The Student Room Group

getting into medicine

Hi i'm currently going into my second year of A levels and I am currently studying biology, chemistry and geography. I aspire to study medicine in the UK and i am from london. I was wondering if i could still be considered a suitable candidate to study medicine with GCSE grades of:
Double science-88(A*A*)Geography-8(A*)English lit-7(A)English lang-5(B/C)Computer science-7(A)Religious studies-7(A)Engineering-merit, A level predictions of :A*A*A and 2800 in the mock ucat with a band 1 in situational judgement?Also some unis for medicine require a 6 in english language at GCSES and because i achieved a 5 and am 1 entry requirement off but i still have good gcses and good a level predictions would I still be a suitable candidate for medicine?
There is a big section of TSR called 'Applying for Medicine' - lots of useful info and advice : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine
Original post by Jordan_Edet
Hi i'm currently going into my second year of A levels and I am currently studying biology, chemistry and geography. I aspire to study medicine in the UK and i am from london. I was wondering if i could still be considered a suitable candidate to study medicine with GCSE grades of:
Double science-88(A*A*)Geography-8(A*)English lit-7(A)English lang-5(B/C)Computer science-7(A)Religious studies-7(A)Engineering-merit, A level predictions of :A*A*A and 2800 in the mock ucat with a band 1 in situational judgement?Also some unis for medicine require a 6 in english language at GCSES and because i achieved a 5 and am 1 entry requirement off but i still have good gcses and good a level predictions would I still be a suitable candidate for medicine?

Hi, your GCSEs look great, not too sure about the eng lang though. your UKCAT score would have to be in comparison to other scores in your cohort so again cannot say too much again. Nevertheless, if you are concerned about your GCSEs hindering your chance of getting into medicine, you could apply to med schools that don't weigh GCSEs as much as e.g. UKCAT or A Levels. That way if you do v well in your UKCAT and A Levels, your GCSEs won't matter as much
Reply 4
Original post by Jordan_Edet

If a med school states they require a 6 in Eng Lang and you only have a 5, you will be rejected without your application being considered any further. Minimum requirements are just that - the minimum that is required, not a suggestion of something around that area. Other courses may make an offer if you do not meet minimum requirements, medicine almost always does not (exceptions being lower offers made to applicants they really likes at interview)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending