

I took the exams this year and I think I’ve got 201-203 which is right around last years boundary of 202. I hope the boundaries go down as I should’ve got much higher but paper 3 screwed me over

@Rabbibil V2
@Oljen
@Kithhh
@Marcusmaths
@mez_merising
@Vetrix42
@satsun
@Gent2324

EDIT: Added a poll for the predicted grade 9 boundary :biggrin:
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Moved to the GCSE section :woo:

I sat the three papers this year too, but I'm definitely not a Grade 9 student haha!
Reply 2
Original post by RazzzBerries
Moved to the GCSE section :woo:

I sat the three papers this year too, but I'm definitely not a Grade 9 student haha!

What grade are you aiming for? Is it just me or was paper 3 just so tragic lmao
Original post by jduxie4414

I'd LOVE an 8 or 9, but I think a 7 for me is more likely.

Oh lawd. That was a disaster.
Reply 4
Original post by RazzzBerries
I'd LOVE an 8 or 9, but I think a 7 for me is more likely.

Oh lawd. That was a disaster.

I’m sure you’re going to do really well, good luck next week :smile:

I was doing so well until paper 3 came along haha
I’m sure you’re going to do really well, good luck next week :smile:

I was doing so well until paper 3 came along haha

Thanks, you too! :h:

Right?! Paper 2 got me so gassed and then Paper 3 popped up and I immediately had a nervous breakdown. :rofl:
Got a 9 last year and found the papers alright- good luck everyone
Reply 7
Original post by Blossom-
I thought the papers were ok, I finished paper 3 but had less time than I usually would at the end and probably made a couple mistakes. I think the grade boundaries will go down this year considering these papers were harder than last years

Yeah I’m the same. I made so many little mistakes in paper 3 that added up to quite a lot of marks lost
oh this is the maths thread my bad
Got a grade 8 in mocks, personally these exams were slightly harder than last years, did Alright on paper 1 and 2 but really screwed up on paper 3
eh, i probably got a 6 again. i think im the only one that found paper 3 the easiest?
idk why, but its a thing of mine to always get exactly same marks as the boundary, happens all the time!example if 150 is for a 6 i will probably get 151 marks lol
so yeh, im definately not a grade 9 student unless ur reading this upsidedown
Reply 11

for me paper 1 was tragic, mainly because I struggle working it out myself, with a calculator the methods can be done instantly, and a lot of calculator paper topics are easier imo than paper 1 cause its quite formulated. Paper 1 had me stressed, I got 30 marks that i *knew* i had, hopefully picked a few extras from working out so uhh 35 estimate for paper 1.

Paper 2 comes along and it got me so excited, easiest maths paper I've ever sat. It had a BUNCH of the good topics, i was even able to answer the questions right at the back.

Now I went into year 11 physically scraping a 4. Our teaching for year 10 was horrendous we learnt basically nothing, it was so bad that the deputy head took over our class for year 11 and I gradually improved and my target is an 8. I won't achieve that, I lost too much time from inadequate teaching in year 10. My own personal target was a 6. I need it for computer science.

So despite the disaster for me that was paper 1, I was estimating a good 60 marks for paper 2 taking out silly mistakes I may have made. That's 90 marks. Don't need much more for a 6 if the grade boundaries don't change much.

Paper 3 comes along and the first half of the paper was nice, second half a bit of tragedy, ones with the trapezium and odd shapes and the ummm surface area volume of the paints or whatever? I did get them wrong stupidly at the start of the paper. Especially at the back I couldn't make too many educated guesses. I had done gradient of a tangent to a circle SO many times, but that question at the back had me stumped. The weird bearings at the back? Neither that. Histograms? Made a start but eventually, I couldn't finish it. In truth I can't remember most of Paper 3 apart from maybe 5 or 6 questions. All I remember is coming out of that exam thinking I'd done maybe a bit above my personal average and it was an ok test until the end.

In light of this, I think the boundaries might go up for 7 8 and 9 grades. I don't think grade 6 5 and 4 will change much so im highly highly confident i've got the 6. Due to paper 1's tragedy and the meh that was paper 3 I think i'll fall just short of the 7 which is a shame because aside from maths im straight 7 8 9.
Original post by randomdude456
Got a grade 8 in mocks, personally these exams were slightly harder than last years, did Alright on paper 1 and 2 but really screwed up on paper 3

Do u reckon they’re gonna drop the grade boundaries
Original post by TngHic
for me paper 1 was tragic, mainly because I struggle working it out myself, with a calculator the methods can be done instantly, and a lot of calculator paper topics are easier imo than paper 1 cause its quite formulated. Paper 1 had me stressed, I got 30 marks that i *knew* i had, hopefully picked a few extras from working out so uhh 35 estimate for paper 1.

Paper 2 comes along and it got me so excited, easiest maths paper I've ever sat. It had a BUNCH of the good topics, i was even able to answer the questions right at the back.

Now I went into year 11 physically scraping a 4. Our teaching for year 10 was horrendous we learnt basically nothing, it was so bad that the deputy head took over our class for year 11 and I gradually improved and my target is an 8. I won't achieve that, I lost too much time from inadequate teaching in year 10. My own personal target was a 6. I need it for computer science.

So despite the disaster for me that was paper 1, I was estimating a good 60 marks for paper 2 taking out silly mistakes I may have made. That's 90 marks. Don't need much more for a 6 if the grade boundaries don't change much.

Paper 3 comes along and the first half of the paper was nice, second half a bit of tragedy, ones with the trapezium and odd shapes and the ummm surface area volume of the paints or whatever? I did get them wrong stupidly at the start of the paper. Especially at the back I couldn't make too many educated guesses. I had done gradient of a tangent to a circle SO many times, but that question at the back had me stumped. The weird bearings at the back? Neither that. Histograms? Made a start but eventually, I couldn't finish it. In truth I can't remember most of Paper 3 apart from maybe 5 or 6 questions. All I remember is coming out of that exam thinking I'd done maybe a bit above my personal average and it was an ok test until the end.

In light of this, I think the boundaries might go up for 7 8 and 9 grades. I don't think grade 6 5 and 4 will change much so im highly highly confident i've got the 6. Due to paper 1's tragedy and the meh that was paper 3 I think i'll fall just short of the 7 which is a shame because aside from maths im straight 7 8 9.

Yeah, I understand you on paper 1, I always hate doing the mental maths as I can do the methods very well. I usually do worst in paper 2 as I'm very cautious in paper 1, then when I get to 2 I can do the questions really quickly and normally make loads of little mistakes. I think I got about 73 in paper 1, and 70 in paper 2 (which is very high and I thought I was doing well) and then paper 3 came along... 59 marks. Yeah, the question of the bearing was from a further maths book so that's why it would have been hard to do, and that tangent question definitely required a lot of thought! Paper 3 really ruined my morale and I'm going to miss out on my target grade if the boundaries increase, but hopefully they stay the same/decrease.

My only worry is that because of all the A-Level controversies, Edexcel may not worry as much about GCSE :frown:
Reply 14
I'm predicted a 9- found paper 1 and 2 relatively good and paper 3 meh
Original post by Cov3rt
I'm predicted a 9- found paper 1 and 2 relatively good and paper 3 meh

Yeah same, paper 3 wasn’t hard I just did bad in it. How many marks roughly?
Reply 16
Not sure been avoiding mark schemes
I personally really liked the papers except paper 3 that one was a devil. I think if I had more time then I could’ve answered the unsolvable questions
Original post by ArtmisKco
I personally really liked the papers except paper 3 that one was a devil. I think if I had more time then I could’ve answered the unsolvable questions

For me, it wasn't that the questions were unsolvable, I just didn't have enough time. I normally finish maths papers with 25-30 mins to spare, but I only just managed to finish, leaving SO MANY little mistakes... Edexcel just screwed us over with that paper.
(edited 4 years ago)
Yeah the exam wasn’t bad, I just had a timing issue. Can’t wait to never see a Maths question again 😂

Quick Reply

Latest